Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Song identification

marczellm

This song was played by my favourite 80s synthpop band from Hungary:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBMpWxzxQkM

but I have a suspicion that it's not completely original. Do you recognize where it may have been 'borrowed' from?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

• 1 year later...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am now listening to "Driving The Last Spike" by Genesis and there is a very similar instrumental section.

Life is subtractive.

What "didn't" that tune borrow from?

No disrespect intended, but I heard a ton of influences from all sorts of '80s-'90s era music (the sawtooth synth I-IV lick, slapped Steinberger bass, gated drums, chorused phase switch guitar lead, etc.)...but no specific "lifting" from another specific tune.

Could have been a Lee Ritenour track from his "Banded Together" release (and underrated pop album with a horribly garish mid '90s cover).

[video:youtube]

• 7 months later...

Help me identify this tune! It was playing in the cinema on what felt like a playlist of Christmas songs, but it's definitely some old school movie soundtrack, musical or a Disney animated. Think orchestral arrangement, with the melody played by playful woodwinds and xylophone. A very slight swing feel.

http://i.imgur.com/lPcefuE.png

Life is subtractive.

Why was it immediately familiar for my entire family? Was it prominently featured in some movie?

Life is subtractive.

According to wikipedia:

According to the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) review of Christmas music, "Sleigh Ride" consistently ranks in the top 10 list of most-performed songs written by ASCAP members during the Christmas season worldwide.

ASCAP named "Sleigh Ride" the most popular piece of Christmas music in the USA for the four consecutive years 2009 through 2012, based on performance data tracked by airplay monitoring service, Mediaguide, from over 2,500 radio stations nationwide. Anderson's recording remains the most popular instrumental version, while Johnny Mathis's recording has become the most popular vocal version.

Merry Xmas!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

According to wikipedia:

...American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)...

...the most popular piece of Christmas music in the USA...

We're in Hungary. That's why, to me, it's not so obvious where we've heard it before.

Life is subtractive.

I guess now you know why it was no mystery to many of us! Funny thing is, I knew the song, but I couldn't have come up with its name. ;-)

You asked about whether it was in a movie... also from wikipedia, "The melody of the main strain of the tune was used (with no credit for Anderson) as the main theme of Victor Young's score for the 1949 western Streets of Laredo"

but I doubt that movie was a surprise hit in Budapest...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Why was it immediately familiar for my entire family? Was it prominently featured in some movie?

"Jingle All The Way"

"Home Alone 2"

Couple of family movies there - not sure if they were big in Hungary?

Edit - I just listened to the Home Alone 2 version...it wouldn't be from that!

"Jingle All The Way"

"Home Alone 2"

Couple of family movies there - not sure if they were big in Hungary?

Edit - I just listened to the Home Alone 2 version...it wouldn't be from that!

It might still be possible that the original orchestral version of the tune is playing in the movie somewhere and not be included on the soundtrack album.

But, Jingle All The Way is a movie we watched every Christmas as children. Maybe.

Life is subtractive.

Obviously there's no way to know what seeps through to other countries, but that song is EVERYWHERE here during the Christmas season. When I was a kid, the little spots on channel WNET in New York, the ones where all the employees said, "Merry Christmas from our family to yours," were accompanied by that song, to the point that it seemed just like some automatic soundtrack to Christmas. I never even knew it was a "real" song or might have words, it was just....Christmas.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Archived