Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need: a "Billy Preston" for an excellent SE Michigan Beatles

Steve Force

..Beatles cover band. One of the best Beatles cover band around. They go for the sound, not the look. So if you are interested in joining such a band let me know. They gig occasionally., all hold day jobs. Want to gig more tho. Lead vocal ability a huge plus ("golden Slumbers Medley" on "Abbey Road" would rock.)

I am acting as their intermediary here--I am not in this band.

Good audition tunes include: Solo on "Get Back" and "in my life".

PM me and I will then supply you with more details (YouTube videos, web page, etc.)

Thanks!

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man.... If that had been for SW Michigan - just up the road from me, I'd definitely be up for it. Very best of luck to those guys in finding someone, though. As it looks to be in the greater Detroit area, I'll bet there are a few, kick-ass classic rock keyboardists around. So something good should pop for them.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

My latest gigging project here in Long Island is a Beatles trib, kind of a dream for me because I am a huge lifelong fan, and in decades of playing in all kinds of cover bands, have had very few opportunities to learn and perform this music I love so much. (And it is pretty easy to learn because of how deeply it's burned into my brain-grooves!) Great keyboard showcase even though people might not make that association right away, I get to do all sorts of cool stuff on songs like Penny Lane, I am the Walrus, Strawberry Fields, Golden Slumbers medley like you mentioned, and a lot of their mid-period songs have cool rockin' little piano and wurli parts, very simple for the most part but just fun to play. Just for fun here is some audio of our opening three numbers from our most recent gig (only my second with them) on Thanksgiving eve: http://nursediesel.com/beatle/opening.mp3

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

My latest gigging project here in Long Island is a Beatles trib, kind of a dream for me because I am a huge lifelong fan, and in decades of playing in all kinds of cover bands, have had very few opportunities to learn and perform this music I love so much. (And it is pretty easy to learn because of how deeply it's burned into my brain-grooves!) Great keyboard showcase even though people might not make that association right away, I get to do all sorts of cool stuff on songs like Penny Lane, I am the Walrus, Strawberry Fields, Golden Slumbers medley like you mentioned, and a lot of their mid-period songs have cool rockin' little piano and wurli parts, very simple for the most part but just fun to play. Just for fun here is some audio of our opening three numbers from our most recent gig (only my second with them) on Thanksgiving eve: http://nursediesel.com/beatle/opening.mp3

Sounds great! I would love to play this music live.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Thanks Dave! I was impressed with the mix our guitar player created from the live feed. Keyboards right there loud and clear which is kind of rare, so often they're barely audible.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

It must be a blast to play this stuff. I always wanted to be in a Beatles tribute band, but what would I play during "Day Tripper" or "Help" and still be faithful to the music?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

but what would I play during "Day Tripper" or "Help" and still be faithful to the music?

Tambourine!!! That's what I do with my Beatles Tribute. And it's fun!!!

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Since adding me to their lineup, the band has made an effort to pick songs with keys that give me something to do, and there's no shortage of them, if they don't have some kind of piano, so many have brass, strings, flutes, accordions, sound effects that I sample. On the few we do that are strictly two-guitar with no keys, I try to emulate the second guitar with some kind of electric or acoustic patch; in some cases create my own keyboard part (like some B3 in on the rhythm section for "Taxman") or on one or two where it doesn't seem to work, I just lay out and contribute to the vocals. Same pattern as for any rock cover band, really. But really, surprisingly maybe, there are TONS of Beatles songs we do that give me cool little keyboard showcases.

Rich Forman

We also have a dedicated percussionist who adds all manner of tambourines, shakers, bells, and God-knows-what he has going on over there, so I don't even have to worry about that. So we get a pretty full sound even though there's only one guitarist; we all five sing so the harmonies come out sounding nice and full. The band is very part-time, it is really an alter-ego version or offshoot of a three-piece that the guitarist, bassist and drummer do regularly so they only break the Beatles show out about once a month.

Rich Forman

Wow Ian your Beatles project looks and sounds absolutely amazing, super professional obviously. Mine is just a little neighborhood bar band version, no costumes or really visual multi-media element or anything. Congrats!!!

Rich Forman

Wow Ian your Beatles project looks and sounds absolutely amazing, super professional obviously. Mine is just a little neighborhood bar band version, no costumes or really visual multi-media element or anything. Congrats!!!

Thanks man! It's a real honour and privilege for me to be in this band. In many ways, I feel like I was born for that gig. Huge Beatles fanatic, synth programming and technical chops necessary to pull it off, and I really love arranging and playing orchestral parts.

But as amazing as the band looks and sounds today, they started over five years ago as a little 4-piece playing shitty local bar gigs. They worked and worked their asses off to get better and invested huge amounts of money in costumes, wigs, guitars and stage props to get the show to the next level.

We're still just doing mostly regional theatre gigs. Would love to get national level, but it ain't easy.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Slightly OT, but I went to see the Bootleg Beatles last night (they're usually seen as the top UK Beatles tribute).

As well as the main foursome, they had a string quartet, and a four-piece brass section (french horn, trombone, sax and trumpet - with the french horn and sax both doubling on flute). Plus a guy who played Moog on two songs (Because and Here Comes the Son).

There was a keyboard at the front of the stage for the second half, mostly played by John or Paul but the sax player covered a couple of songs. It was in a shell so I couldn't see what it was.

Great show, IMHO, with excellent costumes as well as the music being spot on.

Sounds good. I have seen most of the big ones at least regionally around here over the years, I think the best was simply called Liverpool and appropriately they were the house band at the NYC BeatleFest this past spring. Interesting what a large and enduring market for these acts there is, it's an art in itself. Just another signifier of what a huge influence and impact the fabs had, how ingrained not only their songs but their imagery, their look, and collective persona are in our whole culture all over the world.

Rich Forman

Archived