Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First analog synth for noob

slg1013

Any opinions on a Mopho keyboard for $400?

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions...

Steve

if it is the keyboard, not the rack, it's an excellent price.

it would be an incredible first synth for someone. :thu:

:nopity:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surprised nobody mentioned the Alesis Ion yet. Also has a great knobby layout (with the 3-osc mixer section also set-up just like a Minimoog), has numerous filter types like Moog, Oberheim, Roland, ARP, Sequential, etc. - and a killer modulation matrix, and 2 mod wheels. Probably the best sounding VA for vintage 70s emulations. But the prices are going up and fewer are being sold now. People must have caught on to just how capable of a synth this is. Just 6 months ago you could get one for ~$420, now prices are around ~$580 for those few musicians still willing to sell theirs off. Glad I pulled the trigger a couple years ago and snagged one for $380.

I was curious why no one else mentioned the ION previously too. I bought my ION brand new because I wanted real subtractive synth layout and a synth that I could use for my LIVE classic rock show. I did not want to risk taking any of my vintage KB's on gigs anymore.

The ION is a very capable synth and nails many of the classic sounds. It stays in tune too.

We all know that VA's aren't as gutsy as real analog, and the filters on VA's are not as robust either, but they are certainly respectable on the ION. Its worth a listen.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived