Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggestions for a digital grand(baby) piano for church

aellison62

Hi KC peeps,

The music director at my church wants to purchase a digital grand piano to keep at the church.We are going digital because of the substantial temperature fluctuations in the sanctuary where it will live. We already own a Roland 700NX so we are not looking for a stage piano but truly something that looks and sounds like a grand piano.

I don't have any experience with this type of keyboard, does anyone have any make/model recommendations, advice? I thought we would visit some local piano dealers and start there.

Thanks,

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want something that really looks the part I would look at the Kawai CP209. It is in a nice ebony polished cabinet. It is not cheap. I am guessing somewhere between 10 and 15 grand. MSRP is 20 grand.

Yamaha N3 Avant Grand is a nice instrument. I've played it and was impressed but the cabinet is funny looking. It doesn't have the right curves. But the thing I like about the N3 is the keyboard looks right. It has the simple keyboard appeareance with drop down cover like a real piano.

The Kawai is all decked out with the electronic controls. It looks like the navigation panel of a Klingon Battle Crusier. but the cabinet is a fantastic 5'3" baby.

Roland has been doing this for a longtime but I have never played one.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/V-Piano_Grand/

When Young Chang bought Kurzweil they started doing this but I don't know they they still do digital grands or not.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

That's why I asked about budget.

As a Director of Music at my church unfortunately the "almighty buck's" the deciding factor. We have a Boston baby grand & while it's great to play the constant up-keep will nickel & dime your collection plate, plus it wasn't cheap!! We are looking at a shell with a high end DP (possibly a Forte) which will never go out of tune & will be way more versatile sound wise & bang for the buckeroo. As a wise sage once said on this forum... piano's are like circus elephants. ;)

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

I really like Kurzweil's line of digital baby grands. Great sounds, great amplification system, ect. But do check out some of the alternatives such as using a shell. There are at least 4-5 companies doing this in the US that will ship all over, and some are quite affordable. Just type 'Grand Piano Shell' into Google, and it'll give you a few options.

Let's not forget Kawai. The CP209 is an excellent digital grand.

I played one once and I really liked it. The local Kawai dealer here in Richmond didn't quote me a price so I'm not sure what they cost.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

OK, great suggestions I'm getting, if we were to go the "upper end digital piano slab in a shell" route, what REALLY nice DP's come to mind to put in a shell? The newer Kurzweil Forte was mentioned and I would agree that the new 6 velocity German Grand on that would be a strong contender. What is the latest Kawai slab? How about Yamaha? CP- series? I will also pass along the Roland RG-3F and V-piano suggestions as well as the Kawai CP-209. (I always loved Kawai grand pianos)

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

The Kawai slab is awesome. It is the MP-11.

[video:youtube]

If software is an option then the VPC-1 is supposed to be a killer action.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived