Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New 88 Keys Keyboard

pcarrilho

Hi!

I need yo buy a new 88 hammer action keyboard, with good acoustic pianos.

My options so far:

- Yamaha S90XS: Love that keyboard, but a little bit expensive and it is "old"...

- Yamaha MOXF8: Good sounds to, but bad action (is like a "toy"

- Kurzweil PC3K8: Good, but "old"???

- KURZWEIL ARTIS: ???

- ROLAND FA8: Is like a toy!

- NORD: I have a ELECTRO 4, so i don't need another NORD

Well, what do you think? Is worth the "old" S90XS?

Kurzweil PC3K8 - Nord WAVE - Roland VR760

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PC3K8 has 128 Mb flash, so i can load in it for example the K-Sounds pianos...

My really concern about the Kurzweils is related with the key action.

But, yes... the new ARTIS may be a good choice... the new piano sound is really good, and has a lot of sounds from the PC3 series.

Kurzweil PC3K8 - Nord WAVE - Roland VR760

PC3K8 has 128 Mb flash, so i can load in it for example the K-Sounds pianos...

My really concern about the Kurzweils is related with the key action.

But, yes... the new ARTIS may be a good choice... the new piano sound is really good, and has a lot of sounds from the PC3 series.

Though action feel can be very subjective, most people would say that the Artis action is not as good as the PC3K8 action.

If your focus is on piano sound and high quality action, and you also want a range of other sounds (which I infer is the case from your comment about the benefit of lots of PC3 sounds in the Artis), in the price range you seem to be in, I'd say you should be looking at Yamaha CP4, Roland RD800, Kawai MP7.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

S90XS has great action, and while "old", has some fantastic sounds.

Why is the FA08 a toy? Because it's lightweight? I went from the Yamaha to the FA08 and it has a lot of advantages over the Yamaha, enough of them for me to make the change.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I too have an Electro 4, but don't see how you can discount the Nord piano 2. The Fazioli piano sample is incredible plus the uprights are outstanding. All metal and wood chassis....certainly not a toy but still under 40 lbs.

Grant it, it is not a workstation if that is what you need.......but I am SERIOUSLY considering the Nord piano 2 as a PC3x replacement. It also has the TP40 Fatar keybed which I am very comfy with from the Kurz.

All this is good stuff but you you want opinions on the S90XS then I can spew some.

I love the S90XS and IMO there really isn't anything else like it on market regardless of age. Pianos IMO is it's weakness. I hated the pianos for the first 3 months I owned it but I have some 3rd party piano patches I further tweaked that are decent. My Kawais kick it's ass IMO as far as stock piano sounds.

I like the S90XS action because it is balanced and I use the board as a controller. It is also a very light action and it is fast. It is a good compromise for use as a synth controller. I like the balance because right to left is irrevelvant as to what split tomes I may cover. Example in my setup for Funhouse far left is a high brass section, the middle of the keybed is a saturated saw pad and to the right is a square lead. I don't want to left heavier than the right because I play a lot of splits.

The sound library is great but fairly static. You can edit what is there but it is esentially a ROMpler.

I think it boils down to do you really want a workstation with good control features? If so do you really want a Balanced action or do you want a Piano style action?

If you want primarily a stage piano I would look at Kawai, Nord, or the Yamaha CP4. The S6 samples on the S90XS suck. The ones on the CP4 are much better.

That said I like the S90XS a lot. It is my mainboard there is nothing available that can replace it at this time.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Again, answer this very important question: How good do the other sounds need to be vs how good you need the piano to be?

The answer to that question will lead you down a couple different paths. Then we'll be able to help you.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Again, answer this very important question: How good do the other sounds need to be vs how good you need the piano to be?

The answer to that question will lead you down a couple different paths. Then we'll be able to help you.

Right. Based on what you say, piano is key, but based on most of your selections, you need a pretty full-featured kit. Also, not just how good on the other sounds, but do you need zones, controller features, and the flexibility to create new sounds? Workstation features?

Assuming you meant what you said more than the examples you gave, I suggest a CP4, which I just got, and I love the action and really like the pianos. It has the ability to split and layer (and both at the same time; CP40 is nearly the same but split OR layer). You can adjust FX parameters and tweak EQ and envelopes, but other than that, you're stuck with the built-in sounds. The S90 series is a pretty full-function ROMpler-based synthesizer with the ability to get right down to how sounds are made and dial up your own, if I understand it correctly (and ditto MOXF8).

The piano in the CP4 is modeled, not sampled, if that matters to you. What matters to me is how it sounds and feels. I think I actually prefer samples to models, but as I said, I'm very happy with the CP4 regardless.

I like the S90XS action because it is balance and I use the board as a controller. It is also a very light action and it is fast. It is a good compromise for use as a synth controller.
That's a great point and often overlooked. One of the things I really like about my old MR76 is that it also has a decent but fast and light hammer action, one that's a very good compromise between piano and synth, falling more on the piano side, but more usable for synth than most DPs like the CP4. But I find I so rarely play synth sounds any more, I'm now happier with a more piano-like action. If I played more synth stuff, I'd have got a Casio PX-5S or MOXF8. I'd also have got one of the latter if I needed more control and flexibility. I figure I can add more of that later with a tablet.

One of the things I really like about my old MR76 is that it also has a decent but fast and light hammer action, one that's a very good compromise between piano and synth, falling more on the piano side, but more usable for synth than most DPs like the CP4.

That's one of the things I like about the Kawai MP7. It has a great feeling piano action, but it's also one of the few weighted actions where I don't cringe at the thought of playing organ on it. That allows for some alternate scenarios, if you ever want to gig with a single board (it has decent organ capability), or if you would like your weighted 88 to do double duty as "lower manual" for a single manual clonewheel above it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Get a Kawai ES100 and MIDI your Electro to it.

Or, if you really like Yamaha's balanced hammer action (the one that's in the S90XS), find a used S90ES/S90/MO8/S08 (they all use the same balanced action) and MIDI your Electro to it.

The piano in the CP4 is modeled, not sampled...

Are you sure about that?

I believe the only modelled hardware digital pianos are the Roland V-Piano/V-Grand and Physis. I expect the CP4 uses sampled, with some DSP modelling for resonance, reverb, effects, amp sim etc.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.

Nord Electro 3 fan &

The piano in the CP4 is modeled, not sampled...

Are you sure about that?

I believe the only modelled hardware digital pianos are the Roland V-Piano/V-Grand and Physis. I expect the CP4 uses sampled, with some DSP modelling for resonance, reverb, effects, amp sim etc.

Cheers,

James

x

James is correct. The "Spectral Component Modeling" doesn't mean it is a modeled piano tone, is just as he states: sampled pianos with DSP modeling. They even state which pianos they sample in the product promos.

Archived