Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard recommendation por favor

EJ_NYC

I believe the 88 has a graded action befitting a piano-type status. Keyboard build is a hateful topic in general, as so many are iffy-to-rotten, so try to lay hands to one first. Its too personal to define for another person.

In the Casio flurry, no one pointed to the right sources for latching onto why it IS a good instrument, deserving of consideration.

A very good general review

SOS review

Mike Martin of Casio demos the instrument.

I'd add a thumbs-up for the synth section. Those six (that's SIX) layers get huge easily. Prowling the user groups can be beneficial, as there are free sounds to be had readily. I'm biased as a happy Logic user, but that plus the PX and its editor would be scary-potent with nothing else included.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OP wants a board with a sequencer, so I don't know why everyone keeps talking about the Casio!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

OP wants a board with a sequencer, so I don't know why everyone keeps talking about the Casio!

Um... brain-freeze born of so many people being well-invested in DAWs now? I glitched, sorry! I cut my sequencing teeth on a big Korg, but its hard to imagine living with even a Kronos-level display after taking up Logic. The OP *could* conceivably accompany prepared material coming from the Casio's USB drive, but that drags it back to the DAW world too much. In practical terms, his friendliest bets for onboard sequencing are basically a Roland FA or a Korg. Yamaha has a certain crystalline overall tone that I like, but their OS demands a little more study and commitment.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

UPDATE

So peeps - it's been a few months, but thank you for all the info and recommendations! I have decided to go with the Korg Kross 88. I'd like to apologize also for being critical about the Casios. I did get to play some of them, and you're absolutely right, they have come a long way.

I'm sticking with Korg because I'm a Korg guy, it's what I know best. I really liked the sound and feel of the Yamaha P105 as well, but it's so much more limited in terms of other instrument sounds you can get, not to mention the sequencer, etc., which, even if you use Logic like I do, still comes in handy sometimes.

Props to CEB -

From Korg, I think the Krome 88 sucks ($1650). But I found the cheaper Kross 88 ($999) played better than the Krome. I don't understand that at all. I thought they had the same action.

I was leaning towards the Krome just based on what I read everywhere else - and I assumed it would be a better board, priced higher, etc. - but after playing it, the action was decidedly light and inferior to the Kross. Good call, CEB!

I'll be around periodically and will undoubtedly share some of my upcoming creations.

Cheers!

Archived