Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What to buy for a second rig?

Adam Burgess

Currently using my Stage 2 and Kronos 61 five nights a week in a mon-fri residency and love the combo. Now got a Friday and Saturday afternoon gig in a different venue. Was contemplating getting maybe one board to cover the new gig and save the transport... Something cheap like the Casio or maybe wait for the big new Kronos? Any other good all-rounders you'd recommend?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Middle of the road Soul/Pop/Rock. Needs to be an 88, just bread and butter stuff - AP, EPs, organs, odd mono lead here and there.

Mostly simple patches, but I am used to plenty of control within them, however, with the Nord's morph thing and 3x pedals each on the existing boards.

Budget isn't a huge issue. I'm lucky to be busy enough with very few expenses at the moment so I'd spend - but would like to think of a new board as an investment or, at least, have a decent resale value... Torn between the weight issue because it can life semi-permanently at the venue till the gig stops but also I'm 4000 miles away from home...

For that kind of thing I like the Roland VR-700 BUT you want 88 and I am guessing weighted.

I'm a Yamaha guy when it comes to bread and butter sounds but... the organs suck.

That leaves me with 3 choices.

1) The Kronos - but you would probably want to wait for the new Kronos.

2) Kawai MP-7 - it is a great general sound set and a great interface, especially as a single board where nothing will get stacked on it. The Organ tones on the MPs are decent and you have quasi drawbars.... sort of.

3) The Casio PX5S. it is only $1000 and it doesn't suck. Maybe it holds you over until the new Kronos comes out.

What I would probably do if I was in your position is look for a used Fantom or used Kronos if I was going to leave it at the venue and you won't take a huge hit from depreciation.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Just some good clean fun. But not weighted keybed.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Well, if budget and weight aren't necessarily an issue, you could just duplicate what you have at the second venue. ;-) With the transport back and forth you're doing right now, do you even have to take both boards? Or does the Nord alone cover it just fine?

Other than a Stage 2 (or a Kronos 88), if you want a single board to cover AP, EP, organ, mono lead), sure, the Casio PX5S could cover it at low cost and low weight, though be aware that there's no true mono lead mode. Up from there, I'd look at the Kawai MP7, which I think probably beats it in all those sounds (not sure about EP?) as well as in action and interface/ergonomics, and is still very well priced. Or if you want to go high end, maybe look at the Kurzweil Forte. (edit: Kurzweil Artis could be another more moderately priced possibility.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

this is based on what, exactly?

To Sven: Popular used keyboards such as the PX-5S that are in good condition bring the best resale prices. "Excellent" is a relative term regarding music items. I did an extensive internet search and could not find one used PX-5S for sale. That tells me that the private parties and/or dealers are not dumping them or if they are selling their used units they are not using Ebay or other online outlets.

To Sven: The last two PX-5S boards that were listed here on the forum sold quickly, one within three days in October for $750 and the other in September for $675. Jim A. has one for sale for $900 but that includes many extras and is for a charity event. Considering you can buy a brand new unit for under $800 I'd say the resale prices posted were "excellent".

I'll go try the Casio soon! Bit tricky to test stuff out here in the Middle East but I've seen someone with one! I'll hunt him down...

Maybe I could squeeze everything out of another Nord Stage but there's that waiting game with the Stage3? May as well wait for the new Kronos...

Not a fan of the RD800. Can't think exactly why but it just didn't have that brain finger ear connection thing...

Hmm, I'm no further forward haha!

As for the resale thing, the UAE is a small place and would need something popular and known that's not too niche'd.

Archived