Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bands you haven't seen but wish you had

Markay

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emerson, Lake, and Powell

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Kansas

GTR

Jimmy Smith

Buddy Rich

Maynard Ferguson (he was on campus when I was in college, and somehow I missed him!)

Yes (with Bruford on drums)

BS&T when Lew Soloff was on trumpet

Van Halen (don't laugh) with Hagar

Elton John with Ray Cooper

The Band

NY Philharmonic with Bernstein

E. Power Biggs

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Pink Floyd

Led Zep

Orleans

Kansas

ELP

Queen

Weather Report

Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band

Oscar Peterson

Dave Brubeck

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

OMG, you mean that Aerosmith were supporters to the present-day Van Halen?

(gasps of horror and shock)

Oh, and as I see you are Aussie, I must unashamedly admit that I always loved Midnight Oil, especially their seventies-early-eighties stuff.

But also for them I guess it's a bit too late... how's Garrett's political career going? ;)

DLR returned to EVH for that gig.

Peter retired before the last election, political career over. The Oils re-united briefly for a benefit concert a little while ago - while Peter was still a government cabinet member. They started out in the same area as me so saw them in the halcyon days of Aussie pub rock. You may have seen them on one of their tours of the US with Hunters and Collectors.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Peter retired before the last election, political career over.

You may have seen them on one of their tours of the US with Hunters and Collectors.

unfortunately I live in Italy, I don't know how many EU tour the Oils ever did, but I surely missed them.

Well if Peter is now retired, who knows, maybe we'll enjoy some reunion tour!

;)

I got to see George Duke, Stanley Clarke and Billy Cobham as a trio in a very small jazz club. I was awestruck and a big +1 for sitting right in front of George's rig. It was a whole new lesson in what human hands can do. It was a defining moment.

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

Beatles, Return to Forever, Weather Report, Miles Davis, Jimmy Smith, Otis Spann, Horace Silver, Professor Longhair, Doors, The Band, Spencer Davis, Nat King Cole, Django Reinhardt, Duke Ellington, Hank Williams Sr., Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, Jimmy Rogers, Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys.... and many more.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Johnny Cash was my first music hero, going back to when I was a young kid. I thought he was badass, and I had all of his albums. From my late-teenage years through my mid/late twenties, he would play this nice 2,500 seat venue located 15 minutes from my parents house about once per year. I kept saying, "I'll catch him next time" but never did.

Moral: Go see your heroes, NOW!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I had a similar situation with Ray Charles, not as often as your Johnny Cash situation, but always just wasn't convenient. Then it was too late.

Also wish I had seen Rod Stewart when he was with Jeff Beck, but I was only 9 years old at the time. :laugh:

:nopity:

Davis&

Shorter&

Hancock&

Carter&

Williams

Also,

Coltrane&

Tyner&

Garrison&

Jones

Yeah.

Also:

James Brown

Tower of Power (Original lineup)

Ray Charles

Headhunters

Portishead

Kanye West w/ John Legend and A-Trak

Avishai Cohen w/ Shai Maestro and Mark Guiliana

The Jazz Messengers

Booker T. & the MG's

Jean Leloup

Michael Jackson

Weather Report

Les Colocs

I could go on forever, but whatever. Probably would mostly be big jazz dudes anyway. Y'all know 'em.

I've barely missed Snarky Puppy and Tigran Hamasyan's quintet in the past, but I feel like I'll have other chances.

Forum glitch? I was trying to edit my earlier post.

Davis&

Shorter&

Hancock&

Carter&

Williams

Also,

Coltrane&

Tyner&

Garrison&

Jones

What he said, also:

- Bill Evans trio (w/LaFaro & Motian OR Eddie Gomez/Morell)

- Return 2 Forever w/Joe Farrell

- Herbie (Maiden Voyage days)

Fortunately I saw Weather Report in DC around 1980 with Jaco and Peter Erskine on drums, excellent...

Yep, I saw CSN several years ago for that very reason. Neither Stills or Crosby looked well and it was not quite 4 way Street but nonetheless enough of their magic was in the air for to it be an enjoyable night.

About the same time I saw EC for the very last time. The very model of a grumpy old man. Derek Trucks was the highlight and fortunately Eric let Derek do all the heavy lifting.

Also quite a few UK heritage acts have toured here over the past 5 years including the Searchers and Spencer Davis. While these charted before my time the Searchers had most of the original line up and sounded true to the original. Plenty of singing along in the 400 capacity venue I saw these in. Needles and Pinsah particularly seemed to please the mainly ex-pat poms in the audience.

Spencer Davis was at pains to make sure we knew that the guy on B3 had been with band since shortly after Steve Winwood's departure.

More coming up - I just got tix for the Manfreds when they tour in the middle of 2015.

Current line up here

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Grateful Dead with Brent Mydland on keys (he died the summer before my first show)

Gentle Giant

Gabriel-era Genesis

Frank Zappa

T. Rex

Jerry Garcia Band

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

UK

Here's kind of a cool story. About three years ago I had a ticket to see UK at the Vic Theater in Chicago. I was going to meet tonysounds and (IIRC) a couple of other forum members at the show. On the day of the concert my dad (who was a musician, but very sick at the time) had brain surgery, so obviously I couldn't go. So I ended up selling the ticket to the drummer in my band. Our drummer was in this quasi-proggy side project, and he ends up meeting a smokin' bass player (Marty) at the show....who ends up joining the project. Fast forward to the present date, and I am now playing keys in said project....and having a blast. My dad has since departed (he passed away a couple of months after the surgery), but I get this feel-good vibe every time I look across the stage while jamming with Marty. Can't help but occasionally feeling a little channeled to dad when this occurs....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

UK

Here's kind of a cool story.

Can't help but occasionally feeling a little channeled to dad when this occurs....

:cool::thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Stevie Ray Vaughn was at The Ballpark, Old Orchard Beach, Maine, in the summer of 1985. I had tickets. My girlfriend had a headache so we didn't go.

5 years later he was dead.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Archived