Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bands you haven't seen but wish you had

Markay

Reflecting on the Yes concert from Saturday night got me thinking about other bands I have never seen live but wish I had.

Two came to mind, Focus and the J Geils band. Checked on Wiki and both are still active so there is still a chance.

So any bands or artists you didn't see first time round and would still like to see?

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gabriel-era Genesis.

Thats a real shame Bill.

I saw the Foxtrot, Lamb and Selling England tours and comparing them to the versions of the songs Phil sang is chalk and cheese.

I regret missing Dire Straits and The Police.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

As my greatest musical passion is 70-80s rock, I missed most of it for anagraphical reasons.

But then, we've been blessed with the internet, free music download (aka piracy) and CD sales crashing, and suddenly in the '00s all the big names began touring like crazy again!

And so I've been able to see many of my most-wanted, most of them in more or less original lineup.

I don't really mind "reunion" things, I know it's only for money, but as long as the musical quality is still good and the band is the original one, why miss the chance?

Caught up with Aerosmith, Springsteen, Stones, Santana, Leonard Cohen, Dylan, Neil Young+Crazy Horse, and many others. Saw James Brown in one of his very last gigs (still in half-decent shape, it wasn't so sad as I feared). Saw Simon & Garfunkel's reunion.

Saw Police in the reunion tour of 2008, and they blew me away, they were better at 60 than they were in the eighties. Just the 3 of them, no tracks, no keyboards, nothing, and I've rarely heard a fuller sound. And Copeland is a monster, an orchestra by himself.

The only ones I really miss, and will always miss for obvious reasons, are Queen (my favourite band ever), Dire Straits (saw Mark Knopfler multiple times, but not the same thing) and Pink Floyd (again, saw Roger Water's The Wall and it was breathtaking, but...).

I badly miss Van Halen, but would never, EVER pay to see them now. So sad for them.

Like you I have caught up with quite a few over the years. Saw Roger Waterrs The Wall which was good but not Pink Floyd. Saw EVH heading the bill over Aerosmith about 18 months ago, should have been the other way round. Backing track keys for what he gets paid meh. At least he was in tune with it though.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Gabriel-era Genesis.

yeah, if they ever did a reunion (not gonna happen, right?)

I would be there for that. I never saw Genesis live until Abacab. I do recall seeing Genesis with Peter on one of the late night TV music shows in the early 70's, it has stuck with me after all those years.

:nopity:

Like you I have caught up with quite a few over the years. Saw Roger Waterrs The Wall which was good but not Pink Floyd. Saw EVH heading the bill over Aerosmith about 18 months ago, should have been the other way round. Backing track keys for what he gets paid meh. At least he was in tune with it though.

OMG, you mean that Aerosmith were supporters to the present-day Van Halen?

(gasps of horror and shock)

Oh, and as I see you are Aussie, I must unashamedly admit that I always loved Midnight Oil, especially their seventies-early-eighties stuff.

But also for them I guess it's a bit too late... how's Garrett's political career going? ;)

Gabriel-era Genesis.

Thats a real shame Bill.

I saw the Foxtrot, Lamb and Selling England tours and comparing them to the versions of the songs Phil sang is chalk and cheese.

I regret missing Dire Straits and The Police.

Well, I wasn't *quite* old enough yet. :)

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Gabriel-era Genesis.

i saw them on their first US tour in evanston ( chicago). Smaller venue, under 2000 seats.

I think that was 1972. Incredible. There might be a DVD around

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Led Zep

Kate Bush

Skinny Puppy

Genesis (those first few tours with Phil singing lead)

the Allman Brothers

Husker Du

Roger Waters-led Pink Floyd

Queen...turned down a free ticket to an '82 show, too. Dumbass be my name

I'm sure there's more, but not all that many more, really. I've seen a lot of bands at a lot of shows.

Spider: I've seen VH 4 times over the years - twice with Dave on lead vocals ('80 and '82), and twice with Gary (both in '98). The Gary shows were FAR superior to the Dave shows. Dave was blasted out of his mind both times...and unfortunately, so was Alex that 2nd time. Mike Anthony saved their asses (well, to some extent) both times.

OB Dave: saw James once - opening for The Police in Toronto back in '83. He kicked ass, but the crowd did not treat him well. Most of the crowd was booing, and somebody threw a grapefruit at him. Yes, a grapefruit. Considering I practically got cavity-searched before they let me in, I still wonder how that was possible.

I missed seeing Gentle Giant by the width of a mere hair. I occasionally gnaw on my arm over that, even now, as Kerry Minnear is one of the better keyboardists in the pack. I always appreciated their work, but "Free Hand" sent me ass-over-teakettle. I did get to see Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis' LAMB tour, Zappa twice, BOC & (of all bands) The Strawbs on a double bill, Camel and Nektar. Then there was the other side of greats such as Randy Newman and Leo Kottke, as well as Christopher Parkening. I'm a lucky guy, as all of them are part of my personal synthesis.

Its both amusing and satisfying to hear bits of them creep into my own pieces. I once very unintentionally came up with a real Zappa chord-cluster moment out of the blue. I got to chat with him briefly, partly because I mentioned Penderecki. I said "I almost hate it when you release a new album." "Howzat?" "Because you set the bar so high again, I have to go woodshed some more!" "That's the way its supposed to be, isn't it?" A good moment that made us both grin.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Gabriel-era Genesis.

i saw them on their first US tour in evanston ( chicago). Smaller venue, under 2000 seats.

I think that was 1972. Incredible. There might be a DVD around

Wow! There are bits and pieces of footage from that era, but no full concert.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Davis&

Shorter&

Hancock&

Carter&

Williams

Also,

Coltrane&

Tyner&

Garrison&

Jones

Yeah.

Also:

James Brown

Tower of Power (Original lineup)

Ray Charles

Headhunters

Portishead

Kanye West w/ John Legend and A-Trak

Avishai Cohen w/ Shai Maestro and Mark Guiliana

The Jazz Messengers

Booker T. & the MG's

Jean Leloup

Michael Jackson

Weather Report

I could go on forever, but whatever. Probably would mostly be big jazz dudes anyway. Y'all know 'em.

I've barely missed Snarky Puppy and Tigran Hamasyan's quintet in the past, but I feel like I'll have other chances.

(whoops, posted this in the wrong thread so I'm just gonna resay it here!) -

Funny Markay, J. Geils is near the top of my list too, and like you say, I harbor hope that there's still time on that one. I also have missed getting a chance to see Bad Company with Paul Rogers (saw them without him back in the 90's but that doesn't count at all), I think that would be a great classic rock show. And I was very bummed to not catch the Raspberries on their brief reunion gigs a few years back. And I'd still like to see VH with DLR, missed that one a few years back as well. Often times one's own gig schedule as well as financial situation or other logistics prevents us from taking advantage of some of these chances when they do come up. Most of my other big favorites I think I've probably managed to catch multiple times over the years.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Funny Markay, J. Geils is near the top of my list too, and like you say, I harbor hope that there's still time on that one.

The Geils Band is the opening act for Bob Seger's upcoming tour.

As someone who's seen them several times including all reunions---it's fantastic. Nothing against Seger, but I wish he was the opener. Oh well...

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

Weather Report

Jaco Pastorius

Headhunters

Miles Davis (especially´63-68´)

Bill Evans Trio w Lafaro & Motian

EW&F in the 70´s (saw them in the 80´s)

George Duke in the 70´s

Frank Zappa w George Duke

Gino Vannelli in the 70´s

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Gentle Giant.

Gabriel-era Genesis, though I did see The Musical Box this summer, and I feel like that itch got scratched.

King Crimson in the Bruford/Wetton era. I'm listening my way through the Road to Red box in order, on disc 13 as I write this. IMHO, this was one of the greatest bands of all time.

Miles.

The Band.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Archived