Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hello! A photo of my modest setup.

rdnzl

Hello everyone.

I'm a relative beginner. I used to play organ back in the late 60's, and I have just recently decided to get back into playing. More or less learning all over again. Here is my setup. I will be moving it into a spare bedroom/studio soon.

Korg Kross. Hammond SK-1. Yamaha HS8's.

http://i.imgur.com/sOTE6Xi.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey rdnzl! Welcome to the forum! Very nice setup. I don't have any experience with the Korg, but I'm enjoying using my school's SK1 in rehearsals!

Check out the Key Threads. You'll find the Introductions thread and a couple mainstays. There are, however, plenty of other threads that are worth checking out through a search, like the Dig my Rig thread. ;) As you can see, if you have a question or want to discuss a topic, chances are that the discussion has already been started! The community here is incredibly well-connected and resourceful, so this place is like a keyboard newsroom sometimes. Enjoy! :wave::cool:

Welcome.

You describe it as modest, but it should get the job done (if you gig out, you'll need amplification).

Similar - SK1 and choice of PC3 in 3 sizes here. My avatar photo shows the SK1 and two of the Kurzweils.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Welcome aboard... I played a Kross 88 at the Shitar Center a few days ago and was actually pleasantly surprised. In fact the Kross's key-sound connection "felt" better to me than its more expensive big brother, the Chrome 88. It seems like a very giggable board. IMO the Kross coupled with the SK1 gives you a good live lightweight rig.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Welcome, rdnzl. Great rig ! I also use a Hammond clone, topside, for live gigs - an XK-1c. I think Hammond has done a great job with their latest one-manual organs. I played a Kross 88 a few weeks back at a local GC, but didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with it. The pianos and electric pianos were very expressive, and quite smooth to play. Curious as to what sounds you've been exploring on the instrument. It looks to have a pretty extensive palette of sounds.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I am pretty fond of the Doors riders on the storm prog. It is something I have been using to get my fingers in shape. Simple to play along with the percussion, and plenty of leeway for me to practice some chords and simple melodies while relearning how to play.

The percussion is very good IMO, and sounds great through the HS8's.

I like many of the synth sounds, and the strings have some real gems in there. I havent messed much with the brass or guitars.

There are 4 or five really nice pianos that I like a lot.

I haven't messed with the sequencer yet.

For a minute I thought you were the guy at CES '14 in Vegas, played in the Foyer at LVH and had his Keyboards attached to a Bose T1 tilted up at him like a stand/monitor rig.

Surprisingly well suited for the room.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

That's a great set-up - have all your bases covered with those two. I am really surprised to see how big the Kross 88 really is. The SK-1 looks tiny above it - and I know it's not a small KB. I know there was someone who couldn't use the Kross simply because it was too long to fit across the back seat of their car. I guess the frame and the wheel position add the inches quickly.

Archived