Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pianogram: Cool way of visualizing note usage for a song

Ashville.Guru

I came across a neat way of visualizing how many times a note is hit in a composition. It's a web app called 'Pianogram': Klonk. You can upload any song in the form of a MIDI file, and it shows how often each key is hit.

For Chopin's Etudes, the results look something like this:

http://s27.postimg.org/59auotxpf/Zes_YNTW.jpg

Not that it's incredibly useful or anything, but still, nice to look at.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Might be interesting to take a multi-track sequence and break into multiple files to see how well your various parts find their "place" within the range - though tat would also be dependent on harmonic content of each sound.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Reading the less than 76 keys thread made me think of an use for this thing.

Generate tons of pictures and lobby manufacturers for more 7X key boards with the right key ranges...!

:Python:

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Reading the less than 76 keys thread made me think of an use for this thing.

Generate tons of pictures and lobby manufacturers for more 7X key boards with the right key ranges...!

:Python:

- Guru

That's actually pretty good. You could record a histogram of entire gigs in different genres to see what the actual needs are. I'm guessing that the high and low extremes would consist of an occasional tweedle here and a thump there rather than a clear indication of the useful cutoff point at either end for a manufacturing decision though.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Archived