Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS Attack - Anyone experienced with the SK2?

Mr. Nightime

I favor a Mark V tone, which is very bright clanky, and bell-like. I also like a dry Dynod Mark 1, like Brent Mydland circa 1980-81. I cant seem to get even close to that, so I just dont deal with it.but I really crave it.

QUESTION to SK1/2 users: Has anyone achieved this belly Rhodes tone on the SK? If so, how?

Ive tried to EQ to no avail.just gets thin. I dont even know if layering is an option.

Help a brother out!

Have you tried tinkering with the Velocity Offset parameter (Pg. 78 #24)? It can be a little hard to generate high velocity values without really hitting the keys on the SKs. That can cause the full attack harmonics to not be triggered. The offset parameter adds (or subtracts) a value to/from the actual generated velocity to get the value you want at the force at which you want to play.

No I haven't. But I will. Thanks for the tip!

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I built an 8 pin adapter to use with my Vent which allowed me to still use the speed switches on the panel as well as a footswitch plugged into the organ.

Mr. Nightime, very sorry to hear of your wife's health issues. Like the others here,I wish you both the best.

As for routing the extra voices of the SK2 separately from the organ, Mate Stubb has what sounds like the ultimate solution. However if,like me,you don't feel technically proficient enough to undertake such a project,Hammond makes an adaptor cable which separates the organ voices from the extra voices. It plugs into the 8 pin out,but all it does is separate the organs from the extras. It provides no ability to switch speeds on a Vent,Leslie or anything else. The 6 inch version is a little pricey at around $40.00 U.S. It does have a lifetime warrantee. There is also a 15 foot version. The 6 inch version is part #003-011-059613. Fifteen footer is part #003-001-059693. I use the 6 inch version with my Vent and it does exactly what it claims to do. I use an Ashby remote speed switch for the Vent.

I think once you get your hands on the SK2 you'll like it. I do find that the Vent does really good things for it,but it still sounds really good without.

I built an 8 pin adapter to use with my Vent which allowed me to still use the speed switches on the panel as well as a footswitch plugged into the organ.

Mr. Nightime, very sorry to hear of your wife's health issues. Like the others here,I wish you both the best.

As for routing the extra voices of the SK2 separately from the organ, Mate Stubb has what sounds like the ultimate solution. However if,like me,you don't feel technically proficient enough to undertake such a project,Hammond makes an adaptor cable which separates the organ voices from the extra voices. It plugs into the 8 pin out,but all it does is separate the organs from the extras. It provides no ability to switch speeds on a Vent,Leslie or anything else. The 6 inch version is a little pricey at around $40.00 U.S. It does have a lifetime warrantee. There is also a 15 foot version. The 6 inch version is part #003-011-059613. Fifteen footer is part #003-001-059693. I use the 6 inch version with my Vent and it does exactly what it claims to do. I use an Ashby remote speed switch for the Vent.

I think once you get your hands on the SK2 you'll like it. I do find that the Vent does really good things for it,but it still sounds really good without.

First off, thanks for the well wishes.

The adapter...This lets the drawbar voices go to the Vent. So the the extra voices get separated out to the main out?

Sounds like what I need. I always use a footswitch for speed control with the Vent anyway. I rewired my Motion Sound footswitch to work with the Vent.

I might have to rethink the Vent a little. I like having it on top so I can adjust the placement and overdrive depending on the song. Not sure there will be enough room for it.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

The SK-2 has tempted me since I played it at NAMM. I did not spend a ton of time with it, but I found it quite intriguing to have quick access to organ on one manual with decent piano sounds on the other manual. It is a very compact instrument and very playable. I'm still a bit reliant on my NS2 capability of clonewheel/piano/synth/samples, but I've really been thinking about figuring out how to get an SK-2. It is very cool.

• 4 weeks later...

Pulled the trigger today.

Sweetwater is getting a new shipment in the next couple days, so it will be here in time for Christmas, which is what my wife wanted. It will go under the tree with a bow on it waiting for Christmas morning.

I'm getting the Hammond Gig Bag, too.

I've already gotten the 8-pin to 1/4" cable, made by Hammond. And I have an idea where to set the Vent, and one of the guys @ Sweetwater made the suggestion. I'll get a small music stand that attaches to my mike stand, and put the Vent there to my left hand.

Whether I get the Hammond pedal depends on how well it works with my Yamaha pedal.

Willie Dixon

Congrats---I have the SK1-73, LOVE it for B3. Pianos not bad.

I have resisted getting a vent. I've never heard it in real life, and I'm so happy with the onboard sim, so I remain vent-less. If I really wanna step it up, I'll bring my pro-3 and bass amp out and push some air around. But thus far, too lazy.

I sat in a few weeks ago on an SK2, no vent, running thru a Fender Vibrolux. That was monsterous.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

I haven't ordered the music stand yet. I'm going to check out the on-board first. I've heard it's good, but I may need more control over the distortion.

For years I played through a 147 Leslie with the foot preamp and the power amp on 10. I love that power tone.

I've taken my Vent out of the signal chain on the XK-3C at church, and the on board sim is doing a nice job.

Willie Dixon

There is a control for overdrive amount on the control panel and you can also set the expression pedal to control the overdrive amount along with the expression - from none at low volume to wherever the pot is set at high volume. The same as the XK-3c.

Understood. I just like to have even more sometimes. I'll have to see how it sounds. I needed to add to the overdrive on the XK-3C

Willie Dixon

For me,the SK's rotary sounded very good and the overdrive fairly good. When I did an A/B direct comparison with and without the Vent I became sold on using the Vent. The best description I can come up with is that both the spin and the overdrive are creamier. I found the Vent has a more true to overdriven Leslie sound and the rotary effect is more dramatic. The SK without the Vent is still hot stuff but with it it's even hotter IMO. In my case the overdrive was the dealbreaker. If you're a big overdrive guy my guess is you'll prefer the Vent. Ymmv. Congrats on getting a great Christmas present.

I put some Velcro on my FA08, on the left end panel, and stick the vent there. I also have a set of longer cables and put it on top of my rack where it's a little easier to see.

RE: the AP sounds- I found that using the velocity offset helps tame down some of the shrillness that it can have. Play with it and find the spot that works for you.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Enjoy it.

SK2 is brilliant........gigged it for two years now.

Total all rounder and sounds every bit as good as my XK3c

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/Keyboard%20Rig/_MG_13112_zps72d7e617.jpg[/url][/img]

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Sounds as good? Yes... Feels as good? No

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Sounds as good? Yes... Feels as good? No

True - the action on the XK3 is much better........but the SK2 is much more versatile :cool:

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Considering that I gigged for years with an XB-2 that had synth keys, and not waterfall keys, I think the action will not matter to me all that much.

Last I heard Sweetwater was supposed to get the latest shipment today, and I bought the last one left from this shipment.

As far as a mount for the Vent, I found a music stand by Raxxess. Clamps onto a mike stand, and is 7.25X5. Should be perfect

Willie Dixon

Archived