Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played again tonight

Ross Brown

Haven't been playing much... by design... I needed a break.

Picked up bass tonight... first time in a few weeks. played along with Jeff Healy... hoochie coochie man.... then Grace Potter ... Nothing but the Water II.... nailed them both.... felt an incredible groove.... My last band played both songs... I sang HCM and my wife blew the Grace Potter song out of the water (no pun intended)... First time I felt good playing bass in a while.

I moved to Philadelphia area for a new job and have been really busy... looking forward to finding a new band and playing again.... not as far off as I thought it might be...

Just wanted to share...

What is the longest break that you have taken from playing bass? Mine is about 6 months...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I took a year off when my mom broke her wrist and then was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. You lose a lot in that period of time when you've only been playing a few years, like I have. But it all eventually came back, and then some.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

When I lost my voice to cancer I was hit pretty hard, I always sang and couldn't bear it. I stopped playing with others for four or five years, during which I also had difficulties with hand/nerve issues that jeopardized my ability to play. I slowly started, to be sure I could hold up my end as a band member, and haven't stopped since.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

When I lost my voice to cancer I was hit pretty hard, I always sang and couldn't bear it. I stopped playing with others for four or five years, during which I also had difficulties with hand/nerve issues that jeopardized my ability to play. I slowly started, to be sure I could hold up my end as a band member, and haven't stopped since.

Wow, that must have been a really tough time. Good on ya for pushing through it all!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

I moved to Philadelphia area for a new job

Where in the Philly area? I'm on the Main Line.

Haven't taken a break from picking up my bass (almost) daily longer than a week or two when a vacation would take me out of town.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Good for you Ross!

A couple of times I've taken as much as a year off mostly due to outside circumstances.

Currently, due to the declining health of the BL, my band has been off for roughly 11 months now. I can probably say the band is kaput.

I'm really itching to get back into another band right now.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I moved to Philadelphia area

That should make finding quality bandmates easier than it was in the past for you.

What is the longest break that you have taken from playing bass?

I sold all my gear in order to buy my girl a birthday present once when times were hard(er). I probably went a few years without.

2014 is shaping up to be the 2nd busiest year for me in terms of gigging. Things can definitely change.

Haven't taken a break from picking up my bass (almost) daily longer than a week or two when a vacation would take me out of town.

King of Prussia

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

What is the longest break that you have taken from playing bass? Mine is about 6 months...

I took at least a 6 month break from playing after my daughter was born. My playing stopped for a good 2 months around her birth. I picked the instrument back up to do a little recording with S&S. But following those sessions I put the bass down for a good portion of 2013. How long? I honestly don't know for sure, but it was several months. And even after that I haven't been playing nearly as much. In the past 6 months I've been working some of the rust off, and it might be time for me to get things moving again.

I think that taking a break can be a very good thing. I've taken breaks before for several reasons. Work. Bad experiences in bands. And now family. When I've come away from those breaks I've felt more refreshed and ready to get back into things. Just experiencing life can give you some fresh perspective on playing, and it can serve to reinvigorate you.

King of Prussia

Seriously? I was just there on Sunday for the Great American Guitar Show!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I am liking the KOP area so far.... still finding my way around and super busy at work but there will be time for bass playing (band) at some point in the near future. I still commute back to York on the weekends until we sell our house.... strange life right now but it will all be better soon....

About ten weeks when I ripped my bicep tendon at the elbow and had to have it reattached. I was performing at Tony & Tina's Wedding in San Francisco. My sub liked getting that work while I was out.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I've only really played bass three times since March of this year. This doesn't include the occasional 10 minute noodling. I've been playing guitar in this band, but was prepared to sub for our missing bass player at a gig (we ended up finding a different sub). However, he is officially quitting after our next gig (mid December), so I might be switching. Lots of turmoil in the band right now, so there might not be something into which to switch. We'll see what 2015 brings.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

King of Prussia

I could spit and hit King of Prussia, if I got in my car and drove 20 minutes.

I've got a gig next Saturday in Bryn Mawr, Flip & Bailey's, 900 Conestoga Road. Stop on by and introduce yourself.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Archived