Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wow, Keith Urban came up with that?

Caevan O’Shite

Keith Urban has become the latest in the line of late night TV infomercial guitar & lessons hawkers.

I want to like the guy, but his actually saying "we came up with" things like "putting the strings closer to the neck to make it easier to play" and "a special coating on the strings" is certainly stretching the truth a bit, and then some. Gosh, if only others had thought of those things before... ?! And these are "hand made guitars" that "take three months to build"... :rolleyes:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh no-in fact he`s a pretty good player, one of the few I had respect for despite an overt commercial direction. This sure is a torpedo at that boat.

Next thing you know, he's gonna invent some electronic doo-dad that attaches to the guitar under the strings that makes it capable of plugging said acoustic "git-fiddle" into an AMPLIFIER!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Keith Urban has become the latest in the line of late night TV infomercial guitar & lessons hawkers.

I want to like the guy, but his actually saying "we came up with" things like "putting the strings closer to the neck to make it easier to play" and "a special coating on the strings" is certainly stretching the truth a bit, and then some. Gosh, if only others had thought of those things before... ?! And these are "hand made guitars" that "take three months to build"... :rolleyes:

I was too embarrassed to tell you guys but I ordered one of those guitars from the HSN infomercial...It cost about $300 and came with a guitar, case, amp, DVD lessons, etc. My buddy and my wife had dared me to order one and I thought [oh what the hell] and did so as it looked like you couldn't go wrong. It was the worst mistake I've ever made... :facepalm:

The guitar is made in China and when you open the box you can almost get knocked over from the smell of lead paint. It looks like the guitar was spray painted and they missed a few spots LOL! I tuned her up anyway and it was by far the worst action you could ask for. I don't know how it sounded electronically

as I only had a very short time to get it to the post office before it closed. I never even opened or tried the little practice amp...

Keith is a very talented musician and I couldn't believe he would actually play the guitar in the commercial and tell you how great it was...I like some of his music but he has no ethics in my book as far as his signature guitar goes...that's my story and I'm sticking to it. STAY AWAY FROM HIS GUITAR! :mad::hitt::facepalm:

Take care, Larryz

'Fang, love that crazy idea! Maybe a microphone or sumpum like dat...what's next, flying cars, telephones without wires, it's mad I tell you, MAD!

Hey! HERE'S a crazy idea....

What if, instead of transmitting TV signals over the airwaves where overhead airplanes and weather can mess up the reception, they use some kind of WIRE to run to everyone's house, like they do the TELEPHONE wires, that carries TV programs? OR, WAIT! WAIT!!

Some device like a TAPE RECORDER, but it tapes TV shows INSTEAD??? WOW! It'd be like living in The Twilight Zone!

Whitefang

He plays one in his shows. Go to 13:12. :laugh:

[video:youtube]

Just to clarify, the guitar he was hawking on HSN was an acoustic-electric, I have no idea what the LP electric is like...it doesn't justify what he did with the acoustic models though and I would not take a chance on it...but then, I'm not not as good as Keith Urban... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I guess h hawks two guitars on HSN, the acoustic and the solidbody that was in the video that he gives away every night.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'm not against anyone trying to broaden their business opportunities, but agree the HSN shtick is painful, and clearly overselling these cheap axes.

However, here is a good news Urban story from a couple of years back:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/music/urban-plays-santa/2009/12/22/1261243859264.html

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

I'm not against anyone trying to broaden their business opportunities, but agree the HSN shtick is painful, and clearly overselling these cheap axes.

However, here is a good news Urban story from a couple of years back:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/music/urban-plays-santa/2009/12/22/1261243859264.html

THAT IS very cool and the act of a true stand-up guy.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'd forgotten about this, until I saw this thread. I don't really pay any attention to Country Music, and even less to HSN. A buddy told me about these guitars, a few months back, and he'd ordered one of the LP-style solidbody guitars. It's about on a par with any affordable Epiphone, Schecter, or LTD model guitar. Nowhere near as bad as the acoustic. I wouldn't buy one, personally, but I couldn't find anything glaringly wrong with it. For the price, (around $250, IIRC?) you could find something with a familiar name on it, but it might still come from the same Chinese factory, if not the one down the block.

I'd like to think maybe there's some kind of closed-door deal where the money from these things is going to some charity, or music education, or something else worthwhile. I still can't see why he'd want his name associated with that Acoustic, though.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Haven't seen the ad OR the acoustic in question, so I can't comment on that. But, I WOULD say, based on how cheezy the JEWELERY looks once you GET it, compared to how it LOOKS on the TV, I'd guess the guitar would be a dubious prospect. My wife quit ordering anything from those networks and shows YEARS ago.

Whitefang

The shame of it is, he could have had a decent Chinese-made Acoustic guitar, if anyone had bothered to invest in the product. Maybe the next model will have some other innovation, like "All-wood Construction!" or "Leveled Fretwork!"

One thing to bear in mind, if you ever have the misfortune to order a piece of junk, and run into trouble returning it. Since nearly all of these transactions are credit card transactions, check to see what sort of buyer protection your bank or credit card offers. This is one case where the credit company may be on your side.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

They do make some decent acoustics in China. Urban's is not one of them. I think that seeing him on the infomercial endorsing the guitar and the comments he was making caused me to let my guard down. I would not put my name on that guitar and no one even knows me LOL! I will say that HSN was extremely great at paying for the return and crediting my credit card. It took a month to credit the card but it was done accurately...that's the only part of the transaction I was pleased with! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I finally had a chance to see the guitars dicussed here. I surfed into the HSN salespitch for them yesterday. I have to say, over the TV the TONE seemed OK, but it sort of looked plastic to me...didn't LOOK anywhere near worth the $900-$1100 retail price they were CLAIMING they originally cost.

HE was playing one, while some pretty model just sat there HOLDING one and gushed over how good Urban played. But they never, in the 10 minutes I watched,discussed the electrics. And I STILL don't know what all 22 peices consists of...

Whitefang

Archived