Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is your favorite delay effect (or stand alone multi fx)

eric

Hi forum friends,

I need to procure a delay effect for my Yamaha CP-70B. I'm currently running it through a Yamaha SPX-90, which has only 250ms of delay and I've decided that its chorus effect is what I'll use for that unit. So I'm on the prowl for a delay effect. I've seen some vintage analog and modern options, but curious what you'd recommend for me. My brother told me that our local GC has a Boss DD-3 pedal used for $60, which might be the ticket. There's also a Yamaha E1010 analog rack delay on local Craigslist...hmmm.

I am trying to spend $250 or much less. I'd be happy to have some other effects available, but delay is my priority. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am trying to spend $250 or much less. I'd be happy to have some other effects available, but delay is my priority. Do you have any suggestions?Thanks!

TC M350

Lexicon MX200

Lexicon MX300

There are cheaper B-Stock models too and I believe you can find that in the US too.

Even the Lexicon MX400 TRS connector (not XLR) unit is available for relatively cheap.

The SPX90 is noisy,- I had 2, one of these upgraded to SPX90II to get longer delay times.

The hip-hoppers love SPX90,- sell it for good money and buy another unit which does it all.

A.C.

The absolute best delay pedal for keys is the Korg SDD 3000. Unfortunately, it's $400.

The TC Electronic flashback x 4 is in your price range (just), and is definitely worth a look.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I have a stomp box pedal for my phatty, a boss dd6. I picked it up used for $100. It does some nice long delays, 5 seconds max I think.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Eric, are you looking for something that has the ability to sync delay times?

If so, I'd recommend the new Pigtronix Echolution 2 pedal----a great blend of digital and analog. $299 for the regular

If you just want dark analog color-the new Minifooger Delay is awesome and has true bypass

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

For less than $250.

Lexicon MX200.

For $300 the MX400 gives you dual stereo processors.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I still love how the Line 6 DL4 sounds on keyboards, as outdated as it might be. From online demos I've heard, I would also recommend a look at the TC Flashback x 4 or the Eventide Time Factor.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

If you just want dark analog color-the new Minifooger Delay is awesome and has true bypass

+1 on this. I use mine with my Voyager, don't know how it would sound on a piano. I didn't like it as much on my Clavinet as the Memory Man Deluxe I'm using, which is really great but out of the OP's price range.

:nopity:

I still love how the Line 6 DL4 sounds on keyboards, as outdated as it might be.

I like the Line 6 stompboxes. I had the modulation one. Nice emulations, lots of bang for the buck. They also are true stereo in/out so you're not forced to deal with ending the stereo chain at the box as you are with many other pedals. While it's been around for a while, I don't know that delay technology has really advanced much.

Busch.

Hi forum friends,

I need to procure a delay effect for my Yamaha CP-70B.

(edit)

I am trying to spend $250 or much less. I'd be happy to have some other effects available, but delay is my priority. Do you have any suggestions?

For under $250 I like my Way Huge Echo Puss. I got it on sale at JRR Shop for about $110.

Carbon Copy is nice, but I would only go that route if you want to make extensive use of delay feedback. She's a fickle beast. I use it on my Rhodes and it is FUN.

I run my Mopho through an Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport, which is much cleaner and precise, but can still get pretty wacky.

Honestly, all the pedals cited here probably sound great. I've heard people do amazing things with at least half of these in the past week. So have fun trying them all out! :thu:

Pigtronix Echolution is excellent, and full bandwidth, with a beautiful 3-D sort of delay when in stereo. Just incredible. I use this for guitar, keyboards, and as an effects unit for auxiliary sends. Don't let the silly name fool you. This is one of the best analog delay units I've ever heard, if not the best, and it has tap tempo, backwards reverb, and a bunch of other stuff.

Other stuff includes Eventide and anything made by Strymon.

For cheaper but flexible stuff, the Line 6 stuff is surprisingly good considering that it's modeled, although not quite as magical as the Echolution, Eventide, or Strymon stuff, in my opinion.

+1 on this. I use mine with my Voyager, don't know how it would sound on a piano.

another +1 for the Minifooger. I have it and use it a lot on rhodes and sometimes piano, great sound! Great build and it has a handy boost knob.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Thanks for all these ideas! I will make a list and sort by price/features, then decide which one to try! Someone said the SPX90 is noisy - very true! I have one on hand from way back in the late '80s or early '90s. I remember when it was pretty much state of the art for effect units in that bracket, but it is very archaic by today's standards.

I'm also toying with the idea of adding some kind of guitar amp to this CP-70B rig. I need a little bit of sizzle and can't decide if I should go with modeling or the real thing.

Thanks again for all the super cool ideas!

I'm also toying with the idea of adding some kind of guitar amp to this CP-70B rig. I need a little bit of sizzle and can't decide if I should go with modeling or the real thing.

Forget guitar amps, too much distortion.

Try a tube bass amp. They're designed to produce a cleaner signal and better headroom, and the tubes don't distort as soon as guitar amps. You'll still get a little overdrive, which adds some color to the sound in a much more pleasant way.

Forget guitar amps, too much distortion.

Try a tube bass amp. They're designed to produce a cleaner signal and better headroom, and the tubes don't distort as soon as guitar amps. You'll still get a little overdrive, which adds some color to the sound in a much more pleasant way.

This may seem like a travesty to some, but I'm actually on the prowl for a Roland JC-120 or JC-77. I had two summers in high school when I borrowed a Fender Rhodes from my HS and a friend's JC-120 (he had two). There was something magical about the sound of the JC-120 and I'm a little bit interested to try this with the CP-70B.

I played my Nord E4 through a friends JC120 the other night. EPs sounded great, but AP and organ not so much - which reminded me why I had sold my 120A. Played Rhodes through it all through the 80's.

Back on topic - how are y'all implementing delay in your performances. On what instruments? Describe constant settings and those you might kick in 'just for effect'.

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

Another vote for the Lexicon MX200/MX400. These are great units. I use the tape delay program in it for Fastball's "The Way".

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

The MX400 has gotten cheaper, around 250 euros, which appears to be about $300. It is a marvelous machine, but doesn't at all respond like a guitar effect. It's input impedance should be fine for the CP, the level I'm not sure of, but there is an input gain control, and the output can be set from -10 to +4dB, and the noise is very low. Frequency range is full (as opposed to the SPX) and the converters are very good 44.1/48kHz 24 bit.

It's possible to dial in great short reverbs and chorussing effects, but it is not necessarily easy, because it makes studio processing assumptions, not effect pedal ones!

I agree that it might be desirable to have am electronic direct signal, as opposed to using the digital bypass: that not only prevents a little standard delay (about 3 Milli seconds) but preventing that sampling has an audible effect on the (dry component) electro-mechanical signal isn't easy.

T.

Archived