Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vent II pedal question

Daddyg3042

I commented a few times in Hammonddave's thread, but thought I'd start a new one on this specifically.

I couldn't find any definitive answers online, so contacted the vendor's tech support services. They responded saying they needed to get in touch with Neo. That was 5 days ago. Here's what I asked TS:

"I hooked up my Kurzweil sustain pedal, dialed the secondary remote knob to 7:00, and fired it up. Both this pedal and a Hosa FSC-502 momentary open pedal work with the unit, but not quite how I need. They both will toggle from stop to speed, either fast or slow, based on toggling the slow/fast switch on the Vent. Neither pedal will toggle from slow/fast though,as well as enabling stop from a remote switch. Neither pedal works at all in any of the other remote knob positions.

Under the REMOTE section of the directions, it says:

Stop/Slow/Fast Control by external unlatched switches (Ventilator remote II)

Ring to Sleeve=Slow/Fast

Tip to Sleeve=stop

Im a few cards short of a full deck when it comes to electronics, but Im guessing both my pedals are wired tip to sleeve, and Im toggling from stop to whatever speed is selected on the unit, correct? Question is, does only the Ventilator remote II box (with two switches) provide remote control for Stop/Slow/Fast? Can a singular pedal toggle consecutively through Stop/Slow/Fast? Im guessing not, given the configuration above, but if that is possible, what pedal does this?"

I thought this would be a fairly straightforward question for someone with electronics knowledge, and especially a TS department at a major MI reseller, but given the time it's taken, maybe not. I could simply get a Yamaha sustain pedal, like Hammonddave suggested, but I have 4 pedals already, two of which need repair, and can be rewired correctly for the Vent, if I can get the info required. I've been making due, but would like to resolve this already.

If anyone can shed some light on this....it'd be much appreciated.

"May you stay...forever young."

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Question is, does only the Ventilator remote II box (with two switches) provide remote control for Stop/Slow/Fast?

Mostly yes. Ashby Solutions KLONK also sells a pedal that will work

Can a singular pedal toggle consecutively through Stop/Slow/Fast? Im guessing not

You are so correct :thu:

If anyone can shed some light on this....it'd be much appreciated.

No prob :cool:

:nopity:

Daddyg,

I use the Ashby 122 pedal with my Neo II, you have to set the unit to mode 1 and the remote to"9:00", not 7:00. You also have to use a TRS cable, not TS. This will control the "fast and slow" speed with the right toggle and the "stop" with the left. There was a revision on the Vent II that changed the settings to 9 not 7.

Good luck! Steve

You will indeed need a dual footswitch, if you want to switch between 3 states ( Fast/Slow/Stop):

http://hosatech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/FSC-385_RGB_856-200x125.jpg

Way back when I ordered something similar to rewire, and it had the right switches. The specs don't say if this contains single-throw or double-throw, but I suspect it will be the latter. This footswitch is less than $17 on Amazon.

The best you'll achieve with a sustain-type footswitch is to toggle between 2 of the three states. You're already getting stop and run. If you want to toggle between Fast and Slow, it will require wiring in a TRS cable, as someone already pointed out on the other thread. It's worth pointing out that most sustain pedals are momentary ( aka non-latching ) switches. So, with a rewire, you'll get fast only while your foot is down. Alotta folks feel the momentary switch meshes well with the way they use fast.

Jon,

The pedal you are showing is a Hosa and it is the same as the Ashby 122 lacking the Ashby logo. I use the same pedal with a TRS cable and the Vent II remote set to 9:00 not 7:00 as originally designated by Ashby because Vent changed their config. Works great! Right button, F/S, left button brake.

Thanks much for the responses. I figured I was on to something with that logic. It's pretty intuitive, but I've gotten myself into trouble with that kind of thinking before. ;)

I've used a MS Pro3 for many years, so have a dual switch pedal. It actually works with the Vent, but you have to press the switch twice for it to toggle. It's going to be sold with the MS, so I'm going to need to get another one anyway. The Hosa is right in my price range...thanks for the link.

Guess I can tell tech support to fuggedaboutit.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up the HOSA pedal in lieu of either the Ashby or Vent Remote due to price, but I don't think the HOSA is identical to the Ashby pedal. After testing...here's what I found:

(Clock settings below describe the dial position of the knobs, with the Vent facing me, switches towards me. I'm using a TRS cable):

7:00:

Switch 1-(Stop to Slow)-must switch twice

Switch 2 ((Slow to Fast)- must switch twice

(This is my preferred configurationexcept for needing to switch twice)

9:00 or 10:00:

Switch 1-(Stop to Slow)

Switch 2 (Stop to Fast)

As you alternate switches, you must be in stop mode for the other switch to work.

No other setting in remote mode works (as would be suspected with this type of pedal)

I prefer 7:00 setting above (insofar as it's operation) but can't get that without a double press. So...I wrote Guido, and here's what he responded with:

"this switch unfortunately is not compatible with the Ventilator. Latching switches require an alternating switch for Slow/Fast and a special wiring."

Well....it's "works", just not how I'd prefer it. Going to return this and just get an Ashby or Vent remote, but wondering why it requires 2 presses of the switch to actually switch fast/slow or slow/stop? Is it because the HOSA pedal has a latching but not "alternating" switch? I'm not suspecting that it's the wiring that's the problem.

In any event, this HOSA switch will not work out of box.

As I understand it,Bruce at Ashby Solutions rewires the Hosa footswitch to make it work with the Vent and I can attest to the fact that the Ashby switch works flawlessly right out of the box. That is why I decided to spend the $34.00 or so for the Ashby prepped pedal. That's also why I recommended doing so in another thread. Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Archived