Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Technique question

J. Dan

I've not had formal lessons on bass, just other instruments.

I don't do a lot of slap, but when I do, the volume is way above the rest of my playing - and I dig in pretty good. In fact I think many accomplished bass players okay with a lighter touch than me, so does that mean I'm overly aggressive with the slapping? In particular, it just seems it's not possible to pluck below a certain level - but it's off the charts compared to my regular playing.

Is it technique, need for compression, the bass, some combination? I hear some jazz players mix up technique and it all flows evenly and smoothly.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slap is one of the main reasons why compression is more important than in the "good ol' days".

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I said slap, but the popping part is what really jumps out.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm not a slap monster; just enough to get by. But what J.C. said: lighten up, for the slap and the pop. I had success with practicing unplugged. It gave me much better feedback on weather I was choking it or not.

Watch Victor. If you're more than 6 rows back, it looks like he's not even moving his right hand at all.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Like Paul I'm no slap monster either but through my attempts at learning the technique I've discovered a couple of things. First Jeremy is correct that you need to lighten up on your touch. It doesn't take much and the added benefit it that you'll get better speed and control of the technique. Make sure you aren't accidentally resting your thumb on the string causing it to mute the note unless of course a muted note is what you want. Generally you need to just quickly bounce off the string. For popping if you dig in too deep you get that big SNAP but it will also slow you down and those machine gun triplets that guys like Marcus do become difficult to do.

Second is EQ'ing. When I attempted slapping in my band my EQ was set for the typical low muddy classic rock tone and when I slapped it seemed to get lost in the mix. That then caused me to slap and pop harder which then mucked up the technique.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I never use compression, live or in the studio. My small catalog of recorded music stands for itself. (I think it's standing the corner right now).

I don't either, but slap/pop is a "special" circumstance. There are certain sounds you get from slapping "hard" vs. slapping "soft". You need compression to deal with that to keep your levels where you want them in a live situation. If I need to slap, it's usually myself for especially poor playing so I personally don't need compression.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Archived