Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You Make My Dreams keys

JCRoswell

This weekend we are playing "You Make My Dreams" by Hall and Oates for a wedding reception. It's great for me because I'm a lifelong fan and I don't ever get to play their stuff for gigs.

Of course, that means I've got a song I love so I'll be in full "must recreate the sound exactly" mode. The problem is I'm not sure how to get it. The best I've found on the web is that it's a Wurly. But it's not the typical Ray Charles or Supertramp sound. Any suggestions on how to get it dialed in close to the record?

Live rig: Roland FA-08, Yamaha MOTIF ES 6, laptop for supplemental sounds.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You Make My Dreams...." is a long time favorite of mine (as is basically the entire Hall & Oates catalog). Almost worked it up back in 2007 with a country band, but that's a story for another thread.

As it was time for a refresher, I listened to the track a couple of times tonight. That's one nicely effected EP, but it's a Yamaha CP30 - at least according to this 2008 article by Mitchell Sigman in Keyboard: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/kb_200809/index.php?startid=52.

Turns out Mitchell and I both thought along the same lines initially, "Clavinet". After all, the part has a highly infectious, clav bounce to it. The keyboard programming he outlines looks to be on the money, judging from the sound design parameters. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Might be worth pointing out that Mitchell actually has his book, y'know, for sale. :snax:

Thanks, Ambassador Golly :D. Amazon loves me, again....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Now you guys aren't telling me that the Internet lied to me about the Wurly, are you? The Internet doesn't do that. :whistle:

Awesome. Thanks for the help everyone. I thought I had a decent programming ear, but I couldn't figure out how to get from Wurly to this sound. For a very good reason it turns out. Now it makes way more sense.

It also looks like I've got another book to add to my Amazon wish list.

Live rig: Roland FA-08, Yamaha MOTIF ES 6, laptop for supplemental sounds.

Turns out Mitchell and I both thought along the same lines initially, "Clavinet".

Yeah, when I did it, I went with clav too. Sounds kinda like a clav though a fuzz.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I had a CP30 for a number of years. Strange but almost loveable beast.

I played one for a year or so that belonged to a band I sub'd in quite a bit. I remember it sounding a lot better than the one in that vid.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I had a CP30 many years ago that I gigged.

One night out in the Hamptons (Long Island) I had one channel of the CP30 with the tabs into a straight amp (Peavey with a 15" and horn) and for whatever crazy reason I ran the other half through my Leslie 145 w/preamp for the night on the other side of the stage and set the Pan wide and strong. The pan was 'Huge' and created this enormous alternating wave in the room. I kept the Leslie on Chorale.

It was 'sick' and very intense and very cool/unusual in it's own odd way. So intense that a Deadhead in full beard and regalia got very very excited and seemed like he couldn't help himself and jumped up on stage to stand next to me while I played in a very weird way like Charlie Manson at a Love-In. It was one of the strangest stage experiences I every had. I had to tell the guy 'Sorry man but you can't stay up here'! Anyway after a lifetime of gigging you accumulate some good stories!

LB

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

First keyboard I ever owned was a CP-30, thrilled to see it talked about and demo'd in that video, very nostalgic rush for me! No idea and never would have imagined that it was played on the song or any other really! I covered You Make My Dreams in a band for a few years and like others here, always thought it was basically a clav sound, that's what I used, has that feel as you play it with bouncing back and forth percussively between octaves.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I play that song and use a combi on the Kronos. I use a clav through an amp sim, and as you go up the keyboard, cross fade into a wurli with some chorus. That break with he EP before "Ah you" is all EP, LH is all wurli, there's some blending in the middle. It seems to work. If you listen real close, there are actually 2 keys parts through most of the song, but this works for me.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I play that song and use a combi on the Kronos. I use a clav through an amp sim, and as you go up the keyboard, cross fade into a wurli with some chorus. That break with he EP before "Ah you" is all EP, LH is all wurli, there's some blending in the middle. It seems to work. If you listen real close, there are actually 2 keys parts through most of the song, but this works for me.

Which Combi?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Which Combi?

One I made

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I once bought a CP30. It sounded so lousy, I traded it for a Hawkin rifle and some salt pork. The pork had a better tone. Nothing personal. Its simply the worst instrument I've ever played, with the added inexplicable plus of weighing as much as a mid-range Volkswagen. Every keyboardist has their Grendel; this one was just mine. :D

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

My first ep was a CP30. I used a Boss eq pedal to adjust the sound to my liking. Christine McVie uses one on atop her B3 the Mirage Tour 1982 video on Youtube. You have to listen close to hear it.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

I once bought a CP30. It sounded so lousy, I traded it for a Hawkin rifle and some salt pork. The pork had a better tone. Nothing personal. Its simply the worst instrument I've ever played, with the added inexplicable plus of weighing as much as a mid-range Volkswagen. Every keyboardist has their Grendel; this one was just mine. :D
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you never played an RMI Electrapiano. :)

In the December issue of Keyboard, Dr. John talks about playing the RMI Electra-Piano on "Motherless Child" and on In the Right Place album as well as Desitively Bonaroo album.

It made me think of Tom. :love:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The original Hall and Oats video shows the CP30 at the beginning. Daryl uses a Motif to recreate the sound now.

It's OATES, with an E.

http://media.utdailybeacon.com/photos/2010/11/07/john-oats.360-325.jpg

Archived