Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Clavinet solos

I was playing one of my Cannonball albums and I realized that this song has one of the great Clavinet solos by George Duke himself. I'm hoping y'all can add more clav solos/any style. I'm not sure I could think of any others. George made the most of different sounds on one solo - pretty cool. George's solo starts at 3 minutes in.

[video:youtube]

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Rock Me Gently" has a really sweet Clav break midway through.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

Yeah, I was going to mention the stuck key, but I liked how he didn't let it get the best of him. He gave it a whack and kept on playing. The pants thing, well given that I've had to do the same thing from time to time, I felt it best to not point that out. :)

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Smokin' by Boston? I like it because it doesn't sound like a clav. :D.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

[George Duke video]

Clav starts at 4:15 but why miss the beginning?

LOVE the 80s! Love how the synths, the bass, the drums, the vocals, the mixing sound. The showmanship too. Also my urge to use pitch bend on clav patches is finally justified. (didn't now about the mod so far)

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

This one always stuck in my head w/ Max Middleton's clav opening. Oh, and some other guy's playing synth later on too...

This is really a good choice, as I often use this very phrase when I am testing clav patches on prospective new keyboards. Max Middleton was a very underrated keyboard player, and really had some decent clav funk chops on his Jeff Beck album appearences

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

In Apple parlance, you're playing it wrong.

[video:youtube]

Busch.

I love that the artwork says "rock and roll" (for the era it was produced), but the performance is completely classical. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

DanL's link is to Billy Preston's "Outta Space" which is one of the most definitive clav solos ever. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Timely post - just got me a pigtronix echo plex delay for my claivinet and I am seriously stoked! Clavinets (real ones) are seriously underrated IMO - might leave my Nord at home next show - just the Clav, pig delay and a numa organ.

I'd nominate this for the best clavinet intro of all time, if not necessarily the best solo.

[video:youtube]GBlWkNZph0s

And, if promoting something by Omartian comes too close to promoting religion, remember that he also produced (and played on) Piano Man.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

LOL... I had to go search for him.... his name is really David Briggs. Elvis must have been... "preoccupied".

:-)

Jerry

He was introduced to me as David "Bobby" Briggs so I just assumed that was his nickname. But it's much funnier to picture The King foisting an unwanted nickname on someone out of forgetfulness and then having it stick.

(Briggs played with him for years and that clip was on the late end of their time together.)

Archived