Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

head worn vocal mic?

can anyone recommend a small dynamic or hypercardiod mike that can be mounted on a headset with decent sound and feedback rejection? Its for an instrumentalist who who also sings but doesn't stay in one place long enough to use a normal mic - its mostly for live use

even a radio mic might be of intetest...

reletively inexpensive is good!

Richard

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen a few - not my favorite mics to use, but they can work. AKG makes one that's not too bad, although I don't like the headset itself.

My first bit of advice, however, is - DON'T think cheap. Headset mics are very small condensers, and you really get what you pay for with those. Better to plan on spending as much as you can to expect the best results.

I'm with Christopher on this one, if you buy cheap you get cheap. How much feedback rejection do you need? The king of rejection is probably the Crown CM-311A. It can come wired with an XLR or unterminated so you can wire with the connector of choice for wireless applications.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Of all the ones I've used (which is probably most of them) the only ones that were worth a damn were the crowns.

If they're going to move around, wireless is the way to go. It's not going to be cheap. get a high quality multichannel UHF system, such as shure or Sennheiser.

If this person is a drummer or percussionist, forget it. even with a great mic, the constant bleed of the drums shifting makes getting any clarity fo them ( the drums) practically impossible.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Originally posted by where02190:

Of all the ones I've used (which is probably most of them) the only ones that were worth a damn were the crowns.

I'd have to agree with that. I've tried the Shure, AKG, AT and Crown, and I'd have to say that the Crown is the best in terms of functionality.

Coming from me, that is definitely an endorsement, as I did not support the company philosophy (before they were bought out).

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by Dwarf:

I'm with Christopher on this one, if you buy cheap you get cheap. How much feedback rejection do you need? The king of rejection is probably the Crown CM-311A. It can come wired with an XLR or unterminated so you can wire with the connector of choice for wireless applications.

--

Rob

First, the Crown can is amazing. See Garth Brooks, etc. If you have a Shure wireless that utilizes the mini-XLR, you might ask if they have it pre-wired. It's not on the website, but they used to sell them pre-wired for Shure wireless beltpacks.

http://www.capitalcommunications.net/Microphones/cm311.jpg

Second, Shure has a high end headset that uses the same element and performs just as well. I believe it's the WH30.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I have the AKG C410, I've been told that I don't need overheads while it's on. It's a bit of a bitch tho' because I turn it on and off as needed.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

I don't know what you're wanting to spend, but presume you want a high end sound.

I use a DPA headset that sounds like it's a large diaphram condinser mic, yet it's so small you can't hardly see it.

It will work great for Studio Vocals.

Check it out:

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/eng_pub/

Good Luck,

Russ

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-russragsdale

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Yeah, same deal here. Our drummer leaves his on all the time though - especially when he belches. :D

I don't need no steenkin' mic when I belch, I just wait for that quiet part of the song... :)

--

Rob

Originally posted by where02190:

that "mini-XLR" is called a Lemo connector.

Why, yes it is! But Shure (at least 4 years ago, when I last sold pro audio gear) called them "mini-xlr" connectors in the dealer cut sheets. ;)

Never tried the DPA, Russ.. I'm guessing it's pretty pricey, eh?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Thanks for the nfo guys. I really didn't know where to begin on this one...

I'll check out the crowns and AKGs. I'm a big fan of DPA mics - but is this mic an omni or cardiod, can you give me a model number? I'm wondering if is something that could be detached and used an instrument mic in the studio... if so that would definitely justify the cost...

Richard

Hey Richard,

The DPA microphone I use is a model # 4066. I think it's around $600. It's the same mic Bill Clinton used when he said "I've never had sex with that woman." ;)

The mic is omni, but comes with an attachment to change the frequency curve so you can modify it in case your dealing with a person with a siblance problem and such.

They make a variety of mics, there might be a better one to suit your needs for a mic that doubles as a great studio mic. Keep checking there web site (it doesn't seem to be working very well though), you might try a link to a dealer and look at their site.

Have fun,

Russ

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-russragsdale

My experience with both model AKG's mentioned has not been good. far too much bleed, and both elements had a massive high end boost to boot. I recommend staying away from both if it's for a drummer or percussionist. While the beleed is managable if they didn't move, the constant movement creates a constant change in the balance of the bleed.

For a front singer/guitarist, etc, they'd be ok provided they stay away from the drums, but the crown smokes them.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Archived