Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neal Evans' rig

cedar

I saw Soulive on Halloween, and was wondering what about his current setup. (I saw some discussion of his setup in an old thread here, but I don't know if it's current. I think this picture accurately reflects what he was using on this gig.)

Does anyone recognize the keyboards here? I am particularly curious about the one on top, which sounded basically like a clav dirtied up with effects.

http://media.virbcdn.com/cdn_images/resize_1024x1024/b0/4597973eacca70ea-IMG_5589.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no expert but the organ looks to me like a Hammond Portable B3mk2

http://beta.asoundstrategy.com/sitemaster/userUploads/site153/PB-3-1.jpg

UPDATE: looks like it got answered while I was posting :)

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I remember that he used the Roland controller to drive the bass sounds from an old Roland-JV2080 module, I believe.

He's probably updated it since then.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

Hohner Clavinet D6 on top ( with the front cover missing for quick tuning I would imagine )not sure of the stomp box , Looks like a Roland midi controller and a Hammond B3P. Not sure why he would still use the Roland ,he should be able to dial in a decent bass patch using the new Hammond ?? That's a stretch to be able to reach the clav ....

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

FWIW, Neal had pimped the Korg SV-1 early on. Seems like even he's moved on.

Yes, he did a promo for Korg at the launch, but he never added it to his live rig. So he didn't "move on"...

Considering his live rig has never really been about Rhodes, Wurli etc. it's no surprise he didn't use it. Clav and organ are his main "voices", along with that killing LH bass.

He runs (or at least used to run) Trillian as his main sound for the LH bass.

More info/discussion can be found here:

previous discussion

Regards,

Jerry

So what was the point of the pimping? Seems counterintuitive. It'd be like having Yuja Wang do a promo for a Casio XW-P1. Yeah, it's got a piano sound but so what? She's not going to perform on it.

He thought it sounded and felt good. Who says his whole musical world has to live and die by his live rig? You chose to use this thread to snarkily diss the SV-1. Just saying...

So what was the point of the pimping? Seems counterintuitive. It'd be like having Yuja Wang do a promo for a Casio XW-P1. Yeah, it's got a piano sound but so what? She's not going to perform on it.

He thought it sounded and felt good. Who says his whole musical world has to live and die by his live rig? You chose to use this thread to snarkily diss the SV-1. Just saying...

I'm fairly certain every thread Lord Donut responds to is to snarkily diss something...

Archived