Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2015 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on tonight's win then, Eric.

By the way, did anyone else catch the f-bomb tonight as TBS went to break during the post game coverage? Someone could be heard saying, "Boom, motherf%$&ing..." as the logo flashed on the screen just before commercial.

If you missed it, you can read about it here:

TBS host heard dropping f-bomb on broadcast after Mets beat Cubs

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Go figure. First the Cubs eliminate the team with the best regular season record, then they get swept in the NLCS:

Mets headed to World Series after sweeping Cubs with 8-3 win

So much for Back to the Future. Instead, it's back to the drawing board.

Even so, the future still looks bright for the young Cubs. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the postseason again next year.

In the meantime, congrats to the Mets and special congratulations to Daniel Murphy for becoming the first player to homer in six consecutive playoff games:

Daniel Murphy Breaks a Record With Another Postseason Homer

Best,

Geoff

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/AP-source-Don-Mattingly-out-as-LA-Dodgers-manager-6583992.php

Darn, I will miss his coaching.

I heard on our local sports radio that he turned down a contract offer extension.

The billionaires can hire Dusty Baker.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

That ninth inning might haunt Terry Collins for a while...

That seems likely if the Mets lose tonight.

And of course, the Royals have repeatedly demonstrated the endurance to win in overtime; so it's going to take everything the Mets have to win tonight.

Best,

Geoff

Royals probably get broken up this year - their big masher is up for a new contract, and no doubt they get outbid by NY, LA, or Boston...

Interesting. How far do these 4 big payroll teams advance in the playoffs ?

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

According to a quick web search, it looks like the Royals were 16th highest (out of 30) in team payroll, while the Mets were 21st. Not sure if the list I found takes into account any salary impacts from mid-season trades, but if this list is correct, then the World Series was played by two teams in the bottom half of total team payroll for 2015.

I'm a Mets fan, but congrats to the Royals - they are one tough team, who knows how to make things very difficult for their opponents when the stakes are highest. I felt like the Mets were pitching against a lineup filled with Paul O'Neill-like players from top to bottom.

This has probably already been studied by someone, whereas what I'm about to say is just speculation, but I think teams in the middle of the payroll ladder are in the sweet spot. Teams near the bottom, like the A's, have a problem in that they can't even retain homegrown talent. Teams near the top of the payroll are typically there because they're throwing money at free agents in order to boost off season ticket sales and broadcasting contracts, but the results to match up.

I was rooting for the Mets, but have to admire Kansas City. They've structured their team around a game plan of pitching, speed, defense, and putting the ball in play. They've stuck to their plan and it's working. It's an exciting brand of baseball even if it doesn't give fans what everyone assumes they want . . . home runs.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The Royals won by playing classic National League baseball in the American League, then doing it better against the best National League team.

I love it!

Conversely, the Cubs had their season end by playing American League baseball: waiting for the home run that didn't come.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Royals probably get broken up this year - their big masher is up for a new contract, and no doubt they get outbid by NY, LA, or Boston...

Interesting. How far do these 4 big payroll teams advance in the playoffs ?

One of them won the world series a couple years ago. ;)

• 3 months later...

Archived