Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2015 Thread

Geoff Grace

Now that the 2014 MLB season is in the books, let's take a look ahead...

Pablo Sandoval wants to return

Twins offer contract to Paul Molitor

Koji Uehara deal for 2 years, $18M

And a look back...

San Francisco celebrates its Giants

Nature rained on their parade, but I doubt anyone in drought stricken California complained.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...And yet they're still not halfway through the 20,484 day drought between the Giants' last World Series title in New York and their first one in San Francisco. ;)

Of courseas I mentioned in the Official MLB 2014 ThreadI was a Giants fan as a kid who went to their spring training games in Phoenix during the Mays/McCovey years; so I wasn't too happy about that long gap between titles, and I still like the team today.

Just not as much as the Dodgers. ;)

Best,

Geoff

My dad is an old-school NY Giants fan, Polo Grounds and all. He still follows then and always loves to gloat when the SF Giants win a World Series now.

Though, he will also root for the Yankees as his AL team and the Mets as long as they're playing the Giants.

Me, Yankees born and bred, but living in Philly, I'll also root for the Phillies.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

• 2 weeks later...
My theory is that this time of year you see teams making deals that look irrational on paper, from a pure competitiveness standpoint, but that make more sense when ticket sales are factored in. The Giants are probably ready to overpay for Pablo Sandoval who, despite being a legitimate October hero, has been just slightly better than average as a third baseman the past two seasons. And that's now. Being the irrepressible bon vivant that he is, you have to worry about how his waistline will expand if he's given a 5 or 6 year deal. Giving this guy more than $15/yr seems foolish, and yet he is hugely popular with the Giants fans. The production of Panda paraphanelia is a small industry unto itself (it's probably all made offshore).

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

penalize the giants a few million per yr for not developing a 3rd baseman in their farm system. and us Giant fans know there is no other good quality 3rd basemen on the market.

the owership is flush with money right now. and madbum, posey are playing on the cheap vs their market value. i think panik gets the minimum. ATT park was paid for with public $.

true, the lincecum deal looks dumb right now. so did the rowan deal. but i am trying hard not to feel sorry for gazillionaire owners

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• 2 weeks later...
The Giants are probably ready to overpay for Pablo Sandoval who, despite being a legitimate October hero, has been just slightly better than average as a third baseman the past two seasons. And that's now. Being the irrepressible bon vivant that he is, you have to worry about how his waistline will expand if he's given a 5 or 6 year deal. Giving this guy more than $15/yr seems foolish, and yet he is hugely popular with the Giants fans.

Red Sox are willing to pay for his foolishness

5 YEARS 95 MILLION DOLLARS

:nopity:

The Giants are probably ready to overpay for Pablo Sandoval who, despite being a legitimate October hero, has been just slightly better than average as a third baseman the past two seasons. And that's now. Being the irrepressible bon vivant that he is, you have to worry about how his waistline will expand if he's given a 5 or 6 year deal. Giving this guy more than $15/yr seems foolish, and yet he is hugely popular with the Giants fans.

Red Sox are willing to pay for his foolishness

5 YEARS 95 MILLION DOLLARS

The top bidder reportedly is the Padres who, despite being a small market team, might benefit even more than the Giants from Panda's hispanic fan base appeal. They would probably install him at first base where he can grow . . . um . . . I mean age more gracefully.

My guess is he'll be in Boston next year. He'll probably hit very well in Fenway, so if he's thinking about his legacy as a hitter, he'll go there.

I have my doubts about the Pads doing this kind of deal.

I think Pablo wants that " 100M " deal and the years, like 6 yrs.

The Giants have a way of getting things done. They could tie some conditions on year 6 plus some incentives here and there.

But the Giants have a history of doing bad deals, like Lincecum, Aubrey Huff, Aron Rowan, Zito and possibly Scutaro.

The Giants have some glaring needs at starting pitching, relief pitching ( don't count on Romo), and left field. I would be disappointed , as a fan, if the ownership said they could not solve all these because they gave Pablo his 6 yr $100M deal.

I also suspect he might be gone at that high price. Given his regular season stats. Keep in mind Pablo disappeared ( .170) in Sept. You might say the team carried him into the playoffs where he did his magic

[70's Songwriter]

It looks like Boston is the winner of the Sandoval Sweepstakes:

Red Sox to sign Pablo Sandoval

Furthermore

Hanley Ramirez, Red Sox agree

With the exodus to Boston, maybe it's time to shake off the dust on this old hit:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PX5t9VJweQ

Best,

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

I am pretty sure Wrigley Field can be easier for home run hitters than ATT :)

The Cubs are on a streak of five straight losing seasons. They haven't made the playoffs since 2008, and their championship drought dates to 1908.

Its his call/career

[70's Songwriter]

If reports are true that Lester's anticipated signing has been constipating the trade market, the rest of this week should be more interesting. I have a friend who like me is a big baseball fan, but unlike me he just tunes out during the offseason. Not me, I find this part of "season" fascinating.

Cubbies are overpaying Lester. He had a great year last year, as many players on the verge of free agency do. But his stats for the previous 3 years, especially ERA, don't indicate a pitcher worth more than $20 million. Maybe just barely worth 20. He'll probably be fine for a few more years, but not $26M fine.

Apparently the Giants were will to pay him that much. But then they're paying Tim Lincecum $20M to be a mop up reliever.

It never ceases to surprise me that, even though the majority of these big contracts don't pan out for the team, teams keep giving them. It just supports the theory that these contracts are as much about boosting ticket, TV, and advertising sales as they are about player performance. I can see how it makes business sense, and yet it's hard to not feel like we're all being duped.

It looks like we're going to see a very different Dodgers team next spring:

Dodgers agree to trade Matt Kemp

Dodgers not done making moves

I just hope different means better. At this stage of the process, it's hard to see trading Matt Kemp as a good thing

Best,

Geoff

• 4 months later...

I just hope different means better. At this stage of the process, it's hard to see trading Matt Kemp as a good thing

Best,

Geoff

did your team underestimate the Giants ?

http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Justin-Maxwell-lifts-Giants-to-sweep-of-Dodgers-6220322.php

[70's Songwriter]

As long as they stay healthy (of course that goes for every team) I think the Dodgers will be a very scary team all year with Adrian continuing to rake like he does.

I hope my Padres can keep them at bay, especially this weekend.

The Rockies have started well but I don't see them sticking around.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Best,

Geoff

http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Justin-Maxwell-lifts-Giants-to-sweep-of-Dodgers-6220322.php

I can't imagine why anyone would underestimate the Giants.

Best,

Geoff

Chris Rock on baseball. Funny, sad and true. ;)

[video:youtube]

Interesting and thought-provoking, but he doesn't really propose solutions other than "make it hipper," which will never happen. And he barely mentions latinos, who are growing presence on the field, in the stands, and in this country.

Geoff

I can't imagine why anyone would underestimate the Giants.

Best,

Geoff

you would think. I did hear before the Playoffs that the Dodgers felt confident they could handle the Giants. That the Cardinals were a more worthy team.

[70's Songwriter]

• 4 weeks later...

Archived