Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite wah pedal for clav ?

Aussie_Chicago

Now I finally have a clavinet in the stable ( E7 ) just wondering what wah pedals you guys use ? I have a Vox 847 but not that happy with it, just a bit too sharp especially on the higher octaves. Considering the cry baby 535Q or maybe the buddy guy cry baby , it seems a bit fuller in tone. Any suggestions ?

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used Vox and Crybaby... had both of them slightly modded, which is what I learned a lot of big players had done.

Another cool choice (harder to find) is the Mutron Volume-Wah.

The Morley Volume/wah is a bit insane, not great for standard wah stuff, but really cool for all out rock mayhem, esp when combined with an analog delay.

I've used Vox and Crybaby... had both of them slightly modded, which is what I learned a lot of big players had done.

Another cool choice (harder to find) is the Mutron Volume-Wah.

The Morley Volume/wah is a bit insane, not great for standard wah stuff, but really cool for all out rock mayhem, esp when combined with an analog delay.

For the Clavinet D6 I used a 60s VOX wah pedal, Mutron III (touch wah/filter) EH Deluxe Electic Mistress Flanger and Mutron Phasor II.

I prefered the 70s Morley Fuzz/Wah/Volume for my Fender Rhodes MKI 73 Stage together w/ a BOSS GE-10 EQ and a Schulte Compact Phasing A.

Both ran into my Fender Dual Showman Reverb amp, it powering different cab combos over the time,- Marshal, Ampeg and Fender.

A.C.

Any suggestions ?

I have a mid 90's Cry Baby and a just purchased Vox V847A. They sound very similar to me, I was hoping for a bigger difference. I use a 1979 Fender Bassman 4 x 10 sealed back as an amp. I would like to purchase the Fulltone Clyde but can't fund that right now.

Maybe you might try that one.

:nopity:

Just looking at the Fender fuzz wah, going for decent money, what I don't like about the Vox is it kind of sounds nasal, Im looking for more meat if you can get my drift. I don't have a tube amp, playing it through my dxr10, but speaking of tubes, maybe Ill try it through the speakeasy pre amp , didn't think of that before....Maybe a cry baby classic with the fasel would be the cheapest option right now. I don't want to spend tons of money on a wah.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Just looking at the Fender fuzz wah, going for decent money, what I don't like about the Vox is it kind of sounds nasal, Im looking for more meat if you can get my drift. I don't have a tube amp, playing it through my dxr10, but speaking of tubes, maybe Ill try it through the speakeasy pre amp , didn't think of that before....Maybe a cry baby classic with the fasel would be the cheapest option right now. I don't want to spend tons of money on a wah.

And keep in mind that by its nature (band-pass filter) a wah is going to be thin. At least technically it's only giving you a thin slice of the frequency pie at any given time.

A pre-amp with EQ will help, so will some compression when it comes to beefing things up.

I've used this for years

http://www.vintageguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/17-VOX-CLYDE.jpg

But I tend to favor this guy even more

http://bowz.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_0cd/bowz/Q-Tron.jpg

I've been using a Dunlop Bass Wah that my drummer picked up used, and I absolutely love it. Its spring loaded so you don't have to click a button to turn it on, you step on it and its on, take your foot away and its off. Also, it keeps the bass end of the signal in the tone, which I quite like, you still get the wah sounding effect, but it doesn't take away the fullness of my tone (also is nice with a Rhodes because of it). The adjustable 'Q' (resonance) lets you get some really dirty nearly synthy tones out of it too. Love it.

I've been using a Dunlop Bass Wah that my drummer picked up used, and I absolutely love it. Its spring loaded so you don't have to click a button to turn it on, you step on it and its on, take your foot away and its off. Also, it keeps the bass end of the signal in the tone, which I quite like, you still get the wah sounding effect, but it doesn't take away the fullness of my tone (also is nice with a Rhodes because of it). The adjustable 'Q' (resonance) lets you get some really dirty nearly synthy tones out of it too. Love it.

This sounds promising! Been thinking of getting a bass wah for the same reasons you mention.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

I used an original Budda Bud-Wah when I had my EMU VK-6 and it really sounded damn nice with the Clavinet patches on it.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

I used a Thomas Organ Co Crybaby becausr that is what I had. I used a Dr Q and liked that better. The Q-Tron by all purpose is totally better that the Dr Q.

Wah pedals get really thin sounding. I have some Morley and Tech 21 wah that have a lot more balls in the bottom end but I don't think that would work well. Might even cause some feedback issues.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Well, my clone-clavs are all stereo re-creations so in the interest of preserving the signal chain I got a hold of a GigFX Megawah, an outrageous stereo clone-crybaby that does a few tricks and doubles as an occasional volume pedal. A bit pricey but does the job nicely.

Archived