Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Epiphany!

Bluesape

Ever since I acquired my Studio, with its go-to looks, tones, and playability, I began having my usual "what if" notions about obtaining a second LP in case my new-found indispensable axe went down for service. The realities of being way too poor for my tastes have prevented this quest from being realized. There were times when my band mates were aghast that I left it at home for a gig in favor of something else, as they were equally enamored of its tone: "Why didn't you bring the white guitar? Is it broken?"

I have something of a collection, all great guitars, and I try to rotate them, at least as the nature of the gigs allow. I have other HH axes that sound as good or better, but their size, propensity to feed back, and irreplaceability make the compact, ballsy LP the more convenient choice on tight or risky stages. I always try to bring 1 SC and 1 HH axe to each gig, the Tele, Strats, Blades, or Freeways covering the Jimi/SRV/Floyd stuff, while the HH ones cover jazzier, mellower stuff, along with some classic rock tunes. Since I know can get through the whole gig with either guitar, I've taken to leaving the backup for string pops and other unforeseen issues. Lately, I've playing the whole gigs with a Strat, Freeway, Tele or the LP, and having no real pangs for any other axe, regardless of the song. My other guitarist brings only his Strat, and seems to get by just fine with it.

The bottom line in this long and wordy post, is that unless my financial situation dramatically improves, I'll do just fine with the excellent guitars I have, and a spare LP is an unnecessary pipe dream. I still sound like me no matter what axe is strapped on.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...The bottom line in this long and wordy post, is that unless my financial situation dramatically improves, I'll do just fine with the excellent guitars I have, and a spare LP is an unnecessary pipe dream. I still sound like me no matter what axe is strapped on.

:cool:

"Technically, if you were to take a stock Jem (guitar) and a stock Legacy amp and play on the neck position pick up, you should have this tone. Keep in mind though, tone is in your head and your fingers and not necessarily an amp and guitar." ~ Steve Vai

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

It only takes one LP to keep you company Bluesape, but I would still keep that 2nd LP in mind just in case a few bucks should come your way. It's funny, but I too sound the same on every guitar I play for some reason...I feel complimented when someone says "boy that's a good sounding guitar" even though the compliment wasn't really meant for my playing... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Here's a little story about something else that might clarify....

Or even muddle things a bit more...

A lady throwing a dinner party invited an old friend, who is a professional photographer. She asked him to bring a portfolio of his work for the other guests to look at.

At the dinner, before the food was served, everybody was looking over the photos and admiring them greatly. the hostess, upon looking them over, remarked, "MY, what beautiful photographs! You must have a REALLY nice CAMERA!"

When all the guests were seated for dining,and the food was served, the photographer took a forkful of the main course and exclaimed, "Why, what a DELICIOUS meal! You must have a FANTASTIC set of POTS AND PANS!"

"Nuff said?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

The bottom line in this long and wordy post, is that unless my financial situation dramatically improves, I'll do just fine with the excellent guitars I have, and a spare LP is an unnecessary pipe dream. I still sound like me no matter what axe is strapped on.

:2thu:

Take care, Larryz

Here's a little story about something else that might clarify....

Or even muddle things a bit more...

A lady throwing a dinner party invited an old friend, who is a professional photographer. She asked him to bring a portfolio of his work for the other guests to look at.

At the dinner, before the food was served, everybody was looking over the photos and admiring them greatly. the hostess, upon looking them over, remarked, "MY, what beautiful photographs! You must have a REALLY nice CAMERA!"

When all the guests were seated for dining,and the food was served, the photographer took a forkful of the main course and exclaimed, "Why, what a DELICIOUS meal! You must have a FANTASTIC set of POTS AND PANS!"

"Nuff said?

Whitefang

Yes!

Ever since I acquired my Studio, with its go-to looks, tones, and playability, I began having my usual "what if" notions about obtaining a second LP in case my new-found indispensable axe went down for service. The realities of being way too poor for my tastes have prevented this quest from being realized. There were times when my band mates were aghast that I left it at home for a gig in favor of something else, as they were equally enamored of its tone: "Why didn't you bring the white guitar? Is it broken?"

I have something of a collection, all great guitars, and I try to rotate them, at least as the nature of the gigs allow. I have other HH axes that sound as good or better, but their size, propensity to feed back, and irreplaceability make the compact, ballsy LP the more convenient choice on tight or risky stages. I always try to bring 1 SC and 1 HH axe to each gig, the Tele, Strats, Blades, or Freeways covering the Jimi/SRV/Floyd stuff, while the HH ones cover jazzier, mellower stuff, along with some classic rock tunes. Since I know can get through the whole gig with either guitar, I've taken to leaving the backup for string pops and other unforeseen issues. Lately, I've playing the whole gigs with a Strat, Freeway, Tele or the LP, and having no real pangs for any other axe, regardless of the song. My other guitarist brings only his Strat, and seems to get by just fine with it.

I G.A.S. a bit for an ES 335... but I ignore the urge, because the most compliments I ever get on gigs about tone is when I play the Chinese Hamer Echotone 335 copy with Seymour Duncan '59 pickups in it already that cost me $200. Hamer seemed underexposed, so people have never seen one and think it was one of their high-end pricey guitars, and I tell 'em no, they can go to eBay and buy one for under $300 and swap out the pickups and be in the same boat. I have a kid with many years of private school attendance starting in a few years... time to adopt a post-materialist philosophy on gear, and the stuff I have does make me happy... so yeah, that's good enough.

Buying time to just play as much as I want these days is what I'm wondering how to do.

Y'all might LAUGH at this----or maybe NOT!

MY "dream axes" have always been:

MARTIN--D-28. They had one in the "wall rack" at Grinnell Bros. muic in my hometown(Grinnell was a premier music store in the greater Detroit area. They also made very good spinet pianos)

At any rate, because me and my buddy Chuck were the only "Punks" who came into the store, back in summer, '67, who handled the guitars with respect and care, we were the only "punks" the head salesman Scotty, and the others would allow to HANDLE them. And hearing for some time how GREAT Martins were supposed to be, I'd take THEIRS down and soon fell in love with it! And back THEN, it was selling for $500! Out of range for your average 16 year old back then....

Next comes ANOTHER one I loved in that store, the Gibson Hummingbird 12-string they had---a CHEAPER $300!

In 1969, a group of us went to WONDERLAND MUSIC on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn Michigan( it's still there and thriving. Incidentally, Grinnell Bros. is long gone) Which is where I fell in love with an "Ocean Blue" Mosrite Gospel Semi-hollow body! SWEET looking axe! Saw one recently on that "Pawn Stars" show! Can't remember the cost.

Down the street from Wonderland is HEWITT'S Music, which mostly only sells MARCHING BAND instruments now, but back in '69, they sold a bit of everything. THEY had a Gibson Les Paul GOLDTOP in there that was identical to the one JOE WALSH played with The James Gang at Detroit's GRANDE BALLROOM a week earlier. Of course, at the time, they haven't yet recorded any LPs, and NObody knew the name JOE WALSH, but the GUITAR stood out for me, ALMOST as much as his PLAYING did. Anyway, Hewitt's had a $500 price tag on it!

Finally, also at Hewitt's, they had a Gibson TS-140. With TWO pick-ups. It played as easily as the LP, and was also a lot lighter in weight. But was, at the time, $100 CHEAPER.

Too bad real life interferred too much for me to accquire these fine instruments. Although I'm happy enough with what I now have, in spite of not being better at playing them.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

My buddy and I would walk a mile out of our way on the way home from high school in 1965 to visit a little guitar store named Guitar Showcase. We too, were the only two "punks" that were allowed to handle the new Strats and Teles on the wall. My buddy had a Mustang which we both loved and I wanted one but was a little short on cash in those days. We had our own little band and I settled for playing my dad's 50's 335 until I could afford my own guitar and settled for an Aria that I found at a Pawn shop. After getting out of the Army in 71 I returned to the new Guitar Showcase across town at it's new location, still owned by our old friend Barry and bought my Les Paul Deluxe and a Fender Twin Reverb...I wish I still had both of them... :cry:
Take care, Larryz

Archived