Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A giant is gone: Jack Bruce RIP

Phnymiboy

What a sad day in music. I remember seeing Cream live at the old Electric factory in Philly. WOW!!! But of course he went on to do other amazing music after Cream. He will be greatly missed.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/25/jack-bruce-former-cream-man-dies-aged-71?CMP=twt_gu

Bruce

http://bigfun3.bandcamp.com

www.facebook.com/BigFunThree

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, sad news indeed. I played bass professionally for 20 years, Jack Bruce and John Paul Jones were among my first inspirations to take up the instrument. While I still love Cream, and go back to their records all the time, I really enjoyed a lot of the twists and turns Bruce took through his later career. He could have justifiably coasted as a rock legend, but instead, he did many projects that were really challenging. I loved the records he did with Michael Mantler for ECM.

[video:youtube]

And the album/tour he did with Spectrum Road a few years ago showed that he was still killing it.

[video:youtube]

What a life in music!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I saw him with Spectrum Road a few years ago. He didn't move much -- propped himself on a stool as I recall -- but he played like a monster. And of course I love him on Turn It Over with Tony Williams Lifetime.

I never care for Cream except for White Room. Guitar trios bore me to death. It all sounds the same. I first got into Jack Bruce through Zappa's Apostrohe album. I loved his playing. weird thing is Jack claimed he didn't play on it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Like John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin, Jack Bruce was the unsung hero of Cream. Certainly, like JPJ, the best musician of the group.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I wonder if Jack played the Mellotron part on Badge...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Oh boy Markay. How can I say this delicately. Bruce was a bassist and also played keyboards.

Read one thing - think another, I plead diminished capacity as it was 3.30am here when I posted. Read the article and was thinking about Ginger Baker and the lifetime conflict between Jack and Ginger.

IRRC Jack was identified as gifted cellist by age 14. Supremely talented bass player and I always marvelled at the ease with which he switched between fretted and fretless bass.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Sad news indeed.....a colossus of music!

His breadth of mastery speaks for itself!

Well played and well lived!!!!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Archived