Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

4 ft. instrument cables

richforman

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks David! Wasn't familiar with Redco but I just hopped onto their web site and I see what you mean, they'll make it however you need - fantastic!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

wire + connectors + cutters + soldering iron == cables any way you want.

Yep this!! It's not rocket science :D

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Haha, no, I'm afraid I have to admit, it is to me! (Should have specified in my first post that I was looking for an answer that didn't include the phrase "soldering iron"!)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

I'm positive if it's worth it if you're remotely a handyman type and already have and are comfortable with using those tools. Me on the other hand....

Rich Forman

Luckily, our drummer is an electronics tech, and on the one occasion I needed a couple of custom length cables made, he knocked them up for me in about 20 minutes, for the cost of the components plus I bought him a couple of beers.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

What I am running is a 5' 6 channel fan to fan snake to run my keys to the rack with my line mixer. You can have Redco do a fan to fan of any length. My snake is about $70 but that is not so bad. If I were to go spend $10 ea on 6 cables that is $60 right there.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Huh, was so excited to see they'd make the custom-length cables, didn't think of seeing if they could combine them into a fan like that before I placed my order. Just thinking of velcro'ing them together, will that work well? Seems easier than using duct tape or something similar.

Rich Forman

Huh, was so excited to see they'd make the custom-length cables, didn't think of seeing if they could combine them into a fan like that before I placed my order. Just thinking of velcro'ing them together, will that work well? Seems easier than using duct tape or something similar.

I use zip ties. My rack is full of them to tie stuff off, and my custom "snakes" all use them to keep things neat as the cables go to their destinations.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I got techflex (amazon). My run was 25 feet though, so all those velcro ties were pretty annoying and caught on everything when pulling the snake. I got the split techflex so it's easy to change a cable, and they don't fall out. I love the stuff, looks good, coils up great and slides over everything without catching.

You could also consider shrinkwrap for shorter runs like that, in my case my cables will take a bit more of a beating than shorter ones at my rig so I wanted something easier to change out.

I actually make cable now and then since I can solder very well :)

That being said, I did have Redco make me a nice 20 foot snake with four 1/4" plugs on each end, and two MIDI plugs on each end. 15" fan on each side. Instrument side has angled connectors. Rack side has straight.

It's held up for 5 years so far with zero issues.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Arturia Keylab 61MK2 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I spend the money on good cables, but even so they get fatigued and have to be renewed. Sometimes I cut the ends off and put on good quality 1/4" connectors, other times it's just a matter of heating and "re-flowing" the solder.

I was trained by an electrician father and then by the US Marines (Avionics), but it really is not rocket science to solder, and the equipment is cheap. Years of building my own stuff for Ham Radio (K1CXW) has kept me in practice.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Just thinking of velcro'ing them together, will that work well? Seems easier than using duct tape or something similar.

Heat shrink tubing

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Archived