Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio PX-5s VS Nord Stage 2 BLIND piano sound test! :)

Klavishko

better sound is:  

330 members have voted

1. 1. better sound is:

This is starting to get old. Looks like this thread has run its course and we're sinking into minutiae. I'd hate to think we've been fished in by pot stirring. Sure,many of us can tell which is which and I immediately knew which I preferred based on the given examples,but... Come on Klavishko,spill the beans.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

damn it......I guess faced with the brutal truth of it all, I'll have to sell my Casio, or just pull over and leave it on the side of the road, since it's a POS apparently......

or not. I'd do that, but I'm simply having too much fun playing it. It sounds great to these "uncultured" ears!

I'll just say IMHO, the downloadable Wurly sounds from the Casio are much better than the ones I found on Nord's downloadable site. Some people like the Wurly souns on the Nord but I really don't.

I like the Rhodes sounds on Nord, but they don't blow me away. In fact I've of come across a few that are downloadable from Casio that are nice. Some are quirky and some needed to be played in for a good sound. I don't always have the option of playing in stereo.

The higher register of the Nord's AP can be irritating. Too tinny, although the Bright Grand cuts through the mix. The Black Upright can sound great played in stereo, if soloing isn't required.

Nord electro 3 73, Casio Px-5s, Yamaha SY-85, A&H ZED FX mixer, 2 QSC K8.2s

damn it......I guess faced with the brutal truth of it all, I'll have to sell my Casio, or just pull over and leave it on the side of the road, since it's a POS apparently......

I don't think anyone is suggesting that.

The OP challenged us to assess two recordings, that's all.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

This is a blind comparison. We don't know which is which and it is a comparison of one patch against another. If one is too brite load a darker piano. What the heck.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Nice. I actually guessed which was which correctly and from the get go preferred the sound of the one I happen to own. It could just as easily have turned out the opposite. Don't really care who clobbered who in this very small poll but I do appreciate the spoiler that confirmed what my ears told me. Thanks D.

Actually,I wouldn't kick either of these instruments off the stage.

Sarcasm doesn't really translate in print, does it?

:D

Rudy

Usually it does, however in this particular case I detected an element of self-doubt, so felt the need to reassure you.

/s

I made a choice as to the piano that offended me least, then I've been reading all these responses. I also bought a new DP this year. I'd have to say that audio samples don't reveal enough when making a purchase. IMO, you have to play it and hear it through headphones and through amps and see if it speaks to your ideal.

I also notice from this site that the type of music you play directly affects the sound you like and I guess the functionality, size and feel also have to be added when deciding on a purchase.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

If the OP ever reappears, I'd be curious to know which piano sample was loaded into the Nord. Or maybe someone here is familiar enough with the Nord pianos to be able to recognize it?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If the OP ever reappears, I'd be curious to know which piano sample was loaded into the Nord. Or maybe someone here is familiar enough with the Nord pianos to be able to recognize it?
I'd like to see a thread and have Nord users identify what Nord sample they're listening to. I might be able to tell that they're different but to say "oh that was the Fazoli...," would seem to be difficult.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I'd like to see a thread and have Nord users identify what Nord sample they're listening to. I might be able to tell that they're different but to say "oh that was the Fazoli...," would seem to be difficult.

What would be the point of this?

What would be the point of this?

I'd like to know. You know I don't connect with Nord, so when I had one I tried every piano and couldn't really tell the difference between samples, yet Nord videos would say things like "listen to the might sound of this Fazoli,etc."

I respect people who love the AP's on the Nord, but I struggle with these "love-in" threads about new sounds. You could probably just take any upright sound and lower the highs and it's now a mellow piano.

So, I thought it would fun to see how many Nord users can differentiate between the samples.

So, I thought it would fun to see how many Nord users can differentiate between the samples.

It's an interesting question. I seriously doubt I could reliably tell which one was which, but I can categorize them into ones I like and ones I don't, at least when I'm playing them. I was not a big fan of any of the Nord grand pianos until they came out with the Grand Imperial sample.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I respect people who love the AP's on the Nord, but I struggle with these "love-in" threads about new sounds. You could probably just take any upright sound and lower the highs and it's now a mellow piano.

It seems like you're too caught up in the brands. :idk

I think each of the Nord pianos (grand and upright) have characteristics that differentiate themselves from one another. They may not be apparent on first listen -- they may not even be readily identifiable as a specific brand characteristic -- but they don't all sound the same.

Ultimately, the goal is a convincing and highly playable piano sample, right? The Mellow Piano is all about vibe, not brand name. :idea:

I believe if you play any one of the Nord samples for long enough you will be be able to pick out tonal characteristics that are unique.

The 'Black Upright' is my go-to acoustic piano, and I'm pretty confident I could pick it out in a run-off against the other Nord upright or grand samples.

As for this:

I struggle with these "love-in" threads about new sounds.

No one is forcing you to read them...

Cheers,

James

x

Well, I am fortunate to have both a PX-5S and a Nord Electro 4 73 that can play the same pianos the Stage can. I sort of view the PX-5S piano as one more sampled piano in the arsenal...and it is a very good one IMO. What I particularly enjoy, though, is using the PX-5S keyboard to play the Nord pianos. I don't know if it is the weighted action, the triple sensor keys or the high res MIDI from the PX-5S that makes a difference...or maybe it's just my imagination, but the Nord sound much better this way than it does using the waterfall keyboard on my NE4. Anyone else notice this?

I agree, the Nord pianos play poorly from Nord's SW actions, and play very nicely from a Casio PX350 or PX5S. Plus the PX5S gives you better ways to call up Nord presets than you get on the Nord itself!

Hi Guy's,

How can you compare two pianos with such differing prices? In the U.K. a Casio PX5-S would cost me £700, but a Nord Stage 2 would cost me three times the price plus an extra £200 (£2,300 in total). Surely this would be like a Car magazine doing a road test comparison between a Fiat 500 and an Audi S5.

One thing I have noticed is that opinions are divided as to which is the better sounding piano.

Chris

The comparison I believe is valid because these are the two stage pianos most preferred by US soccer moms.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived