Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Someone else moving your rig (once set up)

DaveMcM

Another reason not to be playing that lightweight Casio/Nord nonsense. Play real steel. Make those ******* work to move your stuff. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She said she had never been spoken to so disrespectfully.
I'd have replied "That surprises the heck out of me, give how little respect you show others. You obviously had no clue what you were doing, and now it's clear that you don't even realize that you had no clue. Here's a dollar. Go buy a clue."

Of course, I'd have said that in my head, an hour later. I never think fast enough in the heat of battle.

I'd be frosted if someone moved my stuff, with special exceptions.

How I think you should have reacted: taken a deep breath, and quietly put your stuff back, ensuring there was no damage.

How I probably would have reacted: Almost the same as you. I may have approached her, and tried to keep it light, but eventually I would have told her off in a polite tone, but passive aggressive too.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Never leave your stuff unattended. It always leads to bad things.

This is now printed and taped to the inside of the chart book as the best advice ever.

I once had a team of large go-go dancers move my rig about five feet away and unplug everything, as they needed more space, in more ways than one, but thats another story.

Just last night at a bar while I had briefly stepped away, a good musician, no less, who often plays there and was on after us, decided to not move, but re-cable and reconfigure, my rig 5-10 minutes before we were set to begin. I discovered my own monitor had been removed and I was to use their monitor over which I had no control and was crap and I spent most of the set straining to hear myself or wondering if I had the right patch up because their monitor was so terrible. Then, I usually use a Rolls line mixer for my two boards (and monitor), but it had been all disconnected, and each board had been re-plugged into its own DI and would be controlled by the sound guy, thus taking away my control of the relative balance. No one consulted me or sought me out (I was no more than 30 feet away). I hate to think this was a kind of mansplaining or gender-imbalanced situation, as I am a female, but it wasnt helped by being told afterward that I needed to smile more on stage. Perhaps I would smile more on stage if people kept their paws off my instruments and my rig, and I were not performing minutes after this sort of ravage.

I really like the guy, but I should have punched him.

(Later:) Really, I should have said I "could" have punched him. He's a great guy and got us that gig and has done *a lot* for us and is an absolute sweetheart, but this sort of thing has happened too many times over the years and I've run out of patience. It's the not asking or consulting part and hint of invalidation that is so infuriating.

------

Nord Electro 4HP, Vent, Korg Triton Extreme, Yamaha P155, 1925 Steinway M

She said she had never been spoken to so disrespectfully.

I'd have told her that today was her lucky day, and that I was about to give her a bit more. And the minute she tried to say another word, I would have put my finger to my mouth, and urged her to just let it go, unless she wanted to watch me pack up my shit, at which point she could then explain to whoever gave a $hit WHY there was no keyboard player.

Unless the person who pays me (or a representative truly thereof) asks me to move it, everyone else can GTFO.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Never leave your stuff unattended. It always leads to bad things.

This is now printed and taped to the inside of the chart book as the best advice ever.

I once had a team of large go-go dancers move my rig about five feet away and unplug everything, as they needed more space, in more ways than one, but thats another story.

Just last night at a bar while I had briefly stepped away, a good musician, no less, who often plays there decided to not move, but re-cable and reconfigure, my rig 5-10 minutes before we were set to begin. I discovered my own monitor had been disconnected and I was to use their monitor over which I had no control and was crap and I spent most of the set straining to hear myself or wondering if I had the right patch up because their monitor was so terrible. Then, I usually use a Rolls line mixer for my two boards (and monitor), but it had been removed, yes removed, and each board had been re-plugged into its own DI and would be controlled by the sound guy, thus taking away my control of the relative balance. No one consulted me or sought me out (I was no more than 30 feet away). I hate to think this was a kind of mansplaining or gender-imbalanced situation, as I am a female, but it wasnt helped by being told afterward that I needed to smile more on stage. Perhaps I would smile more on stage if people kept their paws off my instruments and my rig, and I were not performing minutes after the aftermath of this sort of ravage.

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

And I wouldn't have played a single note until my gear was returned to me, and it was rectified. And I don't care if it's the opening of the show.

Yeah, I'm full of myself, but I'm way past full of other peoples' bullshit.

You should have punched him.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

You should have punched him.

Yeah.

You shoulda had Mr. Boney Mounds punch him! :taz:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived