Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

hurricane hugo

4 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

^ oh miki you're so fine you're so fine you blow my mind hey miki

Moving on...Universal Audio has put out an 1176 (their legendary compressor) pedal; here's video:

VERY cool, smashing and squeezing multiple 'studio' boosts and compressors into one guitar friendly little pedal for an iconic sound...

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

On 7/14/2023 at 3:54 PM, Scott Fraser said:

I get all my modulation kicks these days from Leslie plugins. More organic & complex than flanging, chorusing, phasing, tremolo, or vibrato, while combining the best of all of them, along with overdrive as an added treat.

On 7/14/2023 at 5:27 PM, Dave Bryce said:

I so hear that!  I have one of the Leslie preamp pedals that lets me route anything with a 1/4” jack through my 145, and I keep a distortion pedal along with a delay/reverb pedal in line on the way to the Leslie.  Drop a nice mic on that bad boy, and I’m good to go.

Speakin' o' Leslie sims and the like...

You two should get your hands on a Boss RT-20 'Rotary Ensemble' Leslie/rotary-sim pedal with full "stereo" Left and Right I/O. It's one of the better ones, with very few- only one, really- appreciably superior rivals; IMHO, the Neo Ventilator II. But I digress... ;)

The reason I recommend that you get a hold of an RT-20, and the reason I will always keep mine even after getting a Neo Vent II, is that using my RT-20, I found that when I put the Brake on (which stops the simulated rotary-motion, just like the Brake on a real Leslie) by simultaneously depressing both footswitches, and adjust the "Direct" level higher than the "Effect" level, beautifully strange resonant tones that sound like the amp is in a giant pipe or chimney can be dialed-in. Swish both the Direct and Effect knobs around to find sounds that you like. Now...

If you listen very closely to rhythm-guitar tracks the song "Houses of the Holy" by Led Zeppelin (on the Physical Graffiti album), especially at about 3:16 heading into the lead-guitar solo segment, you can hear the kind of sound I'm talking about here.

Reportedly, some guitar-tracks on some Led Zeppelin recording sessions done at Bron-Yr-Aur, a 1700's stone cottage in the English countryside, were recorded with a small combo-amp placed in a fireplace, with microphones hung down the chimney; I strongly suspect that these parts in "Houses of the Holy" may have been among them. I can get very, VERY similar sounds with my Boss RT-20 set the way I describe above!

I alsofound some cool ways to get some resonant, cabinet-sim, peaky mid honk, weird very small-room 'verb, and unusual tones not unlike a comb-filter or a flanger fixed in one point of its LFO-sweep.

Km33Ixc.jpg

2 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Speakin' o' Leslie sims and the like...

You two should get your hands on a Boss RT-20 'Rotary Ensemble' Leslie/rotary-sim pedal with full "stereo" Left and Right I/O. It's one of the better ones, with very few- only one, really- appreciably superior rivals; IMHO, the Neo Ventilator II. But I digress... ;)

The reason I recommend that you get a hold of an RT-20, and the reason I will always keep mine even after getting a Neo Vent II, is that using my RT-20, I found that when I put the Brake on (which stops the simulated rotary-motion, just like the Brake on a real Leslie) by simultaneously depressing both footswitches, and adjust the "Direct" level higher than the "Effect" level, beautifully strange resonant tones that sound like the amp is in a giant pipe or chimney can be dialed-in. Swish both the Direct and Effect knobs around to find sounds that you like. Now...

If you listen very closely to rhythm-guitar tracks the song "Houses of the Holy" by Led Zeppelin (on the Physical Graffiti album), especially at about 3:16 heading into the lead-guitar solo segment, you can hear the kind of sound I'm talking about here.

Reportedly, some guitar-tracks on some Led Zeppelin recording sessions done at Bron-Yr-Aur, a 1700's stone cottage in the English countryside, were recorded with a small combo-amp placed in a fireplace, with microphones hung down the chimney; I strongly suspect that these parts in "Houses of the Holy" may have been among them. I can get very, VERY similar sounds with my Boss RT-20 set the way I describe above!

I alsofound some cool ways to get some resonant, cabinet-sim, peaky mid honk, weird very small-room 'verb, and unusual tones not unlike a comb-filter or a flanger fixed in one point of its LFO-sweep.

Km33Ixc.jpg

My single most favorite Boss RT-20 demo is this’n:

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

3 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

And, unlike every other Leslie pedal I've looked at, (and a lot of software plugins, too,) the Boss allows wet/dry mixing. Big plus for me.

That's what, along with putting the Brakes on, allows for that 'Jimmy Page/amp in the fireplace/mics hung down the chimney' simulation trick that I described above...

Do you have an RT-20, Scott?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

That's what, along with putting the Brakes on, allows for that 'Jimmy Page/amp in the fireplace/mics hung down the chimney' simulation trick that I described above...

Do you have an RT-20, Scott?

No, for recording I use the Melda plugin. For live concerts with Kronos I use the Logic plugin in Mainstage. For my own playing I use the Leslie emulator in a pair of Boss SE70 rack units. My intent is to replace the hardware with software for my live gigs. But here are some things which don't exist in software, like the EHX xxx9 series, & some things which just sound better as hardware. I've been long tempted to try out the RT-20 as possibly fitting into that latter category.

• Like 2
Scott Fraser

17 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

No, for recording I use the Melda plugin. For live concerts with Kronos I use the Logic plugin in Mainstage. For my own playing I use the Leslie emulator in a pair of Boss SE70 rack units. My intent is to replace the hardware with software for my live gigs. But here are some things which don't exist in software, like the EHX xxx9 series, & some things which just sound better as hardware. I've been long tempted to try out the RT-20 as possibly fitting into that latter category.

I've really enjoyed my RT-20 and got a LOT of miles out of it over many years; its one Achilles' heel for me is its overdrive- I just don't like it, and it's too much, too soon, the moment you get the OD knob past 'off' to 'on'. I really want a nice grind for that gurgle and rippling whirl...

Note that an RT-20 was good enough for Gary Moore when he performed "Angel" by Jimi Hendrix, during his Blues for Jimi concert event and DVD. It really sounds convincingly like a real live Leslie there, but as I was searching the screen for a rotary cabinet, a glimpse of his pedalboard revealed the RT-20 and its unmistakable twirling light display... 

The Neo Ventilator II seems to have a much better overdrive, and an even better Leslie/rotary sound in general. But I'll always want my RT-20 for the 'Page/Zep/"HotH"/amp in the fireplace/mics in the chimney' trick that I discovered...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

I bet it's fun to kick that one hard! Wait until somebody in the audience is taking a drink and *BAM!!!!*. 😇

IN~DEED. >CRASHH<

You can still get the DanElectro Spring King, which has a Tap Plate for that classic 'Verb Splash sound. I saw Elvis Costello with one up on a Music stand some years back, so he could hit the Tap Plate and get that sound.

• Like 3

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

6 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

What I'll say here is "Real, uh, 3" springs!"

I know what you mean.

But I also know what Hugo means.

It seems like a pretty cool pedal all around, with good sounds, and great features.

I don't hear or see anything that makes it something I necessarily need, but it's cool.

• Like 1

I so don't get it. Any tape machine I have owned which produced anything sounding like the various aspects of this pedal would have been ejected from the studio instantly. In the days of analog we did not love having tape recorders which were in any way lo-fi, warbly, crinkly, distorted, dropping out, buzzy, lossy, or anything else sounding like this pedal. Those sounds would have lost studios business back then, faulty equipment, avoid like the plague. Is somebody really nostalgic for that?

• Like 2
Scott Fraser

Once upon a time, all electric guitarists played clean.  Then someone decided they liked the sound of a ripped speaker cone, and dirt pedals were created.

The Generation Loss may not sound dood to your ears, but there’s all kinds of genres and guitarists looking for “new tricks” they can do.  Maybe it’s a dead end.  Maybe it’s a pedal only good for corner-case songs.  Maybe it inspires a new subgenre.  Who knows?🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

On 9/12/2023 at 8:17 PM, Scott Fraser said:

I so don't get it. Any tape machine I have owned which produced anything sounding like the various aspects of this pedal would have been ejected from the studio instantly. In the days of analog we did not love having tape recorders which were in any way lo-fi, warbly, crinkly, distorted, dropping out, buzzy, lossy, or anything else sounding like this pedal. Those sounds would have lost studios business back then, faulty equipment, avoid like the plague. Is somebody really nostalgic for that?

On 9/13/2023 at 9:02 PM, Dannyalcatraz said:

Once upon a time, all electric guitarists played clean.  Then someone decided they liked the sound of a ripped speaker cone, and dirt pedals were created.

The Generation Loss may not sound dood to your ears, but there’s all kinds of genres and guitarists looking for “new tricks” they can do.  Maybe it’s a dead end.  Maybe it’s a pedal only good for corner-case songs.  Maybe it inspires a new subgenre.  Who knows?🤷🏾‍♂️

I can understand what you're saying, Scott. And I certainly do not want to deal with the maintenance and fuss of real tape-echo units- or any tape machines, for that matter!

And I can also understand, and relate to, what you're saying, Danny.

Now... I discovered that I am rabidly enthralled with tape-flavored echo repeats that are garbled and degrading with the character, 'artifacts' and effects of simulated chewed-tape, splices, mechanical deficiencies, wow and flutter, oscillation, changing more and more with each repeat, getting increasingly darker or brighter. And I like for the difference between echo repeats and the initial sound to be very obvious.

There's no particular reason or reference, no romanticizing, not because anyone else said or wrote that I should- I just found that I love that kind of character in echoes and it's spoiled me for 'normal' echoes, especially that of pristine digital delay.

The Wow & Flutter, Tape Crinkle, Tape Age, Over and Under Bias parameters of my Strymon El Capistan opened the gates for me, and have pleased me immensely.

• Like 2

Once upon a time, VisualSound made some funky dual-pedals that looked like first base on a baseball diamond.  The fist ones had good sounds, but the enclosures were not the best.  The V2 versions had enclosures that could literally withstand a pickup truck driving over one, and the sounds remained good.

The most famous of the V2s were the Jekyll & Hyde OD/Distortion and the H20 Echo/Chorus, but the one that matters for THIS post was the Double Trouble.  That one was a dual OD featuring a pair of Tubescreamer circuits.

At some point, they decided to go with a more conventional rectangular design for the V3 iteration.  And shortly thereafter, they changed the company’s name to TrueTone.

Most of the V2 versions got a fairly straightforward V3 update, but the Double Trouble swapped out one of the Tubescreamer circuits for a Nobels OD circuit, and became the VS-XO*.  

Well, Robert Keeley apparently liked the idea of a TS/Nobels dual OD because he has done his own version of one…and it’s much smaller.

* because it was manufactured during the name change, some VS-XO pedals are marked as “VisualSound”, the rest are all “TrueTone”.

• Like 3

On 9/21/2023 at 3:17 PM, surfergirl said:

3 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

The Deep Freeze and Pico Attack Decay look like two I would use.

The Pico Attack Decay (and its predecessor, the larger Attack Decay) would be interesting to me; I'd have to compare either of them to my beloved VFE BumbleBee.

The BumbleBee includes an optical-compressor circuit, which prevents the fading envelope tails of any sustained notes from getting 'chopped-off'; how the Attack Decay fares there would be a critical make-or-break detail for me.

• Like 1

@Caevan O’Shite- I haven't tried the current EHX Attack-Decay  RI, so I can't say how it behaves, but I have the Malekko Sneak Attack, which is an Attack/Decay Envelope Generator, much like you'd find in some Analog Synths. VERY different from the Slow Volume or Bumblebee, and much trickier to dial in. The Decay settings are critical. Took me several sessions with the Sneak Attack to get anywhere near the sound I wanted from it, while the 'Bee was no problem to set up.

• Like 3

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

9 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

@Caevan O’Shite- I haven't tried the current EHX Attack-Decay  RI, so I can't say how it behaves, but I have the Malekko Sneak Attack, which is an Attack/Decay Envelope Generator, much like you'd find in some Analog Synths. VERY different from the Slow Volume or Bumblebee, and much trickier to dial in. The Decay settings are critical. Took me several sessions with the Sneak Attack to get anywhere near the sound I wanted from it, while the 'Bee was no problem to set up.

What I love most about the BumbleBee is the way I can intuitively 'touch control' the volume-swells and the closing of the gate to allow the next note to volume-swell, one note after another, just by fingerstyle picking, damping, and muting, while allowing held notes to sustain without getting cut-off. It's fantastic for faking "backwards recorded" guitar lines! It can sound damn close to using a volume-pedal or the guitar's volume-knob, but my hands and feet are free. The only way that it could be better yet would be if it would dynamically respond with shorter, faster swells for harder picked notes, and longer, slower swells for more softly picked notes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

any My Bloody Valentine fans here? Looking for that Kevin Shields sound?   https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/reviews/fender-shields-blender

Like you had to freaking ask!😂

Some of those demo tones sounded more Jack White than Kevin Shields, but they all sounded pretty good to me.

adding this to my shopping list

• Like 2
  • Haha 1