Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is the jury out on Helen Sung's jazz piano?

Jazz+

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F**k Reich and his smug photo.

I've seen Helen in trio format and with the Mingus Big Band. She's a badass, and so are Ellis and Williams. I would love to see that quartet. Her new album is excellent.

The jury is out on whether this is a good thread.

I'm not sure why Jazz+ is even asking the question. He frequently seems unable to form his own opinions. One writer giving a lukewarm review hardly means the jury is out. Listen to her album, so see her live, and decide for yourself. :idea:

So, I couldn't read article cause I didn't want give out my personal info and Incognito mode in Chrome still didn't allow me to read article. I just as easily went to YouTube and watched a few videos.

I like her and appreciate that she plays with a genuine swing and doesn't (or didn't in the vids I saw,) go for pyrotechnics. When she smiles it seems natural. No Vegas show here :poke:

That being said I'll keep checking her out, but she doesn't evoke the same emotion I look for when I choose my favorites. She does sound like she will keep evolving and my first impression has room to change.

When I heard Herbie play this I felt "I have to transcribe this." This take not as much.

[video:youtube]

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

The jury is out on whether this is a good thread.
:D

Though I am always glad to see discussions of newer jazz artists on here. I had never heard of Kikoski.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Here is Kikoski with the Roy Haynes and John Patitucci, doing "Blues on the Corner." Interesting thing about him is that he can play in many different styles, sometimes sounds like McCoy, sometimes like Herbie, etc.

[video:youtube]

Thread title is lame. What is this jury supposed to decide? But I'm glad to find out about a new jazzer worthy of note. In this case, that would be Ms. Sung. Already knew about Kikoski, who is a monster.

In the video 16251 (if that is his real name -- ha!) posted, she sounds competent but kind of over her head paired with Carter. She's playing at a very high level, but she's not elite.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Thread title is lame. What is this jury supposed to decide? But I'm glad to find out about a new jazzer worthy of note. In this case, that would be Ms. Sung. Already knew about Kikoski, who is a monster.

In the video 16251 (if that is his real name -- ha!) posted, she sounds competent but kind of over her head paired with Carter. She's playing at a very high level, but she's not elite.

What he said.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

She's playing at a very high level, but she's not elite.

So? Who cares? Is this how we judge players, based on whether or not they can hang with Ron Carter? Perhaps we should shift focus and ask when was the last time Carter contributed something "elite" to jazz post-Miles? :idk

Let's also acknowledge that Sung trained as a classical pianist. Her transitioning to jazz makes her a rare double threat. :2thu:

She's playing at a very high level, but she's not elite.

So? Who cares? Is this how we judge players, based on whether or not they can hang with Ron Carter?

What is this "we" of which you speak?

I would probably rather listen to Sung than Hiromi, just because I prefer simple and melodic over pyrotechnic. It's interesting how my mind automatically wants to compare one female Asian jazz pianist with another. I suppose there's something subtly racist in that.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

It's interesting how my mind automatically wants to compare one female Asian jazz pianist with another. I suppose there's something subtly racist in that.
Perhaps, since Helen Sung is from Houston. She attended HSPVA, just like Jason Moran and Robert Glasper among others, though she went through the classical program and not the jazz program.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived