Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What about roland KC keyboard amplifier series?

lekanout

Best sounding keyboard rigs are what most of us used before powered speakers.

large 3-way passive cabinets with 15" drivers. Rack mounted power amps, mixer, etc..... My old keyboard rig was larger than some band's PAs. LOL

Yes.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't disagree too.

In fact 20 years ago i had 2 KB100 and it was quite good for what i remember.

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

Speaker of choice for my keyboard rig, back in the day:

http://auctionimages.s3.amazonaws.com/12150/10600/3757480_2TM11C209.jpg

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I had the old EV S1803 18" three way on casters bi-amped to a Crown amp using an Ashley mixer and Ashley crossover. Not only was it as big as modern PA's, it cost more.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

IIRC the old Peavey keyboard amps had a built-in non-defeatable limiter. Couldn't think of a worse way to amplify a keyboard rig.

Looks like this is turning into a nostalgia thread my rig back in the old days was a Carver PM800, bridged, into a JBL 3-way cab (forgot the #, it had a 15", mid & horn). I used a TOA D3 mixer and either a Roland SRV-2000 reverb or a Digitech DSP128 efx processor. The TOA is still pretty useful - 1U, four channels with an XLR & mic pre on one of them, and quiet.

I used a TOA D3 mixer and either a Roland SRV-2000 reverb or a Digitech DSP128 efx processor.

http://synpro.heimat.eu/pics/t_digitech_dsp128_front.gif

I had have one of these (DSP128).

At the time, when dinosaurs ruled the world, the DX7 had no built-in effects.

In fact today, it still doesn't. :/

So the Digitech DSP128 was the reverb/effects box to get. That and the Alesis QuadraVerb.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Yes if memory serves the DSP128 was one of the first multi-effects units. I still have mine too, although it's been many a year since any electrons have moved through it.

The SRV2000 was a very well-regarded reverb in its day also good for frying eggs on it's top! I still have that too. Maybe someday when these things achieve "vintage" status and people start hankering for the "cold" sound of aliasing digital audio, I'll make a killing on them... :)

Oh yeah, EV 15/3 ...

I had 2 of these together w/ the EV/Tapco Entertainer powered mixer and used all ´til 1986.

They sounded excellent.

A.C.

I got Ebola from a KC amp. Then it stole my identity and drained my bank accounts. The KC also ran away with my wife AND my girlfriend.

KC amps are behind every evil agenda known to man: New Coke, the Yugo, those douche hats that hipsters wear.. it all traces back to KC amps. You have been warned.

If I had to rate the evils in this world it would go like this:

1: Satan (duh!)

2: The VR-09

3: KC amps

4: ISIS

5: Those shopping carts with the one bad wheel

I got Ebola from a KC amp. Then it stole my identity and drained my bank accounts. The KC also ran away with my wife AND my girlfriend.

KC amps are behind every evil agenda known to man: New Coke, the Yugo, those douche hats that hipsters wear.. it all traces back to KC amps. You have been warned.

What's wrong with the VR-09? A well priced reasonable light weight board with a few quirks is what I've always thought.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

What's wrong with the VR-09? A well priced reasonable light weight board with a few quirks is what I've always thought.

SSM

(((pssst.. It's satire.)))

Problem with the VR-09 is that its commerical success will encourage Roland to abandon the professional keyboard market and produce cheap builds with junk actions. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

SSM

(((pssst.. It's satire.)))

Oh-Kaaaayy.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

now that's funny :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Oh-Kaaaayy.

SSM

I figured opening with Ebola and closing with the shopping cart would have made it clear it was all a joke. (Expect for the hipster hats. Those things really do suck.)

Next time I will use a smiley laughing guy. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

I figured opening with Ebola and closing with the shopping cart would have made it clear it was all a joke . . .

Your list was the funniest thing I've read all day. Strange how for a bunch of musicians some of us can be so tone-deaf.

"I like rock and roll, man, I don't like much else."  John Lennon 1970

Having finished with Noah, God turned to Satan and said: "Satan, build me a keyboard combo amp! It must be covered in rat fur and sound like...well, you know...poo. But it must be a great concept and sell like...you!"

Two demonic KC's sit in my basement, just kinda fell in my lap. Great concept yes, but jeez, what the hell happened at Roland?

• 3 months later...

It's great to read these funny comments (I'm just about to return the two KC 150's I bought from GC), but how about some alternatives that aren't so big or expensive? It's understandable -- quality costs money, and often has weight -- but what's a 50-year-old keyboardist on a budget [with a subcompact] to do?

Since the first reply suggested this thread could be avoided with a "simple search", I'll also add that it wasn't so easy just to find this thread; "best amplifier recommendation" doesn't do the trick. Links to those supposedly easy-to-find earlier threads would be very welcome, since neither I nor the search engine are evidently smart enough to find them without external assistance.

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

In 2013 I played through some Alto powered speakers. They were pretty decent for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Alto-Professional-TS115A-Loudspeaker-Built-In/dp/B005FUWTRC

The only keyboard "amps" I would consider are Traynor. Specifically the K4. It is over $1000, it's pretty heavy but it is a nice convenient solution as long as the casters are good.

If you consider the Behringer digital powered speakers I would stay away from the 12" they are very muddy around 125Hz. The others may sound OK.... personally I liked the Altos.

Long story short: most of us use powered PA monitors. A good inexpensive one is the EV ZLX-12P, other choices are the QSC K series and JBL PRX series.

Lately the Space Station has been getting a lot of love. There is a really long current thread on it.

Often we use a small mixer to give the speaker a good hot signal.

Moe

---

Ive been looking at keyboard amplification recently and im considering the EV ZLX 12P or for a bit more money the EV ELX 112P.

From reading around the net they seems to be very good value/sound quality for the money. Sound quality wise, powered PA speakers are the way to go

Oh heck those KC-150s were $450 ea. What I was reccomending is stuff under $300.

For the combined cost of the KC's you can get a pair of EVs and have money leftover for a mixer. Do what Moe says.

PS..... Get one speaker($400), a small mixer($45-120) and a Neo Mini Vent(350). :D

In 2013 I played through some Alto powered speakers. They were pretty decent for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Alto-Professional-TS115A-Loudspeaker-Built-In/dp/B005FUWTRC

The only keyboard "amps" I would consider are Traynor. Specifically the K4. It is over $1000, it's pretty heavy but it is a nice convenient solution as long as the casters are good.

If you consider the Behringer digital powered speakers I would stay away from the 12" they are very muddy around 125Hz. The others may sound OK.... personally I liked the Altos.

Agree re Alto's. Great value, and the 10's and 12's are good too.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

I had one of those when I was on the road in the early 80s. Powered it with a Crown D150 strapped in mono.

When I bought it I did a side-by-side at a gig where I compared the EV S15-3 to the JBL Cabaret series.

I bought the EV.

My Yamaha Cp-70B sounded great through it.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived