Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ch-ch-ch-changes!

Tonysounds

Ive been out of the loop the last month or two. For those not on facebook, or friends of mine who are not on facebook, my wife and I relocated to Albuquerque, NM at the end of September. My wife has some health issues that are exacerbated by Chicago weather, and she is from Albuquerque (and her sisters family lives there). We had gone there to visit this summer and were kind of stunned to see how much better she was breathing, and because of that, how much more energy and stamina she has. While for the last couple of years weve been taking motorcycle trips (can we live here?), her home was not a place under consideration as we figured the altitude would have a negative impact on her breathing, but that turned out not to be the case. Of course, riding into Colorado (Telluride especially), the same could not be said: we basically visited two recreational dispensaries in Telluride to see what that was all about, and then turned right around and headed back south. Of course, the altitude is over 8k in Telluride.

So at 2:00 a.m. on July 5, as I was driving us through the final stretch of our drive home, I turned to my wife and said lets just do it. So the next day, we put our very rough plan into action. (My job: get a job in NM; her job: get the house on the market and tell me what to do. ) It took me over 35 on-line applications, probably as many Craigslist ads, regularly perusing the NM Bar Assoc. classifieds, and a little over a month to find my new job (and lets just say its a little difficult and crazy to conduct phone and Skype interviews during business hours at the office), but strangely enough, from the first phone call I had with one particular headhunter whose blind ad I had answered, I knew she was going to find me THE job. And she did.

While a shitty time to try and sell a house in the Chicago market, we did get our house ready inside and out and got it on the market mid-August. Its likely not to sell before spring, but in the meantime, we have the house rented out at a profit which will help. We managed to have a garage sale, pack the house, make decisions on what was coming with us the first trip to NM (and decide what was going to stay until the house sold), hire a handyman to do regular checks on the house, a cleaning service to do the same, squeeze some visits with friends in, have a going-away party, pack a trailer and 2 cars with our stuff (and musical gear), ship our motorcycles, and get settled in Albuquerque. All in under 90 days.

Yeah, were kind of nuts.

I had met some musicians at jam nights when I was here in June, and had been offered paying gigs at those jam nights, and one of my old drummers moved here unbeknownst to me a few years back (after the band we were in relocated to Seattle.I passed on that one!). Im just starting to investigate the scene here and what it can offer me, and what I can offer it, as well as decide what direction Im going to take musically.

Interesting times, and lots of changes. My head is still spinning.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a heads up on why Ive been sort of MIA. Hope everyone else is well here!!!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the southwest especially when the winter in Illinois sucks.

Good Luck!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Congrats on having the balls to take a leap into the unknown. I've been following the saga on FB and and contemplating a change myself in the next year or so.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

What was not lost on me, and should be acknowledged, is your complete willingness to embrace all these changes for your wife's health.

You're probably thinking, "Well, of course, any real man who loves his wife would do the same at the drop of a hat". And that too would demonstrate what kind of a man you are.

Good on you. Your wife is fortunate indeed.

Hope the move brings you a wealth of new opportunities, as well as much better health for your wife.

Tim

While I knew you were moving, I missed the posts about why. That's great stuff, Tony. I mean, it sucks that your wife had health issues but great that relocating has resolved them and you were able to do it. I'm really happy for you guys. I didn't spend too much time with your wife while I was there, but she was a cool lady, at least for having us if nothing else. ;)

[Also, I had no idea who "Boney Mounds" was until I read this thread! :laugh: ]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It reminds me of a similar story. When I was really young, my best friend lived around the corner from us on Long Island. His dad was a volunteer firefighter and got injured fighting a fire. After that, he struggled with his health, but trips to Phoenix were great for him, so they ended up moving out there when we were in first grade.

It actually surprises me more people don't move out there. I bet the people around Houston and Austin who complain about their allergies would love it.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

To be clear, the move has helped with her symptoms. It will not mitigate or eliminate the underlying disease but it has ALREADY helped her quality of life, and mine. At the very least, we now have a couple hours a day more together than I had in Chicago (with my commute).

In Chiraq, she cant go out in the cold winter because she cant breathe ( Dec- March); in the summer, she cant breathe because its too humid (June-September); then there is allergy season where the cottonwoods seed the area (also impacting her breathing May-June).

That gives her April, October and November, rainy months. Im just hopeful that the NM climate will give her more time to do things she wants to do, year round.

Its is interesting, kind of crazy for a european like me, how you guys from the States are moving between States like it's the easiest thing in the world. I have many friends that moved from one part of the country to the opposite without thinking too much. Is it your "pioneer attitude"? Is it the fact that you still can have a job in another State? I don't know. We are trying to achieve that kind of mobility in Europe, but God knows all kinds of barriers still exist...BTW good luck in your new home and enjoy life
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Certainly my ability to find a job hastened or slowed the process down. My wife is on disability now, so work was not an issue for her. The big hurdle is the house: she handled that pretty effortlessly, but I won't consider myself "relocated" until that house in Chicago is sold.

I would be lying if I said a move like this didn't impact me. But other than my friends in Chicago, the rest of it is just "stuff". It'll be interesting to see how some of those relationships stand up to geography, but I've always considered myself lucky: I may not have a lot of Friends, but the ones I have I tend to keep, and they've been in my life for 40-some years. Now with social media, it's much easier to stay in touch. And unlike some of my friends who have relocated, I landed in a place that Chicagoans won't mind coming to, at least in the winter.

Pioneering attitude: I guess I have it (I was the first person I knew to go on the road; I don't shy away from new challenges). But this was really just a clear case of "it will be better for her" and there was no internal debate. Doing it as quickly as we did definitely contributed to that. I didn't give myself time to be melancholy or wistful about people I was leaving behind. The first day's drive....I was in my car, my wife was in her's, and that first day I didn't have any music or radio on in the car: THAT was when I let the gravity of all the changes sink in. And honestly, between cell phones and facebook, staying in touch will be easy. I have friends already making plans for next year to come visit, or have me meet them in Colorado (which is a shortish drive away).

I'm a lucky man.

Oh yeah, I looked at your location and that didn't help me, either. :D

Many of my very long time STL friends -musicians and others- are at the end of their rope, in regard to quality of life issues, after last year's long and brutal winter. Between the cold that stretches well into April and then quickly morphs into the humid summers, it seems like you only have May, maybe a week or two, at most, of June...and then Sept. & Oct., maybe a short time of Nov. of good weather.

When you're younger-20's , 30's - you just go with it. But when you hit your middle to late 40s , get into your '50s or early '60s...you start saying to yourself...why ?! ;)

We've often considered selling our place here, cashing in on the equity and paying cash for a nice place somewhere out in the St. Charles or Chesterfield area of STL.

Then reality sets in on how much my lifestyle (and my wife's) is centered around the outdoors with the running, biking, hiking and just everyday living. We just generally take this all for granted since we left STL for LA on 1/1/79.

I never say never, but it would be a huge adjustment. Especially at 61. Our main concern is just surviving financially in CA because of the steep cost of living expense, along with wondering of this whole state is going to turn into a dust bowl because of this prolonged drought.

Our long time across the street neighbors moved to Santa Fe about 3 years ago with some apprehension. They are native LA folks who both worked in the Hollywood studios their whole life. They recently had retired and were simply burned on what LA as turned into the past 20 years or so. We talk often and they ain't comin' back. :)

The older we get, the harder it gets to pick up and start over like you are doing. Brave man. That's a ton of stuff to consider with the house and finding employment. Good thing you have other marketable skills then someone like me... :/

My hat's off and I wish you and your wife the best. I think just being able to experience the outdoors and natural beauty of the area will be inspiring- both from a physical and mental health perspective. Hopefully in 10 years you can look back and say--wow , glad we did that back then as opposed to waiting till we were older. :)

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515

I'd heard for years that when it comes to health and 'quality of life' issues, family is first; and I agreed, in principle. Then came the reality of experiencing major changes based on that concept - over the course of 2013, and on into 2014. Letting the changes sink in was sobering. At first it seemed quite unreal that we were back in NW Indiana; but the adjustment is moving along well now. We're just completing a short 'break' in southern Indiana, and I've experienced nature and geography that I didn't know existed here - things that are equally inspiring to that which we experienced in Colorado. Today's short hike presented a few spots that were dicier than anything I tried out west :laugh:. Looking 10-12 years out, we're leaning toward a final location around Madison, IN - when my wife is able to take retirement.

Tony, you've done something good here. While making a change based on the well being of your wife is certainly the right choice, I also feel that the relocation will do a lot for you as well. From both talking to you, and seeing your observations of the commute and work in Chicago, it seemed time for you to do something different. Having done something similar a little over six years ago, I think making the west/southwest your home will be revitalizing.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Oh yeah, I looked at your location and that didn't help me, either. :D

He's changed so much already... :facepalm::D

In all seriousness, this is great news, Tony. I'm guessing your kids are already moved out? Best of luck in all you and your wife's future endeavours!

I ran away from home (Los Ageles) to Taos NM when I was a kid. Lived worked and skied there for a season, Time of my life, what a place to be. NM is a beautiful state and has some great places to visit and live, the sky scape, ah the sunsets, so colorful, good food and drink, hope you enjoy what life has to offer out there good luck.

RT

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Its is interesting, kind of crazy for a european like me, how you guys from the States are moving between States like it's the easiest thing in the world. I have many friends that moved from one part of the country to the opposite without thinking too much. Is it your "pioneer attitude"? Is it the fact that you still can have a job in another State? I don't know. We are trying to achieve that kind of mobility in Europe, but God knows all kinds of barriers still exist...BTW good luck in your new home and enjoy life

Well, I would think moving between states is easier than moving between countries. There is no language barrier, and although there are differing state laws, they are nothing compared to the differences in international laws.

Not minimising what you've done here Tony, just saying.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Well, I would think moving between states is easier than moving between countries. There is no language barrier, and although there are differing state laws, they are nothing compared to the differences in international laws.

Not minimising what you've done here Tony, just saying.

SSM

Well to me, barriers in Europe are mostly mental/cultural. I speak well english and french and i can travel inside the Schengen with just my ID, but you don't find welcoming feelings everywhere in Europe. Common language/culture (even from different ethnic backgrounds) is a blessing in USA. We, in the old continent, have a long road to cross...

Just my thoughts, did not mean to fo off topic.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

New Mexico is one of my favorite places, so to me this sounds like a brilliant move, and one I could see making some day, roundabout retirement age. No doubt there are fewer gigging opportunities v. Chicago, but that doesn't mean you can't find a decent niche. It just seems like a place where you have less of what the manufactured world has to offer, and are happier for it.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Brotha Tony, I wish you and your wife all the best in relocating to NM. Getting away from Chicago will be a breath of fresh air on many levels.

There is no doubt in my mind that once you all are settled in to life in NM, one way or another, you will find musical opportunities. Hang in there mayne. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Some pics from Tony's going away bash: Chris (Moonglow) and I with Tony.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/allanevett/TonysParty2_zps862a9234.jpeg

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/allanevett/TonysParty1_zpsf9af9c31.jpg

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I've had the privilege of knowing Tony for the past several years. Met him through this very forum, for which in and of itself, I am deeply thankful. I will always have fond memories of getting together with Tony, Dan (Redkey), and more recently Allan, and having our mini-shootouts with our latest gear, or going to hear each others' bands. Fun times. Speaking very selfishly, I'm going to miss the hell out of him, but wish him nothing but the best. They say behind every great man there is a great woman, and I certainly know this to be true in Kathleen. He's got his soul mate there, for whom no endeavor is too large. As I said when I briefly played with Tony's band at his party and echoed by one of his band mates, "Look out Albuquerque, you don't know what you're getting!"...and then when BeLinda (my wife) and I left, "Goodnight...but not goodbye." Rock on, brother.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived