Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hella Good - opening triplets.Roland FA-06 or step sequencer

CEB

[video:youtube]

I have a board with a step sequencer but I really do not want to take it out for one song.

Would this be something I should do on the FA's arpeggiator?

Is there a small hardware step sequencer that could do this? Maybe a Korg Monitribe or Volca?

Thanks.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use the FA sequencer and loop a measure with that riff.

We tried that song for a while, it didn't work for us. No crowd reaction and placing it in the middle of other dance songs would clear the floor.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I didn't realize the FA sequencer had a step mode. I guess I can record the 3 notes and select. 1/4 T notes.

yeah, that's how I did On the Run, stepped it in. Pretty easy.

For Hella, you could just play it once and the loop it. Probably easier than stepping it.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I can try playing it. I suck at sequencers. Sometimes you can tell where my loops end because I either don't understand quantizing or I just suck. I hate sequencers. I need a Sequencers For Dummies book.

My only sequencer I ever really liked was the one on my SH-101. LOL.

We tried that song for a while, it didn't work for us. No crowd reaction and placing it in the middle of other dance songs would clear the floor.

Tangent: Isn't it funny how though I love No Doubt's music to pieces, their songs always garner NO crowd reaction when covered?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Tangent: Isn't it funny how though I love No Doubt's music to pieces, their songs always garner NO crowd reaction when covered?

We do "It's My Life" and it gets a good reaction. Usually a 1st set song for us. But Hella got nothing and we thought it would work, and it didn't.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

We didn't expected Hella Good to go over. It is one of two old tunes we threw in the set to take up space. The other is Jump Around.

Hella Good is going over well hence the need to add the chugga chugga part since we are now keeping it in the set for a while. Since we are only doing new stuff maybe it is the song the older women know. We are targeting 21-35 year olds.

We open the 2nd set with it also. It goes over well about half the time depending on the sound / lights of the venue. The one I didn't expect was the song we follow it with "Raise Your Glass" - Pink.... They go nuts over it. I just do the chugga chugga on a track.
Roland Jupiter 80, Roland FA-08, Yamaha MOXF6, Nektar Impact LX61, Macbook Air

if anyones interested ive the sample isolated so that all you have to is apply it to a key (low C for me) and just keep your left hand tapping thru the song

PM me

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Those aren't triplets btw. 2 sixteenths and and eighth note.

If ever you're entering it into a step sequencer and you select eighth note triplets as you're subdivision it ain't gonna work. Sixteenth notes are what you're after.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Those aren't triplets btw.

Right. When I first read the post I thought, what's that about, there are no triplets in that song... ;-)

When I did this a while back, the guitarist played that part, which left my hands free for both of the main verse keyboard parts... one of which they don't play in the live version posted with the OP, and I think it sounds kind of empty without it. It's the kind of synthy-harpsichordy sound under, for example, the first two lines of the first verse, before the second keyboard part comes in on the third line.

[video:youtube]

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived