Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The SSS Hit song.

I've been mulling over this idea for a while. Do you guys(gals) think it would be fun to do a tune together? Since we all have different strengths and skills i thought it might be cool to "pass one around" so to speak. Here are my ideas so far as to how it might work; Now this could be a 4 or six month project, keep that in mind. First we need a song. So, we could take a poll as to what type of peice those who are interested in participating would like to work on. I would be more than willing to submit some rough drafts of things as i'm sure many here would. We could throw them on an FTP site somewhere and all share a password, or some one could host them on their site(any other ideas) I'm thinking, all we need to start, are the basic building blocks of a tune. ie the chords and melody of the verses and bridge.( if a standard type tune is chosen) The feel, start, end, and basic arrangment can change along the way. So once all the "players" and the tune are chosen, we put in for a convienent week that we would like to have the tune for, say between Feb 1st and May 31st (I think a week each would be good, cause it would motivate us to get what we want to get done, done, and not leave everyone waiting around for their turn) So say it started with, oh i don't know, Fletcher. Then it went to Dan South, then to 'Rold and on and on. Each person can do what ever they are capable of to improve the tune in their opinion. That means; writing new instument lines(bass, guitar,french horn..what ever). -Writing a new intro or build-up to the bridge or chorus. -Laying down solos. -Redoing the entire drum or vocal part. -Adding back ups, percusion, effects Etc Etc I think that if you are gonna lay some shit down you should mix it in the way you want it to sound in the final mix.(of coarse, someone might change it) It's gonna take a lot of balls to erase someone elses part and replace it with yours, but this is an exercise in working together.If you can make it better, go for it. We all have to agree that we are acting producers for the week we have the tune. We could have a log that is downloaded with the song each week, so we can see who did what.(Each person decribes the exact changes and additions/subtractions they made) Maby we could say that it is against the rules to erase all of one persons contibutions, Everyone has to have at least one contribution that stays, no matter what. What we could do to protect our general opinion as a group of the tune, is to have the person making changes post the tune when they are done with it, and everyone can have a listen to the changes before it is passed on. And if anyone is extremely against a change, we can discuss it. But i like the idea of giving everyone free reign. This will require schedule time but i think it is important In the end we'll have a monster hit on our hands, and we can all go buy a bunch of gear and beer with the proceeds and be happy and stuff. What do think? Any ideas, is anyone interested? [ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: halljams ]

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm... Sounds like an open source music production! :D I think it's a nice idea in theory, but I have this feeling that it would end up sounding like there were too many cooks in the kitchen. I mean, ultimately there would need to be one person who truly is the "producer". Otherwise, how will anybody know when it's done? It's tough enough to get everyone on the same page musically in a band situation -- I imagine it'd be even harder to make a number of production/engineering/musician people (with wildly different musical tastes/opinions) to agree on [i]anything[/i] since there would be no unifying vision. Not trying to rain on anybody's parade, it's just that I know I'd find it incredibly difficult to work on a project with so many "decision people". Of course, I'd be curious to hear how it might turn out... ;)

[quote]Originally posted by popmusic: [b]Hmmm... Sounds like an open source music production! :D I think it's a nice idea in theory, but I have this feeling that it would end up sounding like there were too many cooks in the kitchen. I mean, ultimately there would need to be one person who truly is the "producer". Otherwise, how will anybody know when it's done? It's tough enough to get everyone on the same page musically in a band situation -- I imagine it'd be even harder to make a number of production/engineering/musician people (with wildly different musical tastes/opinions) to agree on [i]anything[/i] since there would be no unifying vision. Not trying to rain on anybody's parade, it's just that I know I'd find it incredibly difficult to work on a project with so many "decision people". Of course, I'd be curious to hear how it might turn out... ;) [/b][/quote] I think you are missing the idea. The person with the tune 'is' the final decision maker for their time with the tune. If you have the tune and want to change something, no one can stop you, unless of coarse everyone agrees that it was too drastic. It's not a matter of being on the same page musically, that is the point! Each person works with what they are given. It goes through all these filters and comes out what ever it is. Too many cooks is the negative veiw. Sooo many spices is the positive. I think as far as a unifying vision, by deciding on a song style at the beginning it would pretty much take care of itself. If someone goes in another direction, it will add color and probly be resrained by the next person to get the tune, if not, the next, if not, what ever! The point of it all, is that it would be neat to see how it turned out. So are you in or out?

[quote]Originally posted by halljams: [b]The point of it all, is that it would be neat to see how it turned out. So are you in or out?[/b][/quote] Thanks for clarifying... I'm going to sit this one out, as I'm barely able to dedicate enough time in my studio to work on my own music, let alone an additional side project. I'll observe from afar, though... Good luck! :)

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure about the approach. I'd be up for something a little more organized, though, i.e. having someone say, "Hey Dan, how about a bass line/drum track/sound effect/lyric idea/etc. on this tune?" Let's mull it over and see if we can't come up with a workable approach. There's certainly more than enough talent here to pull off something nice, as long as it's focused. I'm not into a totally random approach, though.

I'd be cool with most of anything...I love round table approaches to working together on anything, though boundaries always have to get set to make keep the menial squabbles down to a minimum. Whatever way I can contribute, count me in - sounds like this kind of thing would be a blast.. :) As a forewarning, one issue I may have though is the business side of any of this. I've spent the last 6 years working on the business side of music, and I'd like to keep that and this as seperate as possible. Great idea though - could be a lot of fun.. :) Peace, Harold
meh

Archived