Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Banjo simulator?

skipclone 1

Hey guys

I have about had it with searching for an actual banjo player for a demo song. Either it`s going to be someone who will charge a fortune, or they don`t play the style I need. Is there a pedal out there that can get reasonably close to a banjo sound?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never heard a pedal that would simulate that sound. My old GR-1 guitar synth has a decent Banjo sound - not that I ever use it - and I thought at least one of the Line 6 Variax guitars had a Banjo sound built in.

Other than that, you might be able to rent or borrow one of those hybrid Guitar/Banjo things (6 strings, tuned like a guitar, but with a banjo head.) Good luck, and let us know what you turn up.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

An old friend of mine once took a thin piece of plastic that was relatively stiff (almost like a plastic ruler, but very thin, both in thickness and in width) and wove it among the strings right up against the bridge of his acoustic guitar. It gave the guitar a banjo-ish quality, making the attack bright but with almost no sustain. I want to say that one of the guys in Gomez did that for the song "How We Operate", but I could be wrong.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Hey guys

I have about had it with searching for an actual banjo player for a demo song. Either it`s going to be someone who will charge a fortune, or they don`t play the style I need. Is there a pedal out there that can get reasonably close to a banjo sound?

Synthesizers do very nice banjo simulations. I did a banjo track on one tune with a synth and keyboard controller once. I got'er done which is all that is important. So if you have a keys player in your group or as a friend, problem solved.

Hey guys

Synthesizers do very nice banjo simulations. I did a banjo track on one tune with a synth and keyboard controller once. I got'er done which is all that is important. So if you have a keys player in your group or as a friend, problem solved.

Yes, a lot easier learning one interface (keys) to produce unlimited sounds than to learn a bunch of varied interfaces (guitar, banjo, oboe, timpani ... you name it).

Yes, there are guitar MIDI controllers, but seeing as how most software is written for keyboard controllers I think you're better off with that instead.

[edit: why not "walk on over" to the keyboard corner and ask if someone has banjo in their sound library and wouldn't mind recording something for you?]

That`s good idea-I can do some easy keyboard things but this would definitely be way past my ability. It would be something like `The Beverly Hillbillies` theme, or The Eagles song `Take It Easy`, that kind of feel. I think it would even be hard for the average keyboard player, maybe sequencing could do it.

EDIT: on the other hand, I might be able to pull it off as a simple repeating riff. The tempo`s pretty fast but I think I can do it, worth a try.

Hello from the keyboard corner :wave:

Almost every modern keyboard has banjo sounds. The key in trying to replicate these types of instruments on keyboard comes down to playing the correct voicings of the original instrument. For instance, trying to sound like a guitar on keys usually sounds like ass even if the sample is spot on. If you voice it correctly like it would be played on a real guitar, and try to play the chord as if it were being strummed, it can get pretty close, but still kisses a lot of the nuances. But yes, nearly any keyboard player friend of yours ought to be able to create the sound.

I played in a band for a while with a guitar player who had a variax. We did Come On Eileen and he did a very convincing banjo on the variax.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Thanks J. Dan

This is one song, there`s no way I`m going to buy a variax.

I know what you mean-there have been some keys players-great talents all-who have tried to do guitar licks on keys. Jan Hammer and Jordan Rudess come to mind. I`ve never been sold on any of them, it just doesn`t have the same nuances.

Anyway the studio I have in mind has a Korg Triton, I printed out the manual to save time. Hopefully I didn`t throw it out after my last session. The part is already set, I could probably get away with a two finger per hand version. It doesn`t require chords, the acoustic guitar is holding that down.

I didn't think you would be buying a Variax Skip, but it's one way of getting a banjo sound. I think I would just hire a banjo player for an hour or two, as opposed to faking it...

Well that`s what I said at the top-I`ve been trying to do that and haven`t had any success. I`ve gone to musician exchanges online, checked classifieds and asked several players I know-either they don`t play the right style-they tell me I need a five-string banjo player-or in one case I found Ron Ely`s home page. I`ve heard of him, but I`m not going to hire him just to play on a demo.

Does the studio have someone who can play the part? Triton's got an ok banjo.

If it's not too involved, PM me. My Kronos has good banjo and I could lay down a part for you as long as you lock down the tempo so you can fly it in.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

No, studio is instruments only-it`s a project-level place but they do good work. I`m connected with a proper studio but they would be overkill for this job.

That`s way kool J.Dan, thanks-yeah it`s programmed drums so it should be consistent. I don`t recall the numerical tempo offhand but could give you a close idea, and the note values. Back to you shortly.

Archived