Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Moving to University

Asa

Hello everyone,

Just moved into uni studying Creative Music Technology - got assigned to a shared room in halls, so not much room for keyboard gear!

It looks like I'm the only dedicated keyboardist on my course so hopefully I'll get some requests to play - I really do enjoy playing in a range of styles so there's potential for some nice jams. Most of the other people on the course are also musicians but I was surprised at how many fellow Pink Floyd fans there were - a complete cover of DSOTM is definitely on my to-do list whilst I'm here :keys:

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post, I'll finish here with this picture of my (quite literal) keyboard corner :)

http://i.imgur.com/b94RsPVl.jpg

Gear feeds the soul.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool mini rig!

Good luck with your studies - where are you at, by the way?

Oh to be at university again...great memories!

Cheers,

James

x

Thanks

I'm at Falmouth uni, down in the south-west of the UK :)

Gear feeds the soul.

Yup, make sure all your equipment is insured. Don't even think about chancing it. When I was a music student, a few people had their stuff nicked. A benefit had to be raised for one guy (saxophones aren't cheap).

Best of luck with your studies.

Nice, goes without saying but make sure you lock that door and keep that moog out of view of the window! You're in halls, I'm assuming?

Yep, in halls. Our flat is on the top floor so nobody can see in through the window :)

Yup, make sure all your equipment is insured.

Actually haven't done this yet, will do right away - if I join the Musician's Union (it's £20 for students) it'll be covered right?

Gear feeds the soul.

Yup, make sure all your equipment is insured.

Actually haven't done this yet, will do right away - if I join the Musician's Union (it's £20 for students) it'll be covered right?

Always make sure you're insured, even if it's never leaving the studio! I'm sure most of us have uninsured gear horror stories. I believe MU membership gives you £2k of gear coverage.

MU insurance is limited, although it might be exactly what you need. However, if you're not gigging (or doing gigs that don't require MU membership) you might not want the expense of joining. If you go along to a private insurance broker they'll find you a cheap deal that will cover your needs (be really specific about what your requirements are). There's always a small firm operating somewhere in a town...search online.

Seriously, don't leave yourself exposed, no matter how secure you think your accommodation is. When I was studying a whole block of students got cleaned out by the caretaker. He waited till everyone was on half-term so the place was empty, cleaned out all the rooms and did a runner. It's not just musical equipment you need to think about (which is why I'd still plump for the insurance broker).

Have a blast, man. :thu: I'm in my third year of a B.Mus right now and I can't even fathom the effect it's had on me. Wish I had more recordings of what I sounded like back then.

If you walk that fine line of practicing really, really hard and making real-world connections, you can hit the ground running after graduating. Keep your head down and your ears perked up! :cool::wave:

Also, I concur on the cool mini-rig. :thu:

Archived