Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard mixer recommendations

richforman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use the Samson because I am a cheap *******. It is functional and does the job. But the Ashley is better. It kicks Samson's butt.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Unfortunately, there is usually not enough information as to how they were tested and other information to make the specifications meaningful. If we knew that they were all tested the same way with the same criteria, then yes, you could compare frequency response, signal to noise ratio (S/N), total harmonic distortion (THD), inter modulation (IMD) distortion, CMMR - common mode rejection ratio, and possibly others. But this not only assumes my already listed criteria, but also that you would understand all of these specifications.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

For gigs, I used (and abused) a Behringer 802 for about 7 - 8 years before the external supply began to crap out on on me about 4 years ago. Replacing one was almost as expensive as a new unit so I switched to an Alesis Multimix 8 I picked up on the cheap, which I'm currently using. Before the Behringer, I used an old Shure 5 (or 6?) channel line mixer. I'm a cheap bastard, and besides for most noisy low-brow live band mixes I'm involved with, pristine sound quality is overkill.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

For gigs, I used (and abused) a Behringer 802 for about 7 - 8 years before the external supply began to crap out on on me about 4 years ago. Replacing one was almost as expensive as a new unit so I switched to an Alesis Multimix 8 I picked up on the cheap, which I'm currently using. Before the Behringer, I used an old Shure 5 (or 6?) channel line mixer. I'm a cheap bastard, and besides for most noisy low-brow live band mixes I'm involved with, pristine sound quality is overkill.

Yeah well can anyone brag about the abuse my Mackie vlz1202 took the first time I took it out? Full stage dive, right on the knobs, from about five feet up. On stage. Live. Didn't even bother picking it up until we were done with our little 45 minute rock-club "showcase" thing (the kind where there are like eight bands and you get paid in scrip tickets for beer).

Obviously that particular Mackie is too big to be considered a compact mixer for the OP, but jeez! I learned years later that Mackie actually designs them that way, so if they fall face down the pots don't break the circuit board(s).

All right, that's my one and only "Quint from *Jaws*"-style contribution to this thread.

I think there might have been alcohol involved in the story above as well.

I may just be able to beat that.

I used my original 1202 on a broadcast remote at a PGA Golf Tournament back in the late 90's. We took a lightning strike on the press tent and the power surge blew out almost all of the gear that plugged in to one circuit. That Mackie was the only piece unaffected.

And I'm still using it 16 years later...

Unbelievable build quality on those early Mackies.

Unbelievable build quality on those early Mackies.

Mackie still maintains that tradition, and is quite proud of it. Check out what happens at 0:50 in this video:

[video:youtube]

One of the funniest product demos I've come across.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Archived