Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1 year of gigs with the Gruv Gear V cart Solo XL:: Pros/Cons

Bobadohshe

I got my Gruv Gear V cart Solo with the XL attachement at the beginning of the year. Since then I've done about 200 gigs with this beast and I thought I would offer my thoughts on it.

Overall the V cart has been a killer piece of gear. It has been rugged and durable and an invaluable tool for load ins over long distances through parking garages and hotel kitchens and grass for outdoor festivals.

My biggest issue initially was figuring out how to load it as I have a two tiered set up so I need to haul 2 boards. Getting everything in one trip was really the only option. Some of these load ins would be prohibitive of multiple trips. After weeks of trial and error I found out the most stable way to load it is that pictured below. This setup might look unstable but is actually pretty solid and I've logged miles on this cart dragging gear in that configuration.

But now I face a dilemma. I want to get a new stand, and I want to add a small rack. These things won't fit on the cart. I am strongly considering Gruv Gear's Muver 6 cart, but there is an issue. My CP4 is 52.5" and the Muver is 52". I wonder if I can tilt it on so that it's stable enough. I really want to check out the Muver 6 with my gear before I buy one but I have no way of doing it as it's not a common item. And $350 is too much just for a leap of faith.

I don't suppose anyone has laid their hands on one of these elusive carts have they?

http://bobbycressey.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Gruv-Gear-Cart.jpg

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't know, but why not come up here and try one out? From what I hear the GruvGear guys are pretty flexible and accommodating.

Oh, and if you take the plunge, I'd be interested in helping you dispose off that V Solo XL :)

PS: where do you put the music stand? I can't see it on the photo.

Bobby,

In another thread you asked how I stood up my gear on my cart. Below is a photo. This may or may not help, depending if you think you can safely stand your keyboards like this.

14632592617_850f4c580d_b.jpgUntitled by Joe Stone Zone, on Flickr

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I wouldn't know, but why not come up here and try one out? From what I hear the GruvGear guys are pretty flexible and accommodating.

I've asked them twice and have not heard back from them. They are awesome about answering E-mails about my Stadium bag and helping with a warranty issue there - but they haven't responded to my request to come try out a Muver 6. Not yet anyway, I just asked a day or two ago.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

where do you put the music stand? I can't see it on the photo.

I usually don't need one. If I do (for a reading gig) then I'll either take the Manhasset apart and cram the 2 parts in various places. Or I'll just hold it with one hand while I drag the cart with the other.

In another thread you asked how I stood up my gear on my cart. Below is a photo. This may or may not help, depending if you think you can safely stand your keyboards like this.

I have considered this but I don't think my boards will be stable enough with that configuration. I should actually try it out again to make sure.

I have considered this but I don't think my boards will be stable enough with that configuration. I should actually try it out again to make sure.

Note that I strap the stuff to the vertical part of the cart, and I also have a board (piece of wood) in the bottom of the cart to help prevent tipping. In early days of doing this, sometimes the keyboards would tip and slip into the gap of the bottom of the cart. The board gives them nowhere to go.

Since my keyboards are light (PX-5S and/or Electro), the higher center of gravity isn't a problem. It may be for heavier keyboards.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived