Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your favorite group configuration?

cgiles

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After my experience of the last ten year, it's very hard for me to play in a band where not everyone can sing.

I love lush vocal harmonies.

For rock, I like Keys, Guitar, Bass, Drums.

For Funk, I like two keys players, horns, a couple guitars, bass and drums... maybe a percussion player as well.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Right now I play in various groups:

I play orchestral keys (string bass, strings, ect.), as well as piano in a 40-50 piece Concert Band

Piano/keys in a Jazz Band (15-20 players in all)

As well as playing all keyboard parts in a Rock/cover group - lots of parts to cover, and I'd love another keyboard player, but the grass always seems to be greener...

All of them are great gigs, and love experimenting with sounds!

My playing style always fit in well with a keys/bass/guitar/drum combo. That way I'm not stepping on the rhythm guitarist.

A female vocalist and sax player are bonuses.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

After my experience of the last ten year, it's very hard for me to play in a band where not everyone can sing.

I love lush vocal harmonies.

For rock, I like Keys, Guitar, Bass, Drums.

For Funk, I like two keys players, horns, a couple guitars, bass and drums... maybe a percussion player as well.

+1

It is nice to play in a band where several players double on vocals. Nothing beats having those harmonies.

As much as a power trio or Drum/Bass/Guit/Key quartet saves on the pocketbook, I sure would love to have a group with Drums, bass, guitar and two keys. If the 2nd key player doubled on something (guitar, horn, percussion), that would be gravy.

I'm searching for that elusive female keyboard player who doubles on something else and sings.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I try to avoid combos with >1 guitarist and any guitar player who favors that high gain overdrive that smothers the spectrum. I'm playing piano/guitar in a Skynyrd cover band but the guitar players are conscious of making space for the piano which is rare to come by. My other band is a jazz band at work piano/drums/bass/trumpet.

In the country band I play in it's:

Guitar

Bass/vocals

Keyboards/ vocals

Drums

In the classic rock band it's:

Guitar/vocals

Bass

Keyboards/vocals

Drums/vocals

Singer

My favorite lineup for a band that I played with in the past:

Guitar/Bass/vocals

Lead guitar/bass/vocals

Keyboard/guitar/bass/vocals

Keyboard/guitar/vocals

Drums

Lot of versatility in that band as we swapped up to do whatever genre of music we wanted to.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

Thats a great question..Im in South Fl..anything goes here, so there are sometimes surprises aplenty. Solo, to any config up to big band. Im fortunate in that all the calls I get are jazz things. Whether its "cocktal jazz","show jazz" or out n out playing depends, most are out n out. So its hard to answer as I enjoy different configs depending on the players. I really like sax quartets plus percussionist..or trumpet/sax quint..or add a killer vocalist..or 3 horns, vox plus perc, or..trio, or duo..shoot I dont care, I just love to play. I adjust myself

to different situations n have fun.

Do you run into a lot of U of Miami players gigging around town(s)? They have a very good music department.

And I find they are not as thuggish as their football brethren. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/smilies/icon_wink.gif

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Archived