Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using Apollo with Live Rig

drohm

I used my UAD Apollo interface at a gig the other night. This was the first time using it live, since I usually only use it in the studio. At first, I did not think it would be worth it, but it turned out to be very nice. Not only could I send the main outputs to the FOH, but I used another set of channels to send to my K10 monitors. This gave me a separate fader for my monitors so no external mixer was needed. I used the RE201 and Fairchild 670 plugins in the real-time console. Both Nords were routed stereo into the Apollo 1-4 preamps which gave me plenty out gain options. I had a lot of flexibility for adjusting tone, and I thought is sounded great. Another motivation for the change is so that I can access software instruments/samplers in the future.

Is anyone else using an Apollo live? I was pleased with how it worked out.

http://www.wavepackets.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/IMG_1043-1024x764.jpg

http://www.wavepackets.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/IMG_1104.jpg

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to hear, Wave Packets!

I will be integrating an Apollo Twin into my live rig in about a month.

Can you give further specs:

What Mac Book Pro are you using?

What is your Daw host?

What kind of latency are you getting?

Thanks in Advance!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

jimkost2002 - I have the 8 channel apollo without the thunderbolt card. I am using a mid 2009 macbook pro with 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 RAM, OSX 10.9.4, 17 inch display. I was not using a DAW, just the UAD console. I don't know the latency values, but there was absolutely no perceivable latency. It was just like playing straight out of the Nords.

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

Analogaddict - I mainly had the computer along so I could adjust volume on the aux outputs to my stage monitors. It would be cool if UAD allowed you to setup the desired plugins, unplug the computer (leave it at home) and use the interface with full volume control over each channel using a volume knob selector. It would be the best mixer with effects. Of course, it is nice to see the console display.

I was actually comparing today (not in a scientific way!) running a few synths through the UAD console while also plugging straight into a Mackie VLZ 1202. I couldn't really hear any latency, even with added effects. But - this was not a scientific approach, I just went back and forth and tried them simultaneously. No perceptable difference.

Doubt you'll get any latency with DSP. V instruments will be a another story and depend on the interface portion, drivers, instruments and mac or PC's ability

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I wasn't familiar with this, so I looked it up.

Know what would be cool? Hook it up at home and load it up with plugins, then if they had just the control panel as an App for iPad so you could use the iPad as a control surface for it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Analogaddict - I mainly had the computer along so I could adjust volume on the aux outputs to my stage monitors. It would be cool if UAD allowed you to setup the desired plugins, unplug the computer (leave it at home) and use the interface with full volume control over each channel using a volume knob selector. It would be the best mixer with effects. Of course, it is nice to see the console display.

I wasn't familiar with this, so I looked it up.

Know what would be cool? Hook it up at home and load it up with plugins, then if they had just the control panel as an App for iPad so you could use the iPad as a control surface for it.

The only major problem is connectivity - is there an iPad->FireWire 800 interface..?

The Apollo I looked at had a lightning connector, which my iPad Air has.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Well, the Apollos appear to have great specs, but remember, it is still digital so it requires a reconstruction filter at the DA converter side, which either has delay (the more the better) or doesn't work perfect, and probably the effects do no sound the same as the originals, no matter the claims of the manufacturer.

I'd find it more logical to work with an analog mixer live, preferably with some cool way of adjusting it, and of course besides that have the option of digital effects of some kind.

T.

I won't comment on the analog mixer with digital FX vs. digital apollo suggestion. Oh wait...I just did.

In general, the apollo may not be the best choice for a live setup since there are probably a lot of other options. However, if I was running mainstage with samplers and soft synths on a regular basis, I might consider using it as the interface. I really like how some of the plugins shape the tone on keyboards. For a quick setup at the typical gig, a small cheap mixer with an extra stereo monitor out will work great. It is sure fun to experiment.

Archived