Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Springsteen "Born To Run" sax part

stoken6

This is not even a bit keyboard oriented, but some of you forumites have golden ears and I'd appreciate your help. We're introducing "Born To Run" into our set, and of course as the keyboard player it's my job to arrange and orchestrate.

There's obviously a sax in the intro but what's it playing? It's not doubling the signature riff (played by a tremolo guitar and glock), but is it playing chord roots in a low register? Sustaining a pedal E across all four bars?

Help much appreciated, of course.

Cheers, Mike.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is not even a bit keyboard oriented, but some of you forumites have golden ears and I'd appreciate your help. We're introducing "Born To Run" into our set, and of course as the keyboard player it's my job to arrange and orchestrate.

Cheers, Mike.

of course it is, but can't the sax player figure out his/her own part? :idk

:nopity:

There's obviously a sax in the intro but what's it playing? It's not doubling the signature riff (played by a tremolo guitar and glock), but is it playing chord roots in a low register? Sustaining a pedal E across all four bars?

Cheers, Mike.

You're up against problems with that song.

Forget about the sax stuff at the beginning and play hard on the piano , then @ 2:12 you really need a REAL sax player to do that big solo.

Just give it heaps on the piano , and if you can pull that big sax solo off on the keys - you're a genius!:).

Brett

I bet Jordan Rudess could :).

Brett

OK, well maybe. I first met Jordan at a gig he was doing in 1977 after he dropped out of Julliard so I am a little biased towards him . It's not his style but yes he could get very close. It still shouldn't be done on a keyboard.

:nopity:

We're introducing "Born To Run" into our set, and of course as the keyboard player it's my job to arrange and orchestrate. There's obviously a sax in the intro but what's it playing?

Have the sax player wave his sax around in the air like Clarence Clemons? I dunno - in your video link that's what's going on right there.

I didn't check the original, but if there's a sax part in the intro it can't be much. Bruce Springsteen certainly didn't mind if Clarence didn't play it live.

Just out of curiosity is anyone still playing Born To Run in clubs? IME rock anthems of this type have not worn their welcome well. Just wondering what everyone's experiences are - if any.

"Born to Run" still works great for New Jersey (and some New York City) club gigs. We often get 20-somethings requesting Springsteen. Other big favorites we play regularly are "Thunder Road" and "Rosalita". Reluctantly, I do play that Sax solo on keys using a Sax sound. Sometimes you do what the band leader pays you to do. I do practice playing Sax at home but so far am not ready to take it to the stage.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Hello all,

A few apologies on my part:

1. Studio version

(we are working from this version, I rushed yesterday and linked to a live version)

2. I'm not attempting to play the sax part on keys - we have a sax player, who's ideally suited to this style/approach of playing

3. Neither he nor I can quite figure out what's going on in the intro!

Cheers, Mike.

Very simple part.

B, held over the first 2 bars

E, held over the next 2 bars

B, held over the next 2 bars

E, held over the last 2 bars

Better ears than me! So sax is playing the 5th degree of the E and A chords, and the 4th degree of the B chord.

Will give that a go, thanks Sven.

Regards, Mike.

Not what theOP is looking for but You could get away with a keyboard "sax" on the intro as it is somewhat buried in Bruce's "wall of sound." The solo, however, would be tough. There is a recent thread here on playing sax on keyboards....maybe some of those techniques mentioned could be passable.

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

I have problems with one keyboard player bands trying to pull of Springsteen tunes. It usually takes two because you cant get the body of the song to sound the same so it actually works against you. It sounds Hollow and thin. Getting two people to play together to get that sound without stepping on each other keyboard wise takes a ton of work. Clarence was a monster and that is something that cant just be reproduced. Even sax players have a hard time getting is sound. Also dont forget with Born to Run there are at least 12 guitar tracks, strings, two sax parts, Celeste, Hammond , Grand Piano thrown in. Even live when Bruce does this it sounds thin and its always a closer but just comes off weird to me.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

We play this, I am the only keyboard player. It's a crap load of work, and it will never sound like the studio track. I'm constantly flipping between organ, glock, and piano. Having a sax player would be a nice addition, we do the solo on guitar.

I forget if the studio track has sax on the part that goes "beyond the something of the hemi-powered drones" but I would certainly add some there. I play the glock part with my right hand, and play root-five chords on the organ (0088840002 chorale) with my left and it's still pretty empty. The chromatic scale part is even emptier, I play it on organ + glock in unison. Would love to figure out how to fatten that up.

People like it, though.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

It is but very empty live even for him. That kind of kills it for me but remember this was a heavily stacked studio track. I just lost my other keyboard player and the song list is a bitch. Just and FYI Dan played a lot of Celeste (Glock) parts left handed and organ right handed as long as Roy played the same line..sometimes that was the case and sometimes not. Certain tunes like Independence Day Roy played the line also. This is an old version but later on the intro was done on organ instead on the River Album. Look here at the 5:19 point:

[video:youtube]

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I would be learning the studio version, not a live version which you linked to.
Well, that's more of a hybrid version. It's live plus lotsa studio work, I'm pretty darn sure. But yeah, the original studio would be a little easier to work with.

The Independence Day track above sounds pure live. It's a case where the trusty CP70 really shines. That said, I sure don't miss mine!

if you can pull that big sax solo off on the keys - you're a genius!:).

Brett

no one can pull off that sax solo on a keyboard. Don't even try. :cop:

Meh. I used to play it, in the early 1980s. I was only limited by the synth emulation, not the actual solo.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

In New Jersey it's still a good song to know and do. We get lot's of Springsteen requests but keep it to 10th Ave and Born to Run.

It's very hard to get the full wall of sound that's on the CD, and cover each and every part. We do it with Bass, Drums, 2 guitars and myself on keys.

The lead guitar player does a credible version of the sax solo... apologies to The Big Man.

I play the organ parts on an Electro 3 + Vent

And I have the Glock layered to the Acoustic Piano part and its controlled with Expression pedal (Nord Stage 2) so I can bring it in when called for.

It's a bitch to cover those keyboard parts and I'm singing it also so for me it's probably the trickiest tune we cover.

I might add it's also one of the most fun and gets a great reaction so I don't see us ditching it anytime soon.

FWIW they also wanted me to cover the sax solo on the keys. I believe my answer was "are you insane"? lol

Good luck

I would be learning the studio version, not a live version which you linked to.
Well, that's more of a hybrid version. It's live plus lotsa studio work, I'm pretty darn sure. But yeah, the original studio would be a little easier to work with.

The Independence Day track above sounds pure live. It's a case where the trusty CP70 really shines. That said, I sure don't miss mine!

Not a CP70. Roy never used one.

noblevibes.com

if you can pull that big sax solo off on the keys - you're a genius!:).

Brett

no one can pull off that sax solo on a keyboard. Don't even try. :cop:

Meh. I used to play it, in the early 1980s. I was only limited by the synth emulation, not the actual solo.

Most people would nail it , but the synth sax EMULATION is THE problem :) .

The opening sax on keys would be a piece of cake - plus the fact that you can hardly hear it buried in the noise helps :) .

(maybe not most people:))

Brett

Very simple part.

B, held over the first 2 bars

E, held over the next 2 bars

B, held over the next 2 bars

E, held over the last 2 bars

Better ears than me! So sax is playing the 5th degree of the E and A chords, and the 4th degree of the B chord.

Will give that a go, thanks Sven.

Regards, Mike.

There's more than one sax in that song. I hear a tenor and a bari sax.

Just took another listen (the first post above was after listening through laptop speakers, where the tenor just jumped out more than usual).

I'm also hearing two parts now, which seem to frame the chord changes (root+5)... but if arranging for a single sax, I'd play:

|B3          |           |A2          |B2           |
|B3          |           |E2          |F#2          |

(using the numbers to indicate the octaves, so the pattern is B for 2 bars, then the A an octave below for one bar, then the B a tone up from that for a bar, then the first B again for 2 bars, the E below for 1 bar, then the F# above that...

Give that a listen and let me know what you think.

I played this before with just one keyboard player (me) who was also playing sax (real sax). It was a long time ago and I don't recall exactly what parts I picked out for which sections of the song, but I do know that while I was playing keys I had sax layered in for some of the parts, and I switched between keys parts throughout the song to always cover the parts that seemed to be the most prominent. Only problem was all the keys dropping out while I played the sax solo since I couldn't do both at the same time.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Most people would nail it , but the synth sax EMULATION is THE problem :) .

The opening sax on keys would be a piece of cake - plus the fact that you can hardly hear it buried in the noise helps :) .

(maybe not most people:))

Brett

If memory serves, I either played it on a Roland Juno 6 (not 60) or a Crumar DS2.

I could really care less whether it sounds like a sax, though. I'm a musician, not some damned jukebox. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/smilies/smile.gif

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 1 month later...

I'm also hearing two parts now, which seem to frame the chord changes (root+5)... but if arranging for a single sax, I'd play:

|B3          |           |A2          |B2           |
|B3          |           |E2          |F#2          |

(using the numbers to indicate the octaves, so the pattern is B for 2 bars, then the A an octave below for one bar, then the B a tone up from that for a bar, then the first B again for 2 bars, the E below for 1 bar, then the F# above that...

Give that a listen and let me know what you think.

Just as this thread takes its final gasp, I want to thank you Sven for your contribution. :thu:

We finally got the whole band down to the rehearsal studio and played, all together, at volume. It sounds good. If anything the sax is too loud - need to persuade him to get at least 6ft away from his mic, during the intro at least. (Apparently those low tenor notes are hard to hit quietly)

Cheers, Mike.

Archived