Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil hardware: K2600 to K2500 SCSI

Tom Williams

I have a K2500R and a K2600. The K2500R has a hard disk. Both have DB25-F SCSI connectors.

Does anyone here know what I need (what pins to pins, or better yet what cable to buy) to connect them so the K2600 can save or load to/from the K2500R's disk? That may be easier -- and more reliable in the long run -- than Floppies.

Or, does ennybuddy know that it's not doable?

So far, web info on DB25 SCSI has been rare and Mac-centric.

Backplot: I've been in IT long enough to have crimped my own serial cables and adapters, and I still have tools for same. That said, I'm old-and-lazy enough to generally prefer purchasing cables if they're reasonably priced.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Technically its possible for both devices to share a drive. You have to make sure that each of them are using a unique SCSI ID#, which of course is different than the drive number. You'll also have to make sure that you have SCSI termination set up properly.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Get in touch with Kurz support.

I believe their support manager Jean has a list of vendors that might still sell the SCSI cable you need.

http://kurzweil.com/support/operational/

You also might want to consider a SCSI ZIP drive if you're using these units a lot.

Should be easy enough to transfer files from the 2500's HD to the 2600.

Technically its possible for both devices to share a drive. You have to make sure that each of them are using a unique SCSI ID#, which of course is different than the drive number. You'll also have to make sure that you have SCSI termination set up properly.

I understand he wants his K2600 getting access to the K2500´s internal SCSI drive for read/write.

Both have DB25 female SCSI connectors which is old MAC PPC system cable standard I think.

But such cable w/ 2 male connectors doesn´t exist.

I´m using these Mac system cables w/ DB25male on one end and Centronics-50 on the other and there are Centronics 50 adapters (looking like terminator plugs) existing connecting 2 of these cables which might work.

I don´t know how K2500 and K2600 handle SCSI IDs and whether the K2500´s internal drive has it´s own SCSI ID in addition or not.

A.C.

Each controller (K2500 & K2600) takes a SCSI ID, each hard drive takes an ID, there are only eight IDs available. Both Kurzweils use a DB25 connector - any cable which has all 25 wires going through will work. Many cables using that termination are designed for printers, and frequently do not have all wires going through.

If the only thing that will ever be done here is to READ the 2500's hard drive and open it with the 2600, it can work OK. However, if ANY drive writing is done by either Kurzweil, the other Kurzweil will not be aware that the file system on the drive has changed (unless shut down and brought back up). This is likely to cause drive corruption. One Kurzweil will write to an area of the hard drive that it thinks is clear, while it actually has been changed by the other.

Largest problem is that both Kurzweils by default use the same controller ID. I don't remember if the controller ID can be changed or not. Two devices on the same SCSI buss CANNOT use the same ID.

OP - you will be much better off to obtain an external SCSI hard drive and copy all the files from the 2500's internal drive to the external drive. Then disconnect from the 2500 and connect to the 2600.

I have a 4G and 9G external drive and housing, with cabling that work on the 2000-2600 series. Also have a 9G drive by itself. None of these are in use presently. If interested, PM.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

You can change the SCSI self-ID on a K2500 and 2600. The default self SCSI ID for these units is 6. I believe this is done on the "MIDI- Receive" page.

I have done what you're describing, but only in emergencies when I had to load a K2xx keyboard and the only available drive was installed in another K2xx keyboard. I would not recommend this as a long-term strategy.

I suggest having both keyboards powered off when you connect the SCSI cable. All it takes is one static spark when connecting powered on units and you can destroy the keyboard's SCSI bus and not be able to load anything.

There are often Kurzweil compatible SCSI compact flash drives available on ebay, I recommend getting one of those for the long term.

Both Kurzweils use a DB25 connector - any cable which has all 25 wires going through will work.

The problem is, both Kurzweils have FEMALE connectors !

There´s no SubD25 cable w/ 2 male connectors out there,- except you make your own. That´s why I mentioned the MAC cables. I have some of these here for such purposes because I sometimes deal w/ my old SCSI drives, sample libraries and computers of all kind transfering the stuff.

Many cables using that termination are designed for printers, and frequently do not have all wires going through.

Correct, printer cables won´t work.

Mac cables do, these you use to connect ZIP drives to a old Mac.

They have 25pin Sub D male on one end and 50pin Centronics on the other and that´s what works for most external SCSI drives, HDD, MOD, ZIP, Jazz, CD-ROM, Syquest removable media,- Synthax Syndrives, Hybrid Arts and Syntec 19" drives included.

Largest problem is that both Kurzweils by default use the same controller ID.

That´s exactly what I know from my AKAI samplers too.

No 2 AKAI samplers in a SCSI chain possible.

OP - you will be much better off to obtain an external SCSI hard drive and copy all the files from the 2500's internal drive to the external drive. Then disconnect from the 2500 and connect to the 2600.

That´s the best way.

A.C.

A SCSI ZIP drive would also work for connecting both units.

Plus it gives you a way (via USB ZIP drive) to backup your files to a computer.

This is what I use on all of my theater shows that still use K26.

(Totally forgot about the need for an external drive when I first saw this thread!)

A SCSI ZIP drive would also work for connecting both units.

Plus it gives you a way (via USB ZIP drive) to backup your files to a computer.

This is what I use on all of my theater shows that still use K26.

(Totally forgot about the need for an external drive when I first saw this thread!)

Well, I´ve looked at my Iomega SCSI ZIP drive and recognized it has 2 female SUB-D25 connectors too.

Then I went thru my cables and recognized I was partially wrong in my posts above...

I´ve found double-male connector SUB-D25 cables !

I couldn´t believe where I found ´em,- they are part of my old Digidesign Soundtools system for ATARI ST (probably also MAC),- connecting the accellerator card w/ the converters.

So, these cables exist and are the solution to connect both the K2500 and K2600 and/or ZIP drives in between.

You´re the man, Dave !

But I have no idea where to buy such cables today.

A.C.

Cables On Demand lists them both M-F and M-M, various lengths from 2.5 to 50 feet.

DigiKey also lists them, and I think Mouser lists them (I didn't scroll through all nine pages of listings).

Amazon lists them (the Amazon listing is from Cables On Demand).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived