Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My New Guitar!

02R96

Last week I bought one of these...

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae32/02R96/GibsonLPTealBlue.jpg

It's a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro. I bought it through Sweetwater, and they did a great job setting it up. I had it restrung with Dean Markley Helix 10-46's (my personal favorite). The pickups are a 57 Classic in the neck, and a Burstbucker Pro at the bridge, and it sounds sweet. The color is Teal Blue Candy.

The only mods I need to do are strap locks (done), and locking tuners. After years of buying used guitars and "project" guitars, I decided I wanted one that was complete right out of the box. And, the Studio Pro was a Gibson that I could actually afford. Overall, it's the most playable guitar I've ever owned. The action is so low, I actually have to rethink the way I play some songs as I find myself tripping over my fingers! Not a bad problem LOL...

:cheers:

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice choice, I really dig the color. I have a Studio I bought new in 1993...I'll never sell it.

Buying new, the Studio is the way to go, imho, as I really feel the Standards on up are way overpriced. And I prefer the stripped down look since "you can't hear pretty".

Grats and enjoy!

:rawk:

My ears are haunted.

That is just freakin nice. I`ve seen them on the shelves, if I ever sold my Edwards LP-I`ve been considering it-those would be a good go-to for a replacement.

Everything that`s good is under the hood, play it live and still take it home. I like that.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

The only thing I'm not impressed with is the coil splitting. The sound is very odd to my ears. My Schecter sounds WAY better split; it actually sounds like single coils. But it has EMG active pickups, so it's not really a good comparison. When split, the Les Paul has a real lackluster tone.

But it's all good. I just won't be using that feature on the LP. :thu:

Dan

I got coil splitting on my Ibanez RG321, on one between sound, it sounds Stratish between rear and middle on a strat, and on full pickup at either end it rocks. The only setting I never use is both buckers on full at the same time, and both buckers in series. So I have 3 very nice essential sounds, front full up, rear full up, and the between stratish sound. It gives me every sound I like. It only has 2 humbuckers but those guys over there figured out how to get 5 different sounds out of it.

I can't HELP it.....they always looked like the "budget" line of Les Paul's..."For those who can't afford the REAL thing....Same great sound, but reasonably priced!"

I never played one, so I couldn't judge them in that area. and the one pictured in the OP does look nice...I've ALWAYS been a sucker for BLUE.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I have always liked the LP Standard, but the prices on Gibsons (and other guitars) are getting so high that I would pick the Studio if I had a GAS attack. I think $1,300 +/- is a decent price for a great playing and sounding guitar...

ps. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSTPF3CH-14 <--- I like the sunburst too! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Congratulations on the breautiful (brute-iful? ;) ) new axe, 02R96! :cool::rawk::2thu:

I can't HELP it.....they always looked like the "budget" line of Les Paul's..."For those who can't afford the REAL thing....Same great sound, but reasonably priced!"

Oh, yeah? ;)02's is pretty sharp, and I think this one that I used to have didn't suffer at all for looks 'n' vibe... :cool:

__ http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss103/CaevanOShite/66797GibsonLesPaulRubyGemwithBen-1.jpg

It could cop a lot of Tele tone and shootin' sparks attitude, too!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Larryz - I like the sunburst too!

Actually I waffled between the Teal Blue and the Sunburst. But I thought the TB was too nice to pass up.

And I'm OK with budget. The Studio Pro is a step up from the base model which I always thought looked like a 7th grade shop project. No disrespect to anyone who owns one; it was just not for me.

Overall I like the clean lines, the fit and finish is perfect, it's a real Les Paul AND it was made by good hardworking American hands at an affordable price!

:rawk::cheers::2thu:

Dan

Larryz - I like the sunburst too!

Actually I waffled between the Teal Blue and the Sunburst. But I thought the TB was too nice to pass up.

I think you made the right choice! It looks really sharp, and the sunburst is much more common. :cool:

Overall I like the clean lines, the fit and finish is perfect, it's a real Les Paul AND it was made by good hardworking American hands at an affordable price!

:rawk::cheers::2thu:

:rawk::cheers::2thu: indeed!

I think you made the right choice too...but, I still like that sunburst (maybe because it reminds me of my old LP Deluxe in tobacco sunburst)... :cry:

Oh, yeah, definitely, those are sweet and so classic... :cool:

Archived