Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New to my Yamaha Motif8, FruityLoops, and this forum. Hi!

djfl

Hi all.

As the title says, I'm new to a lot of the music I'll be doing for the foreseeable future. I used to take music somewhat seriously, but took the last 10 years off. Thanks to discovering Faith No More a few months ago, my creative juices are flowing again.

I have much to learn and will doubtless be bugging you with questions soon. Til then, I just wanted to say hello and hope that y'all're making big money playing keys.

Cheers

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't really decided yet, quite honestly. I live in a smallish city, and everybody who's looking at starting a band wants to play classic rock. This is fine...and I am learning a bunch of older songs for local jam nights...but classic rock definitely doesn't move me.

I've never done the home recording or studio thing...I come from a strictly piano background initially...so I'm just planning on learning how this stuff all works, writing some stuff, and I'd absolutely love to join a band that has some balls to it.

Quick question: should I bother learning how to record on the Motif8? It's 15 years old and fruityloops+laptop is probably superior in every way I guess?

Anyway, how about you? What kind of stuff are you doing?

Also, your sig...I'm trying to figure out if it's lyrics or Bas Rutten. :)

Quick question: should I bother learning how to record on the Motif8? It's 15 years old and fruityloops+laptop is probably superior in every way I guess?

I like using an off-board sequencer or multitrack. I find it to be a lot easier to manage and you aren't tied down to any one program or app.

Anyway, how about you? What kind of stuff are you doing?

Right now my main focus is working on something I like to call "sonic Valium". :) I am putting together a bunch of ambient soundscapes for my wife's spa. It will save us some money on the Musak fees and maybe offer some tracks for sale for people who do the home spa thing.

I also play out about once a month for my son's Scout meetings. Always look forward to that. :)

Wow. If you don't name it "Sonic Valium", you're missing out on a potential goldmine...great name. :)

Lemme know when you're done the soundscapes and I'll play them around the house and on midnight shifts at work.

Cheers.

Archived