Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Smoke of a distant fire

StanC

Anyone covering this? Can't find the right voicing for the Rhodes part at :27 - :30. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Stan. The progression sounds complicated but it is pretty straight forward. The first group starts with an A major chord in the root position, moves to an E major chord first inversion (G#-B-E)over an A note on the left hand next to a D major in the first inversion (F#-A-D)over the B note on the left hand (really a B minor 7). The second group in the same except you add a second E chord voiced as above but with a B note in the left hand before going to the B minor 7.

Thanks! Not near a keyboard now, but I'll give it a try! I hear four strikes, so I'm guessing the first inversion Emajor is heard twice?

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

The Sanford Townsend Band "Smoke" album is one of the best albums of the 70s...these guys were studio players and had great songs and incredible recordings. I had a chance to meet them when they were the opening act on the Fleetwood Mac tour in Sept. '77. Nice guys and magnificent talents. They did two albums for Warner Bros. and that was it.

Whenever I'm trying to pick out lines or progressions, I first start with the single voice line (single notes) that catches my ear and build from there. Get that one voice correct first, then add other notes. Your ear will tell you if you're wrong. Play along with the recording, of course.

p.s. Great forgotten tune!

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

The first group underneath the vocal is three chords. The second group, the one you hear clearly because it is between the vocal lines, is four chords....the extra one being a repeat of the E chord but changing the bass note from A to B.

Yep that sounds like it! So simple it's embarrassing! :facepalm:

Stan

I have always loved this song (yeah, you can bet I was a hip and with it teenager in the 1990s)! The Purdie shuffle bits (if I'm identifying that tripplet shuffle correctly) at 1:28 and 2:20 are some of my favorite breaks in all of music-dom.

I love this song. Great band, terrific voices.

Most likely a Wurlie on the original as you say, since Jerry Wexler, Muscle Shoals Sound, and Barry Beckett were involved.

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

Archived