Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quitting funk band at end of year

timwat

Finally going to pull trigger to get outta Dodge.

Some of you know I play in a big 10-piece function band - dance covers for weddings, corporate events and the like. Been in this band for 3 years now.

I enjoy the money, and we've had some great gigs.

Some of the players are great, and I've formed side projects w/ bass, drums, one singer and my sax player.

I don't really enjoy the music all that much, and I don't feel musically challenged at all. It's a huge gas to see a full dance floor, but it's not enough for me anymore. Why?

Because the more-challenged musicians in the band (including the guitarist band-leader) are also the sources of the most interpersonal drama and lack-of-professionalism (on and off the stage). And this drama has gotten particularly personal and nasty of late. That's the reason I've had enough.

Of late, I had gotten to the point of seeing it as merely a money gig, treating it as a job (show up on time, have my parts nailed, don't make waves). But I'm finally asking myself if the opportunity cost is worth time invested.

Part of me will miss playing with the guys I like playing with, and walking away from the occasional income (which was never necessary for me).

But I'm getting to the decision horizon that the wise thing is to fulfill my commitments to the end of this year and gracefully hand in my resignation letter.

I'm just venting, I guess. So many of you have gone through similar, and worse. Figure you'd all understand.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever a band becomes just as money gig, that money is never enough for me. Funk is not my thing, just in general, I've had two different groups ask me to join them but I politely decline.

unless its far to obvious deny, I don't mention interpersonal reasons, and just advise the genre is just not my thing. if you give them time to get a replacement, you've done the right thing (whether they actually get one or not - you can't control what they do)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

But I'm getting to the decision horizon that the wise thing is to fulfill my commitments to the end of this year and gracefully hand in my resignation letter.

This sentence speaks volumes about your character. You are wise not to burn bridges.

Good luck, Tim!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

This past weekend I did a sub gig that was all soul/r&b, disco and some recent/current dance-pop tunes. Have played years of all that stuff in the past but now for the last six or seven years it's been more all tribute, classic rock and 80s-pop bands. So it was nice to revisit that, I enjoy playing that type of music even though it's not high on my list of favorites for personal listening. Floors of dancing people, and solid funky musicians and soulful singers to play with, definitely make it rewarding. Anyway, I find with my music career, no one band project can fulfill all the things I look for in gigging, they all have different advantages (maybe one project pays well and gets people dancing; another showcases my playing more; another plays bigger shows to bigger more attentive crowds who are watching and listening rather than dancing; or another focuses on some set of music that I personally love and am challenged by learning) - and I am most satisfied, least frustrated, when I am working regularly with several complementary bands at once and doing other occassional sub dates to keep it interesting. Playing the same songs with the same people week in and week out gets to be a drag in time one way or another.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I think of function bands as generally being about money, not fun. People pay attention to you, but only in a "oh yeah, and there was a band there too" sort of way. Since you say you don't need the money, look for something that's really fun.

A band I played in a few years ago, the Oakland-based Funk Revival Orchestra, is still going, playing rare groove latin/funk/soul. I never made much money with them, but it was always fun and good cameraderie. I think they need a sub keyboard player now and then, and I can't do it anymore.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Adan, sincere thanks for the heads up on the Funk Revival Orchestra. I appreciate it.

From their FB page it looks like I've played with several of their members at different times.

While the occasional income was nice to have, no amount is worth the level of interpersonal disrespect, and I'm fortunate to have a decent day gig and an active jazz life, at least for the present.

For those of us without day gigs the equation is much simpler.

I do some of these "function" gigs (here in the NY area we call them "club dates" which is kind of a misnomer). My perspective is "four hours and it's history." AKA "take the money and run", AKA "it beats a blank." :)

As long as a band is cool with what I do and how I do it, I could care less about the talent or personalities involved. We're not there to advance the art form. If I'm with a sub-par band, I just think of it like my version of filing TPS reports except I don't have to come in the next day and do it again! :)

Having said all this I've been involved with some very good club date bands, and have enjoyed myself on many of them. Here in the NY area one could easily find himself playing a wedding gig with guys who've played or are currently touring with people like Sting, Steely Dan, the Doobies, Brecker Bros, Ashford & Simpson, Aretha Franklin, Billy Joel, or the Stones I have. In my experience, playing weddings or corporate events with musicians with these resumes are the easiest & most fun to do. It's the less talented players that can make the experience a drag.

[edit] - Thinking about it a little more, it's really the less talented leaders, not the sideplayers, that can make for a bad time. I'm sure that subject could be a long thread here!

Man, all I can say is I've gone through a similar journey. I DID need the money and still gave it up. It's a business, but you gotta be happy. Life is to short to spend it with people who cause drama...period. Life creates enough drama without people artificially adding to the mix.

If you need the money, you endure a bit more. Even then, there's a limit. But if you don't need it, don't do what you don't enjoy!!!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Having said all this I've been involved with some very good club date bands, and have enjoyed myself on many of them. Here in the NY area one could easily find himself playing a wedding gig with guys who've played or are currently touring with people like Sting, Steely Dan, the Doobies, Brecker Bros, Ashford & Simpson, Aretha Franklin, Billy Joel, or the Stones I have. In my experience, playing weddings or corporate events with musicians with these resumes are the easiest & most fun to do.

And it probably goes without saying that those Supercats are never the ones causing drama.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Tim I look at this way, in my main gig - day job - I deal with a wide range of people not all of these to my liking, but thats life. In my secondary gig - playing on a covers band - I have the luxury of choosing who I play with and what I play.

Unless the dollars are important there is no point doing it unless you enjoy it. Only if the dollars are important do you need to decide where your crossroads are and what you will put up with.

MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Brotha Tim, let me join the chorus and write that if it doesn't feel right, don't fool with it.

Life is too short to be stressed out in general but especially when it comes to playing music.

Maintain those connections to other competent musos. Move on to and/or create musical situations that you can actually enjoy.

The $ will follow once you round up a few musos with whom it is fun to play. The joy will be reflected in the music. Folks will pay to hear it. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived