Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

GuitARRR

So Im about to purchase the Ernie Ball Jr. Volume Pedal..

Where on my chain should I put the this thingy!

I got

Tuner>Comp(which might get ride of cause I need a different one are ross compressors good?>Wah>Tube Screamer>Auto Wah>Flanger>Phaser>Delay

the volume peadal has a separate input for the tuner. should I maybe put it before the Wah.....

thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put it where you want. I use this pedal and it is last on my board. I want to be able to taper the volume without reducing how hard I am slamming the overdrive. I want to cut the volume before the OD I do it from the guitar. This placement gives me more options.

I played an original Gray Ross for a longtime. I thought it was noisy and sort of sucked but it was paid for. It was a cheap pedal back in the day ( a poor man's MXR ) Back in the day I would have rather had a Dyna Comp. I think it is overrated because of the Phish guy. The prices on the orignal Ross's are nuts.

There are new compressors based on the Ross that are decent. My Wampler Ego maybe based on the Ross. My favorite Compressor pedals have one thing in common. They use a dual ganged pot that functions as a clean blend knob. (Wampler Ego, Barber Tone Press, Suhr Koji etc...) Blend control makes it easy to hit a strong enough compression to bring the notes out front and center while letting you blend back in the original string attack. The compressor is my most important pedal. I like the Ego a lot.

Good Compresors without a blend control.

Comp 66 is a decent Ross clone compressor without a blend control. For Rock or funk the Diamond Compressor is really nice but for that much money I would rather have the Koji or the Ego.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The Earnie Ball works great and is a nice dependable piece of equipment. You can move it where ever you want it. IIRC, I ran mine up front. But, now that I have a Fender Floor I don't use the volume pedal anymore while playing. I use it as a master volume control and once set, I leave it alone. I use the compressor to click on the increased volume for lead and click off for rhythm. This method has helped me a lot as there were times when using the Ernie Ball that I would forget and leave it on loud, or when fading back, I would go a little less than I wanted to...but, it's a cool pedal and with practice you can get it down. It's a great way to switch guitars as you can cut your signal off completely and make the switch. It also works great for volume swells... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Do some experimenting before you decide, but here are a couple of tips;

Some Compressors will boost noise from your Volume Pedal. It's not fun to get a rising wave of crackling noise, when you press down on the pedal. If your Compressor does this, put the Compressor first in line, then put the Volume Pedal after it. Another trick is to have the volume pedal right before your Delay/Reverb pedals, so you can pull back on the pedal, and cut off everything but Delay/Reverb trails. Very nice effect for ending a song, or a solo.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

... Another trick is to have the volume pedal right before your Delay/Reverb pedals, so you can pull back on the pedal, and cut off everything but Delay/Reverb trails. Very nice effect for ending a song, or a solo.

That is cool. My verb for guitar is generally amp spring reverb but before the delay would be cool.

For pedal steel this is the way I run. I have the volume pedal before the RV-5.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived