Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A layman's first impressions on a Hammond XK1-c

mak1457

Today was a killer. I was expecting my new (to me anyway) XK-1c. I got it but thanks to my work schedule, I didn't actually really sit down with it until 12 midnight. I've been at it for the last three hours now. So here's a layman's humble opinion of his new board.

There's a lot of memories that are coming back to me of my XK3-c playing days. The controls are fairly similar and the sounds are pretty much the same (I haven't compared the two so that's arguable). I wish Hammond would have borrowed more from the original XK1's design than the SK series as to me, the SK (be it more advanced) gives a rather puny impression. I do appreciate the wood end caps although some wood on top would have been nice. I can see the critic's point when they complain about the drawbars. They do feel rather cramped and I miss the clickity feel I was used to on the XK and on vintages. But.... they still accomplish the same thing so I won't complain. People can gripe about the location of the buttons but I'm glad they didn't space them out as on the original XK1. They're a lot easier to get to now.

I'm surprised I didn't notice this until tonight but you can't play both second and third percussion like the original and the XK3c. Not a deal breaker by any means but I'm still surprised they got rid of that. And yes, as other reviews have said, it would have been nice to have a dedicated button for the reverb and overdrive. Extra cost yes but the convenience would have been nice. The vibrato is going to take some serious tweaking to get it to what I know it's supposed to sound like. I will say the chorus is quite acceptable as it adds quite a bit of bite. It may have been the settings but it felt to me that the lower registers were fat and full as they're supposed to be but the sound seemed to thin out the higher up you got. I used to think I didn't want any foldback on the upper notes but when I got rid of it, that's when and where the sound seemed to deteriorate.

As far as the play-ability, I don't really see any major issues. It appears they shrunk the keys for whatever reason but I got used to that pretty quickly. The sounds I created were decent but the presets were fun to play around with and I got more satisfactory sounds that way.

I think my biggest thing is I've never played a single keyboard before and tried to make it feel like I'm playing two. I have some learning to do in that area. Overall, I need to do a lot further exploring before I say this was a great investment. It usually takes me about a year to get used to an instrument anyway. But for playing around at three in the morning wearing headphones I think I did a good thing by getting this board.

Hammond XK1-c, Hammond XPK-100, Yamaha FC-7, Spacestation V3

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mentioning the XK1- The only thing that bugs me about mine is the non adjustable tonewheels sets. And the digital distortion is bad. A real XK1-C should have been to keep the same design as the XK1 but improve the overdrive and make the tonewheels so you could ad Jim A's tonewheel set.

I'm surprised I didn't notice this until tonight but you can't play both second and third percussion like the original and the XK3c.

XK1-C has both 2nd and third percussion - not sure what you mean here. If you mean playing both at the same time, I agree - but that's not authentic anyway.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Yes it does have both. It just sort of surprised me that it doesn't have the option to play both at the same time. True that's not authentic anyway.

The SK1 allows for both percussion harmonics to be played at the same time. I wish there was a way of disabling it.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Archived