Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Britten Piano Concerto - Recordings?

GovernorSilver

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll check in the morning when natural light makes it easier to spot my CD collection.

I have Ilan Volkov with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, at the very least, and will skim that recording tomorrow as well. But I think I had another one marked for purchase, which I heard on the radio recently. It isn't recorded very often though.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It turns out that I had my info a bit wrong; Ilan Volkov is the conductor and the marvelous Stephen Osborne is the pianist. One of the best modern interpreters for sure. It's the only recording I have, and I have no others on my search list as I really haven't heard this piece performed or recorded other than for Osborne's reading.

Sviatoslav Richter certainly would be a good bet. I didn't know he had recorded it, but it isn't surprising as he and Britten were good friends; bonded as they were by similar interpretative sensibilities as well as by the persecution they both faced for being gay (though Britten experienced much less of that after so many whopping successes; Richter's life is full of betrayals, just like Dmitri Mitropolous's is).

Richter probably has the advantage of having sat down with composer and discussed his intent in detail; whereas Osborn is more informed by the luxury of having so much go before him to draw from. I tend to like to hear performances at both ends of the time spectrum when it comes to those who had the immediacy of the times as well as the ones who have learned from many different approaches that have preceded them.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived